Donald Trump reviews the film "Citizen Kane"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by localoid, Jul 2, 2017.

1. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Among the best things in life is the stuff you can't make up...

Words... He knows some of the best words, and he knows how to use them. Bigly.

2. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Is that for real? (Sad, isn't it, that one must automatically ask such questions of anything purportedly said by Mr Trump).

If so, extraordinary. Suffice to say, Barry Norman (Brits of a certain age all get the reference) - who died this past week-end - he is not.

3. localoid thread starter macrumors 68020

localoid

Amazingly enough, it's 100% real.

Back in the early 200s, filmmaker Errol Morris ("The Thin Blue Line," "The Fog of War") recorded this interview with Trump as part of an aborted project titled "The Movie Movie," which, according to Morris’s website, was based on the idea of taking Donald Trump, Mikhail Gorbachev and others and putting them in the movies they most admire. At the end, we hear Morris himself asking Trump a question...

I think Morris had a special camera designed for this project that allowed the person being interviewed to look directly at Morris, while the camera recorded the conversation from Morris' viewpoint.

4. IronWaffle macrumors 6502

IronWaffle

Yeah, I remember seeing this video quite some time back. The interviewer heard at the end is esteemed documentarian Errol Morris. Here are the Kane-related excerpts of his recollection of Trump and Kane, though the full interview is worthwhile (and Morris' response to the closing question about the United States and what this election may signify has a ring of truth):

Of the film itself, Pauline Kael, the New Yorker's legendary film critic wrote a very good book on Kane and is famous for praising/dismissing the film as a "shallow masterpiece." It's message(s) aren't hard to grasp -- well, you wouldn't think they are. I once watched it with a fifteen year-old who got it. I held a screening at my home when I ran a film society and the members (ranging from mid-twenties to mid-sixties) didn't struggle with it and in fact commented they were surprised how entertaining and funny the film is in how it relays the story loosely based on the publishing tycoon William Randolph Hearst. Kane's writer/co-writer (that's complicated), Joe Mankiewicz had been cordial friends with Hearst and had visited San Simeon, upon which Kane's "Xanadu" is based, with Hearst, his wife and other guests. Over the years he learned a personal detail -- Hearst's "pet name" for his wife's, uh, private place. Hearst was quite angered to find that this private nickname being used as the key to Citizen Kane: Rosebud.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 2, 2017 ---
    How I picture Trump when watching CNN, reading the New York Times or when someone's hidden his Twitter machine:

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Absolutely extraordinary. And thanks for confirming the story.

Agreed, you couldn't make it up.

I love that movie - it is so intelligent; I love the script, the story, the multiple narrators, the acting, the lighting, the way the passage of time is handled. Actually, it has aged extremely well.

Yes, I had read that - or been told that story - about the actual origin of the "Rosebud" quote; but yes, I love how it is treated in the story.

6. darksithpro macrumors regular

Trump uses simple words, as it resonates with the crowds better. The more intelligent a candidate appears, the less of a connection they have with the common man, or typical American voter. IMO this is one of the reasons Hillary didn't connect with her crowds. The scripted vocabulary was too much and not engaging on a more personal level.

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

He did say he loves uneducated voters :p
    Trump is at or belies the level of Forrest Gump :eek: but he is a millionaire and won the election so you can complain about his tweets his vocabulary his lack of manners but the man is successful

8. darksithpro macrumors regular

In my book he's a master entertainer and somewhat of a manipulator. He's the kind of guy that everyone is paying attention to and talking about at the party, telling his stories and gloating about his achievements. He can easily fill a baseball stadium and charge the going game rate, without a script and get everyone all riled up. That's his natural ability. It's a very powerful gift to have.

9. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Wow...what insight by Donald himself. Now we know what is going on with Trump. He has found that his wealth does not make him happy and is retreating to his childhood. It's all so clear now!

10. localoid thread starter macrumors 68020

localoid

11. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I haven't seen the movie, but I must admit Trump describing it has made me want to now. He makes a better movie reviewer than President. :D

12. localoid thread starter macrumors 68020

localoid

well, he does sound more lucid that he does nowadays, but his review seems more telling about him rather than the film.

13. IronWaffle macrumors 6502

IronWaffle

I'd say he gets it about as well as I get Duck Dynasty, that reality show where Daffy, Donald and Daisy vie for Scrooge McDuck's wealth while Huey, Dewey and Louie do press interviews defending their uncle.

Lots of editing. Lots. And even then it sticks with the most generic aspects, trailing off to recognition of rosebud with only the most basic resonance. So, yeah, more lucid than "mean bill" and a tad better than I get Duck Dynasty.

14. localoid thread starter macrumors 68020

localoid

Do you think he actually watched the film?

Oh, when I said more lucid, I wasn't referring to the quality of his review, I meant he didn't seem as rambling as he is today. Even with the wonders of editing, you'd be hard pressed to take a recent audio of trump speaking and make it sound as lucid. Today, Trump's train of thought can't stay on the mainline for even a complete sentence before it hops off onto a side track, usually then quickly taking a series of even more side tracks, then starting down yet another mainline only to jump off to another side track, etc.

15. IronWaffle macrumors 6502

IronWaffle

I have no doubt he's seen it and probably multiple times. He does a fairer job in the broad strokes than I implied since I focused my analogy on amusing myself more than accurately depicting my sense; I'm more careful on the meaningful topics than something as silly as this. Silly as a favorite film for this cinephile, that is.

On Kane/Trump, the only comparison I detect is in the emptiness of character that becomes more evident in the later years — and also the private charm employed to conceal it until people get too close. Trump's current bellicosity rises to a level I don't see in Kane who, perhaps if he'd won his own race and based on the script's tenor, may have hewed more closely to his declaration of principles than Trump has. That's the trouble with fiction — outside of complex novels even a film as adventurous with multiple unreliable narrators relaying a life story defiantly non-chronologically — characters are more shaped to suit a narrative; to be made to make a kind of sense we can believe in, whereas we accept the inconsistencies of real people. I don't suspect Trump has much depth but that in itself manifests a lot of complication that will make for both compelling written biographies and hackneyed docudramas.

16. localoid thread starter macrumors 68020

localoid

Dunno... I figured one of Trump's staff wrote an executive summary of the movie and then coached him on it prior to the interview. If he did watch it, could Trump have watched it multiple times? Is his attention span long enough for that?

17. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox