Donald Trump would be honored to meet Kim Jong-un

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jpietrzak8, May 1, 2017.

1. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Well, par for the course, I guess. Amidst all the sabre-rattling and brinksmanship, Donald Trump said this about Kim Jong-un today in an interview with Bloomberg:

“If it would be appropriate for me to meet with him, I would absolutely, I would be honored to do it”​

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/...t-with-north-korea-s-kim-if-situation-s-right

I don't think anything means anything to Trump. He'll be treating you like a valued partner one day, then start dropping bombs on you the next. And he'll probably expect you to act like a friend again the day after that.

2. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I wonder if it is because he wants to build a hotel and golf course there? two of the biggest leader idiots meet personally? what can possibly go wrong?

3. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Why was it good for Obama to meet with and eat hot dogs at a baseball game with a murderous dictator but it's wrong for Trump to do so?

4. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Lets see were we ready to go to war with that dictator? was that dictators firing missiles all the time and testing nukes and threatening the us with nuclear death? other then that of course it is all the same.

5. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Seems like a good thing to meet with your enemy. You just self detonated your own point, Steve.

6. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

you want trump who insults our allies to meet with our enemy and you think this is a good thing? man are you sure your not using pot??

7. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Yes Steve.

8. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

In one sense, meeting with Kim Jong-Un means that Kim's threats have worked to bring the US President into town for a photo op.

Nobody can expect the DPRK's state media to portray Trump as doing anything but praising their Dear Leader. Well, maybe as caving to Kim's demands.

9. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Because Trump is a republican, and Obama is not.

10. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Who cares what they think. A little striking of Kim's ego is a small price to pay to avoid nukes striking Hawaii or us launching on Korea. Is it worth risking war to win a pissing contest?

11. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

What would Trump be attempting to get out of a meeting with Kim (or, for that matter, Duterte)? Obama met with Castro at the tail-end of a multi-year diplomatic process to improve relations between the two countries. (And, BTW, I'm pretty sure it was Raul Castro, not Fidel, that Obama met with; so, maybe not quite the same dictator you're implying.)

Trump is just doing what Trump always does. He says whatever seems convenient to say in his stream-of-consciousness response to questions. He'd probably say the opposite thing an hour later.

12. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

When it's the equivalent of a kid being taken out for ice cream after crying and stomping and throwing paint all over the house, then no, this isn't an appropriate reward.

13. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Raul Castro?

14. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Yup

15. PracticalMac, May 1, 2017
    Last edited: May 4, 2017

PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Trump: "I would be honored to do it" (edit: meet with Kim)

Really???!!?!!!1?!?!?!?1?

16. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Wait, so now War is cool and diplomacy is lame?

17. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

nothing wrong with diplomacy but trump unfortunately is not a diplomat. I can't imagine him defusing the situation can you?

18. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Diplomacy is great! However, giving bloodthirsty dictators a high-five and telling them "you're awesome!" is not so great.

19. samcraig macrumors P6

So you think it was good that Obama met with Castro? I never would have thought you'd say that.

20. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

David Cameron is a murderous dictator?
    [​IMG]

21. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

This is actually good development, it could start some high level discussions with North Korea. Let's see if Kim reacts, although it might take years.

22. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I admonished it at the time. Others here championed it as a great step forward in healing our relationship.
    --- Post Merged, May 1, 2017 ---
    Depends on who you ask.

23. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

The Right had a problem with Obama meeting Castro or are we ignoring that part?

24. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I said as much. I don't thinkbobsma should have been palling around with Castro and I don't think Trump should pal around with Kim. Meeting to avoid war is different than meeting to watch baseball.