Donald Trump Solves the North Korean Problem

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jpietrzak8, Apr 11, 2017.

1. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Great. Just great. Trump is out with a new tweet this morning, after having met with the Chinese president:

"North Korea is looking for trouble. If China decides to help, that would be great. If not, we will solve the problem without them! U.S.A."

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/851767718248361986?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

Well, I guess since we aren't currently negotiating with North Korea, and since we are currently moving military assets into the area, there's really only one solution Trump has in mind for the NK "problem"... :(

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

3. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Appeasement doesn't work either.

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Thread title reads like an episode of It's Always Sunny.

6. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

You should read Trump's tweets in the same way that you read fortune cookies. Read it, smile and nod, then discard it.

7. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

8. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

too bad we cant do that to him as a president too.

9. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

You can. Just have to wait 3 years and 9 months. ;)

10. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

bummer for sure.

11. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Back before he was the leader of the free world with nuclear warheads at his beck and call, I would have. Heck, before he started dropping bombs on Syria in a sudden fit of pique last week, I still would have. :(

But now? They guy does whatever he wants to do, whenever he wants to do it, laws and precedents and even logic be dammed. So yeah, when he speaks his mind on twitter, it means something.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 11, 2017 ---
    Sadly, Trump is not proposing any serious solutions. (Beyond WWIII, that is.)

12. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

It makes you think, I wonder what that meeting was like between him and the Chinese President. I have a pretty good feeling that North Korea wasn't even brought up, a few fake smiles and handshakes, and then he turns around and tweets this.

Apparently at this point he's just fishing for conflict. The day after the Syrian strike, I was watching Fox News and they were talking reckless, threats against North Korea, Iran, Russia, China. The GOP loves this stuff, Trump supporters not so much, or at least those who believed he would stay out of Syria. His unpredictability is starting to show again.

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Don't forget the leadership types in the Democratic Party. I'm officially done thinking Howard Dean is anything but a partisan hack at this point given his responses to Tulsi Gabbard:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/09/politics/democratic-leaders-gabbard-syria/

14. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

You mean by adding "(between the sheets)" to end of the fortune?

Mmm...maybe.

15. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

See? Works exactly the same. :p

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I think the issue is that the evidence does appear (this time) to be pointing towards Assad doing this. It was apparently a nerve agent, which the rebels would struggle to produce - especially as they are so divided.

The problem Assad has is that as well as winning the war (the easy bit) he has to win the peace. And winning the peace was always going to be ugly.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 11, 2017 ---
    North Korea is turning into a genuine threat. Maybe not for the US (yet) but for Japan and South Korea.

17. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

They are, but they can also be contained for the moment. The ideal is to contain them until they collapse from internal pressures or reform like Cuba has.

18. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Trump doesn't do red lines, he has an on/off switch.

19. ThisBougieLife macrumors 65816

ThisBougieLife

I hate the fact that North Korea has to be a serious problem. Why do I have to worry about this joke of a nation? Can't they just do the rest of the world a favor and not exist?

20. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Yes, as soon as they get nuked.

21. ThisBougieLife macrumors 65816

ThisBougieLife

Well, I'd support a private nuking for Kim Jong Eun and his associates. Then mass-deprogramming for the people.

22. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Here we go -- both sides are now in official brinksmanship mode. North Korea has now responded to Trump:

North Korean state media warned on Tuesday of a nuclear attack on the United States at any sign of American aggression, as a U.S. Navy strike group steamed toward the western Pacific - a force U.S. President Donald Trump described as an "armada".​

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-northkorea-nuclear-idUSKBN17D0A4

So, how will Trump respond to this? I'm sure he'll find a way to cool things down and get everybody talking again, right? He's just so good at that.

EDIT: Oh, another interesting quote from Trump, this one given to Fox:

"We are sending an armada. Very powerful," Trump told Fox Business Network. "We have submarines. Very powerful. Far more powerful than the aircraft carrier. That I can tell you.”​

Hmm. Our most powerful conventional bombs tend to be dropped from aircraft. So, what submarine-launched device would be more powerful than a conventional bomb? :(

23. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

24. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Why don't they take it to some other galaxy...

25. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Well they are out of their minds already. I think they should meet in person and Duke it out.