Donald Trump Says ‘I Want to Debate Very Badly.’

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MadeTheSwitch, Aug 9, 2016.

1. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

And I'm sure he will! LOL

Got to love these weird Freudian slips he makes. I really can't wait to see him in a one on one. Mugging for the camera and insulting the moderators will only get you so far!

http://time.com/4445182/donald-trump-debate-terms/

2. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

Hillary most likely will mop Trump up in the debate(s), but if Trump plays a series of “Trump cards” and just unloads on her mercilessly, it should be great TV and Hillary will get bitch-slapped something terrible. I make no predictions. Hillary is a better debater; better at articulating. But Trump could just smash her ferociously.

3. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

But he's been doing that already, with not much to show for it. And she can hit him back on a great many things.

4. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

Totally agree. He will debate very badly. Comedy gold. I hope he follows through with the debates.

5. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

Oh, I know. Hillary has tons to hit Trump with.

6. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

That's what the moderators prevent. He is gonna cry or run away or sue or all three.

7. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

You may be proven right.

8. FieldingMellish Suspended

Q: Hillary, what are Donalds misqualifications?

Hillary answers.

Donald, you have one second to respond.

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

10. samcraig macrumors P6

But he knows words - lots of words. The best kinds of words.

11. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 603

The-Real-Deal82

You then have to assess the calibre of voter if they are impressed by a clown resorting to insults if he can't formulate an intelligent answer.

12. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

She has avoided any off script questions and stays in a controlled environment, she won't be able to hide the debates behind inconvenient days this time, they are going to set record viewership.

Wait till Trump sets her off.

13. samcraig macrumors P6

I'm less convinced she'll be set off. Script or not - online and elsewhere she hasn't been the one using low-brown tactics. That's Trump's game. Unfortunately - the debate will rest more in the moderator and their ability to keep things on point. But it won't matter afterwards because Trump will either say he won the debate and/or he wasn't treated fairly. Regardless of whether or not those are the facts.

Trump is going to need to stay on point. He's going to need to focus more on solutions rather than pointing out what's wrong with Hillary. Even his most ardent supporters have said they he needs to talk more about is plans (in detail) vs empty words.

And if anyone can be baited - it's Trump. But it's going to make for GREAT television.

14. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Trump has been off for a while. Looking forward to the comedy show. And the commentators that say he "didn't mean that" and "you heard him wrong".

Even his "policies" that he is talking about will be bad for us.

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The press is going to try and keep him alive as long as possible. He's great for ratings and eye balls.

16. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Wait till trump sets himself off Hillary is a seasoned pro trump is a child that thinks he a big boy.

17. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Wait until he goes off trying to outshout her on a rebuttal and when he takes a breath notices she is giving him the Blank Stare followed by a beat or two and "Are you done?" followed by moderator "OK we're moving on."

18. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Ha ha, then man up and stop acting like a little girl. :rolleyes: <- directed at Trump, not meant as a sexist statement.

19. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Literally my word for word thoughts when I read your thread title. :D

His year-long comedy show as it were would be a great topic for that "Jump the Shark" website. I can see lots of debate over when exactly he jumped.

20. BoxerGT2.5, Aug 10, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2016

BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Hillary SHOULD beat him in a debate. The only way Trump comes out of a debate against Hillary still standing and possibly better off is if her post debate fact check is so off the charts full of BS that she hurts herself. The Clinton's don't know what the truth is if it smacked them in the face. They make their own truth, which is often times different from the rest of ours. Hillary could face the same dilemma Romney did with flip flopping depending upon what way the wind blows. She is the prototypical retail politician who won't do or say anything without having it poll tested. That at a time when people are rallying behind the "unconventional" (Trump and Sanders). Voters know she's fake, they know she's a pathological liar, but she's running against a whack-a-loon so she's got an opening if she doesn't **** it up. If a she doesn't have any more bombshell emails or scandals that come down on her she should win easily.

21. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

He could have one HOUR and he still wouldn't be able to cut it.

Anybody sitting in the front row had better bring some plastic sheets. It'll get messier than a Gallagher show after she's through with him.

22. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I really hope the moderator will be empowered to cut Trump's mic to maintain balance. Unfortunately, during the Republican debates Trump's ability to outshout everyone impressed the authoritarian followers.

23. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I am hoping that since we are outside the primaries, outshouting doesn't count towards the debate points.

24. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I agree she should not depart fact-checked assertions about the past, although projections can be "fact-checked" only in that the checkers can dispute forward-looking assumptions or expectations.

For the life of me I will not understand emphasis on most "flip flopping" except as a convenience when lacking other ready points of debate (not a charge I'm lobbing at you). It makes for a nice sound bite but in reality -- and yes even in the perception-is-reality reality of politicians -- the earth does not stand still after we take a position on something at a point in time.

Yes, if I say one thing to you in New Hampshire today, and the opposite to someone else tomorrow in Georgia, something's wrong. In this age of instant communications, that's both stupid and self-destructive. But many a politician has taken one stand for a district constituency, another when representing a state in the Senate, and still another when becoming Speaker of the House or President of the USA.

Position shifting is not only often sensible but sometimes essential even in situations where issue pros and cons may not have changed. This is because to represent a constituency requires taking a democratic rather than provincial or self-centered view. In fact this is where the GOP voters have increasingly fallen down and taken their presidential candidates with them in recent years. They seem unable to realize that a successful national candidate must campaign to be what he is required to be: President of the entire USA.

That said, does it mean a candidate must abandon principle to succeed? No. One can follow the law while not agreeing with it, and may meanwhile appeal the law to the courts system. Further, many of the issues one debates on policy matters are less stressful on personal integrity than on ability to figure out what actually benefits one's constituency.

In the case of presidential aspirations, one's constituency is the whole USA. It's up to the House and Senate to thrash out the arguments over whose ox will get gored if we decide to invest more, or less, in our military hardware, for instance. The Presidential candidates are much more likely to campaign on "What do we need to do to ensure our national security?" For Donald Trump to home in on vetting Muslim immigrants more carefully than other groups might not fly as well with the general electorate as with some of his primary season supporters.

So when and if Mr. Trump gets out there on the debate stage, it behooves him to remember he's debating in front of the entire electorate, not a rally somewhere in West Virginia with its 5 electoral votes. West Virginia has its power centers, yes. They are currently in the Senate, and on assorted Senatorial subcommittees, not located in the audience of a presidential debate. I like West Virginia's sturdiness in the face of a long decline in its fortunes. One hopes West Virginia thinks of the nation as well as of its own interests while its representatives serve in the federal government. But what West Virginia thinks about everything, or anything, is not the be-all and end-all of the past, present or future of the USA. I wish Mr. Trump's debate prep advisors good luck getting that through his apparently thick skull. I'd be happy to see him flip-flop on a few positions he's alluded to while continuing to cater to his primary season fans.

25. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Nailing flip floppers is done by both parties, so it's not a shot per se at Hillary. The democratic party will come out full swing at a Republican (like Romney) for changing his position. There is a difference between evolving on a position over time and doing whatever is politically expedient. The problem Hillary might run in to, being a career politician, is 80% (if I had to take a guess) of the electorate thinks she'll say whatever she thinks someone wants to hear.