Donald Trump wants to put astronauts ‘back on the moon by 2020 and claim it for America’

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MadeTheSwitch, Feb 12, 2017.

1. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

So I can totally get behind Trump on efforts to boost involvement in space, although taking over the whole moon might be a little much and I doubt that will fly with the rest of the world. But I think expecting private companies to get there in only three years is overly ambitious. But then like most everything else, I doubt that Trump has any understanding of what is involved. It's not like building a building.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2831486/donald-trump-nasa-moon/

2. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

This will be my one and only Donald Trump post EVER...should I fail and add more, members have permission to shoot me

Trump is not a politician, he is and has always been a businessman, and seeks to apply running the USA along those lines. The man is unqualified, has dubious backgrounds, and I simply wish he had not been elected..I did not vote Trump, would never have voted Trump and that's it...no more PRSI EVER:):)

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

If Trump hurries the moon landing the way he hurried the Yemen mission...BOOM!!

As far as being able to claim the entire moon for the US...yeah, I kind of think the rest of the world would have something to say about that.

4. samcraig macrumors P6

Is it true he wants to own the first KFC franchise on the moon?

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

This is twofold. One, we're clearly interested in militarizing space, and two the wizards in Silicon Valley and their hedge fund backers are extremely interested in mining in space (you know....rather than focus on fixing the planet here first).

6. flyinmac, Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2017

flyinmac macrumors 68040

flyinmac

It's not like any other country has been in a hurry to put people on the moon.

The US Flag was planted there a long time ago. Would be an interesting process to claim the moon. Could be very similar to how people claimed America.

But, then again, why would another country care to challenge ownership. It's not like the United States can selectively turn off the moonlight if another country doesn't pay their moonlight bill.

In other news... the Alien species "Mootians" has announced that they already claimed all planets, stars, and moons many centuries ago.

They have given the people illegally occupying planet Earth one lunar year to vacate the planet.

Notice has also been given that we are to return the planet to the condition we originally found it in. Failure to restore it to its original condition, and take our trash with us, will result in hefty fines which we will never be able to pay off.

The interstellar law states that any species unable to pay their debts are destined to become indentured servants.

7. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Initial Mission Plan submitted for President Trump approval:

[​IMG]

In all seriousness, 2020 might be a bit tough, but 2025-2030 timeframe is doable. I think that the SLS is scheduled for launch next year, and Orion has orbited Earth farther than anything else since the Apollo Missions...

8. TMRJIJ macrumors 68030

TMRJIJ

Well... We do have quite a few nukes not getting used right now.

9. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

10. zin macrumors 6502

Well, this certainly wasn't a campaign promise. I would be truly amazed if he managed to pull off new visits to the Moon by 2020.

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

The deadline is so early because he only expects to last one term

12. jeyf macrumors 6502a

trump is 70y old;
    likely the ~1969-72 moon landings were the last vivid memories he has left.

13. 0007776 Suspended

We are a long ways away from there being any profitable business opportunities outside of earth's orbit. Maybe in the future there will be a way to bring back resources from the moon or asteroids, but for now viable commercial activities will be limited to satellites and some space tourism for billionaires.

14. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Think of the walls that will be needed to keep the Mexicans out! :D

At least there are no known indigenous life forms to slaughter this time.

15. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

wife sent me my valentines day card
    [​IMG]

16. samcraig macrumors P6

Does he want to build a wall on the moon?
    Is this is future deportation plan?
    Does he want the first hotel on the moon?

So many questions...

17. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

Good. Give NASA a proper budget, get them back to the moon, get then on the way to mars, build a real visitor friendly space station. Give rich people
    Something to spend their money on.

18. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Meanwhile NASA (and others both publicly and privately funded) are focused on the likes of the more than 50 moons of Jupiter, much much farther away. The Earth's moon is now mostly the purview of children's books, though still fascinating to behold while remembering that mankind has actually set foot there.

So much background to catch up on. Donnie's bedside night table must be stacked to the ceiling.

Here's a place that could sorta help him get up to speed, assuming the budget's not "inadvertently" slashed.

19. SusanK macrumors 68000

Mexico will pay for it :)

20. 0007776 Suspended

Agreed, unfortunately it seems that he wants private companies to do the work.

21. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

I'm good with both doing the work if possible.

22. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

And that's just not going to happen. Private companies need an economic reason behind mere rich people tourism to fly to the moon. There's literally no point in a private company going to the moon.

And really, how does a private company claim the moon for America anyway?

23. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I think Trump just wants to be able to say, "America is giving the rest of the world a big full moon"

24. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

save the tax payers money :D

25. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone