Donald Trump: Taker

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, May 20, 2016.

1. rdowns, May 20, 2016
    Last edited: May 20, 2016

rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Now we see one reason he won't release his tax returns.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...a2f63c-1b7c-11e6-b6e0-c53b7ef63b45_story.html

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I suspect he's holding back until the fall to challenge Hillary to release her Goldman-Sachs transcripts. A brilliant strategy.

3. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Why? So they can look terrible together?

4. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Hillary is hiding the transcripts because her speeches are full of effusive praise of Wall Street which will embarrass her greatly and outrage the Democratic base even more. There is nothing in Trump's tax return that can embarrass him.

5. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Of course not, he is unembarassable (I made up a new word). I think a whole lot of Americans would have a problem with him paying zero federal taxes.

6. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

I think the better way to put is that there's nothing in his tax returns that'll make him any more guilty than anyone else.

Trump is listed in the Panama Papers many a'times according to this latest leak. This means he's yet another culpable party of the Wall Street/Government endorsed tax cheat train that's slowly choking the country. In the end, he's likely as much a part of the process as Hillary, albeit on a slightly lower level.

So yeah, they'll both end up looking terrible together.

7. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Having not seen his tax return and knowing what we now know about his late '70s returns, how can you make that claim?

8. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

That's a challenge that will be laughed off. Clinton released her tax returns. We are waiting to see Donald Trump's. Why would Clinton release scripts of her speeches as a supposed leveling of information? That doesn't make any sense.

9. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

so is Hillary.

10. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

He's going to pay a big price for not releasing them and we can expect Hillary to continue to pounce all the way to election day, he obviously has a lot to hide if he's willing to take the hit.

11. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

If he didn't break any laws, what is the problem? Why should he have to pay taxes he doesn't legally owe? Perhaps he had losses to offset income, making his income tax liability equal to zero.

12. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

You're still regarding Trump as a traditional politician. If he paid zero taxes he'll boast about it and promise to fix the system that permitted him to pay zero taxes. Unemployed steelworkers, autoworkers, coal miners, et al don't give a damn about Trump's taxes. They want their jobs back; the same jobs that the Republicans and Democrats sent to China in the name of "free trade." They want their homes back too, the homes that they lost to Wall Street bankers that foreclosed on them; the same Wall Street bankers that paid Hillary $260,000 for a 20-minutes speech. If you believe harping on Trump's tax returns will make a whit of difference then you are willfully living in the past and unable to grasp the new American zeitgeist. Bernie gets it, so does Trump. Hillary doesn't.

13. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Yeah, I know. I'm just pointing out the fact that holding Trump up as some paragon of the honest good old fashioned American businessman, the antithesis of the Wall Street enabling, overly pandering political type represented best by Hillary, is likely to be a pretty misguided notion.

[​IMG]

14. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Seriously, what is this picture going to prove? That Trump met with VIPs? It's the jet set, it's normal. That's who they meet. It's part of who they are. Should I blame Hillary for meeting with rich dudes? No. She was the first lady, and a senator. part of her dayjob is making other VIPs happy.

15. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

proves Trump BOUGHT Hillary :D

16. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

It doesn't prove anything either way. It doesn't prove that Trump is bad, and it doesn't prove that Hillary is bad.
    It's like all the pictures of a leader/diplomat meeting with another controversial leader/diplomat (such as Rumsfeld and Saddam). They met, so? It's what they do most of the time.

17. FieldingMellish Suspended

Trump earned big money as a businessman. Hillary earned big money as a public servant. Which means of enrichment sounds more sleazy than the other?

18. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

As with any salesperson, Donald Trump capitalizes on panic and desperation. Critical thought and careful examination are the enemy. He does well with those who do not have the time or interest to understand nuance and think things through fully.

19. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

so it is ok for the rich to be able to afford to get laws passed to benefit them alone? Your willing to pay more so he does not have too? you are generous.

20. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Write to your representative, get involved in local politics. Complaining that a rich dude did everything by the book is like complaining that you use your standard deduction (or any other deduction) on the 1040 because the law is allowing you to.

21. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Hillary went into politics to do good and she did very well indeed.

22. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Like the salesmanship of the Clinton Foundation?

23. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Well, it is pretty easy to hate lawyers...

Okay, it's not at all difficult to accuse Hillary and co. of using their position to scratch some Wall Street backs. It's all but obvious that, like every other politician we've had over the last umteen years, she's pretty well beholden to some special interests. This is Trump's major appeal. He's not "one of them".

But if it turns out that he's been getting his back scratched by Washington all these years, same as everyone else in his position, does that make him better than Hillary? Does his appeal as an outsider still stand if we all find out he's just as much a contributor to the the same issues we're all raking Hillary through the coals over?

24. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Uh? No. They CAUSE panic and desperation.

25. FieldingMellish Suspended

I like my comment better than yours. Simple and effective. And ... True.