Donald Trump reveals when he thinks America was great

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jnpy!$4g3cwk, Aug 28, 2016.

1. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Apropos to several threads/discussions in PRSI lately, Donald Trump has now revealed when he thinks America was great:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/26/politics/donald-trump-when-america-was-great/

Since I think myself that the period 1946-1960, the Truman/Eisenhower postwar period, is a useful reference point, perhaps I ought to like Trump better than I do. Apparently Trump would like to compare himself to Eisenhower, but, I see no comparison at all.

2. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Maybe it's that his core demographic is a fan of the Betty Crocker era. She was invented way back before WWII, but as Wiki puts it

On television and radio broadcasts, Betty Crocker was acted by several actresses, most notably by Adelaide Hawley Cumming between 1949 and 1964.
    So bingo on ol' Betty in the kitchens for that timeframe, roughly.

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

In some ways, it almost seems as if I agree with Tump. I agree that the U.S., playing the role of World Police is economically unsustainable. So I'd likewise support a more active role for our allies and less presence of U.S. bases and military might.

From the NY Times ...
    But it's apparent that he actually wants America to dominate globally... he just believes that he can get our allies to pay more for it. America leads best when it shares the blessings of freedom, not when it intimidates through superior force. I'm still waiting for a leader who embraces that.

4. vrDrew, Aug 28, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2016

vrDrew macrumors 65816

Donald Trump was born in 1946. So basically he is making reference to his childhood years. Times when he was without any real responsibilities and was simply living a privileged and cosseted upbringing.

1 Corinthians 13.

There is little doubt that the United States experienced strong economic growth in the years immediately following WWII. But it was hardly the era of bliss that Trump imagines it to have been.

Starting with the fact that a very few short years after the end of WWII the US found itself losing - quite badly - an unexpected war in Korea. The first US forces dispatched to that country found themselves outgunned and outnumbered, and chased into a truly desperate perimeter around Pusan. It took a massive re-expansion of the peacetime draft and a massive increase in military expenditures to stabilize the situation in Korea. A war that dragged on for several more years, and ended up killing thirty thousand more Americans. And ended, after coming perilously close to a larger war with China, in a stalemate that persists to this day.

America in the 1950s and 60s was hardly a paradise for everyone. Certainly not for the tens of millions of black Americans, who found themselves oppressed by legalized segregation almost everywhere. Or the millions more gay and lesbian Americans, who lived lives of quiet desperation, terrified of exposure and prosecution.

Tens of thousands more Americans lived under constant threat of intimidation and fear as a result of the rabid witchunts ofMcCarthyism. Millions more lived in homes and cities poisoned by the pollution we were only slowly beginning to realize was killing us and our nation.

Its time for Donald Trump to grow up, to put away childish things, and recognize that America is pretty great already. And we have no need to return to a past he remembers imperfectly, at best.

5. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Jimmy Carter seems to have been advocating for human rights, eradication of disease and peaceful settlement of conflicts ever since he left office. We didn't seem to want to go where he was going while President though. As for opinion on his efforts post-Presidency, not everyone shares his views on the Middle East or some of the other endeavors (or their supporters) that he has initiated or joined working on with others -- The Elders in South Africa, for example, working against extreme poverty, intolerance, repression of women. Still he's a different kind of guy than the US tends to put up top, and it's interesting to me that he's just kept chugging along all these years walking the talk of democracy's blessings in so many different fields.

Somehow Americans seem to prefer the "superior force" models even when we carp about the implementations.

6. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

I think of that period as one of optimism in our future. Unfortunately, from a point shortly thereafter and throughout my life there's been nothing but baby boomers yelling at each other.

7. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Tnere are so many! I should know, having enough boomer siblings to call them a herd.

8. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

For me it's my aunts and uncles. Literally. I have an aunt that thinks Trump is too far left and an uncle that thinks Bernie is too far right. They're a joy around the holidays.

9. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Not to mention the cigarette use that was glamorized on movies and TV back then while it was really harming people. Then there were all the things not talked about, but swept under the rug instead to keep up appearances...drug use, alcoholism, cheating spouses. We might argue more now, but at least we discuss things more in the open now.

10. Admiral macrumors regular

Admiral

Trump is too far left. You guys have been so caught up in slandering him as a racist that you have convinced yourselves he shares policy ideas with the other people you slander as racist. He doesn't. Trump is an orthodox New York liberal in most material respects.

I don't know what to say about someone who thinks Bernie is too far right, though. That's perplexing.

11. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I was about to say something very similar. Easy to cite time period that you only experienced though the eyes of a child. The nuclear family, white picket fence, the milkman... Idealistic Leave it to Beaver nonsense.

I think it's rather silly to propose there is a way to make to "make America great again". I think America is a "great" county to start off with already. But we are not a perfect country and we will never will be a perfect country. Every generation will have problems- some natural, some self inflicted, some imposed by others. The best we can do is learn from our past mistakes and solve problems as best we can as or before they arise. I leave the door open for progress, as perfection is not an attainable goal. And anyone who promises anything close to it is a fool.

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Trump fondly remembering his childhood days in Jamaica Estates, eating paint chips and ****. Ah, good times.

13. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Clearly didn't read the post.