"Donald Trump Rips Single Payer"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by thermodynamic, Oct 18, 2016.

1. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

what does he understand about healthcare? he has never had to buy a plan or worry about copays.

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

neither has Hillary or Obama for that matter. anyways can't fix O-care so hard to say where that is going to leave us

3. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

There's no way to fix the for-profit healthcare industry in general. The only way is to burn it down and start from scratch with UHC.

4. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Yeah why do we always have to go to the school of hard knocks.

But we can't repeal it in the USA, we would never get it back again. We have to migrate to it.

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Donald Trump cut off his severely disabled nephew's health insurance during a family despute over his father's will. Donald Trump knows healthcare.

6. mac_in_tosh macrumors regular

mac_in_tosh

I thought previously he was for universal health care.

7. 0007776 Suspended

Pick any issue and you can find Trump on all sides of it depending on when you chose to look.

8. zin Suspended

That's not the same thing as single payer.

9. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

And what's wrong with single-payer? I grew up in England - for all their faults, that system does have a privatized tier (english folk -correct me, it's been nearly 30 years) to deal with specialized care. The basic point is that humans, as an animal, want some sense of security. Roof over their heads. Access to food. Protection from hardship.So going to work for 20 years and have your savings/security wiped out because of a Medical emergency is OK why? This is ultimately a ******** argument because (a) there are plenty of countries that relieve people of the burden of individual healthcare costs - and they do pretty well. Also, (b) - so how do you judge a healthcare system? If one person takes advantage of the system does that make it invalid? 10. 100.1000.10000 people? Or, what if denying a system makes one (totally normal) person not have access to basic medical care? Does that matter as much? What does that say? What does that cost?

10. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Go look at the cancer mortality rates in the UK vs. the US. Where their adoption of new drugs is on par with the power house of the globe that is the Czech Republic. Now imagine your wife with breast cancer is being told by their government that they can't receive a given drug because it's not approved for payment by the government. That's one problem with single payer.

11. Rhonindk macrumors 68030

Rhonindk

But he does run or invest in companies that do. That means he needs at least a passing familiarity with it and staff members who do understand the current system / options. That likely gives him a decent knowledge pool to tap.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 21, 2017 ---
    That would be a serious challenge here in the US. Government cost coverage and FDA approval timelines.

12. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

I really, really hope this isn't true. Only a subhuman, orange-skinned, reptile-pig-hybrid man would do that to kin.

13. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Originally back in the early 1900s when health insurance started it wasn't for profit. To bad we can't go back to those days.

14. Rhonindk macrumors 68030

Rhonindk

15. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Ok. Even if I concede your point (I have a couple caveats) - how about as a whole. How much does a Society suffer, financially and otherwise from millions of people not having access to basic Healthcare and Diagnosis's. How much does the GDP suffer, how much do we as US taxpayers shoulder, and how do we feel as Citizens about this? It is, imo, a basic human right.

16. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

99% of us can be put into financial hardship by way of medical bills, it's a huge problem don't get me wrong and something need to be done. You asked what is wrong with single payer and I outlined one very real problem. Now if you're worried about "the greater good" that's fine. Something tells me though that if it's your wife who dies of breast cancer because she wasn't afforded every opportunity (drugs unavailable to her because the US government deemed them too expensive) your not likely going to take it on the chin and tell your 6 and 4yr old mommy isn't with us anymore for the greater good of your fellow citizen. Neither is any other American and there in lies the problem. We as a society won't accept the shortcomings of single payer and until the majority of Americans don't have health insurance they'll fight you every step of the way.

17. Solomani, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2017

Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

His agenda and viewpoints change, flip and flop with every Twitter Day.
    Of course it's true.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...cut-medical-treatment-nephew-s-sick-baby.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/03/...p-lessons-from-a-brothers-suffering.html?_r=3

18. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Well played sir.