Donald Trump would be honored to meet Kim Jong-un

jpietrzak8

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 16, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Well, par for the course, I guess. Amidst all the sabre-rattling and brinksmanship, Donald Trump said this about Kim Jong-un today in an interview with Bloomberg:

“If it would be appropriate for me to meet with him, I would absolutely, I would be honored to do it”​

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2017-05-01/trump-says-he-d-meet-with-north-korea-s-kim-if-situation-s-right

I don't think anything means anything to Trump. He'll be treating you like a valued partner one day, then start dropping bombs on you the next. And he'll probably expect you to act like a friend again the day after that.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
Why was it good for Obama to meet with and eat hot dogs at a baseball game with a murderous dictator but it's wrong for Trump to do so?
Lets see were we ready to go to war with that dictator? was that dictators firing missiles all the time and testing nukes and threatening the us with nuclear death? other then that of course it is all the same.

ibookg409

Suspended
Apr 20, 2016
Portsmouth, NH
Lets see were we ready to go to war with that dictator? was that dictators firing missiles all the time and testing nukes and threatening the us with nuclear death? other then that of course it is all the same.
Seems like a good thing to meet with your enemy. You just self detonated your own point, Steve.

Reactions: Gutwrench

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
Seems like a good thing to meet with your enemy. You just self detonated your own point, Steve.
you want trump who insults our allies to meet with our enemy and you think this is a good thing? man are you sure your not using pot??

Reactions: 8692574

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
In one sense, meeting with Kim Jong-Un means that Kim's threats have worked to bring the US President into town for a photo op.

Nobody can expect the DPRK's state media to portray Trump as doing anything but praising their Dear Leader. Well, maybe as caving to Kim's demands.

ibookg409

Suspended
Apr 20, 2016
Portsmouth, NH
In one sense, meeting with Kim Jong-Un means that Kim's threats have worked to bring the US President into town for a photo op.

Nobody can expect the DPRK's state media to portray Trump as doing anything but praising their Dear Leader. Well, maybe as caving to Kim's demands.
Who cares what they think. A little striking of Kim's ego is a small price to pay to avoid nukes striking Hawaii or us launching on Korea. Is it worth risking war to win a pissing contest?

Reactions: macs4nw

jpietrzak8

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 16, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Why was it good for Obama to meet with and eat hot dogs at a baseball game with a murderous dictator but it's wrong for Trump to do so?
What would Trump be attempting to get out of a meeting with Kim (or, for that matter, Duterte)? Obama met with Castro at the tail-end of a multi-year diplomatic process to improve relations between the two countries. (And, BTW, I'm pretty sure it was Raul Castro, not Fidel, that Obama met with; so, maybe not quite the same dictator you're implying.)

Trump is just doing what Trump always does. He says whatever seems convenient to say in his stream-of-consciousness response to questions. He'd probably say the opposite thing an hour later.

Reactions: Eraserhead

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
Who cares what they think. A little striking of Kim's ego is a small price to pay to avoid nukes striking Hawaii or us launching on Korea. Is it worth risking war to win a pissing contest?
When it's the equivalent of a kid being taken out for ice cream after crying and stomping and throwing paint all over the house, then no, this isn't an appropriate reward.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
This is actually good development, it could start some high level discussions with North Korea. Let's see if Kim reacts, although it might take years.

mudslag

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2010

The Right had a problem with Obama meeting Castro or are we ignoring that part?

ibookg409

Suspended
Apr 20, 2016
Portsmouth, NH
The Right had a problem with Obama meeting Castro or are we ignoring that part?
I said as much. I don't thinkbobsma should have been palling around with Castro and I don't think Trump should pal around with Kim. Meeting to avoid war is different than meeting to watch baseball.