Donald Trump's Listening Session With Mass Shooting Survivors Was Really Powerful

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by RootBeerMan, Feb 21, 2018.

1. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

For once in his life he managed to actually act presidential and the event didn't end up being about him. Kudo's to him for finally doing something right. I found it interesting that the people attending, (from the current school shooting and previous school shootings) did not toe the current anti-gun line and call for bans of any kind. The mentioned needing more mental health processes, arming teachers and increasing security at schools. All logical and sane ideas from people who have been touched by the same tragedy. Hopefully, folks like this will be heard by the masses now clamouring for gun control and bans and we can move forward and get something substantive done. In the meantime, good job, Trump. You got something right, for once.

http://reason.com/blog/2018/02/21/donald-trumps-listening-session-with-mas

Video of the event is here:

2. ViperDesign macrumors 6502a

ViperDesign

I think the best and most powerful moment was when the Father who lost a daughter stated that how come after 9/11 we made changes to make sure it won't happen again, how come after all of these school shootings we still haven't done what's necessary to fix the problem. The NRA is a HUGE problem whether anyone wants to admit it. They pubicly came out already and said they do not want age limit to buy AR-15 type weapons to move to 21 from 18 like Handguns already have. I have to ask myself, why? Its an extremely powerful weapon that does battlefield damage to people on city streets.

3. samcraig macrumors P6

It was great to hear everyone's opinions. And yes, good that Trump held this and aired it live. I wish he didn't need notes like "I hear you..."

4. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

The audience was hand-picked, that's why they didn't "toe the current anti-gun line and call for bans."

5. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

6. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

All the NRA and their donors are doing are guessing how many teachers there are, the average cost of a gun per person, and how many guns they can sell.

The GOP answer is always literally “more guns”.

“A teacher killed students”.

“We need to arm the janitors”.

“The janitor killed students”.”

“We need to arm students.”

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Sure, someone goes off and does a tour in afg or Iraq and when they get back you can tell them they aren't old enough to carry a firearm.

Nothing makes the ar15 more dangerous than any other semi-auto weapon. There have been some good proposals like red flagging people, but in this case the FBI had all the info they needed to stop this and failed miserably.

8. ViperDesign macrumors 6502a

ViperDesign

That same person can't drink either or buy cigarettes in some states.

I have no problem with them having it in war. But at home it's not needed.

9. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

That's not for you to say, unless you can get an amendment passed. I've had a firearm since before I was a teenager, no one died.

10. ViperDesign macrumors 6502a

ViperDesign

Okay. So I guess a person can die for his country but he can't legally have a beer , or a cigarette but you're perfectly fine with that right.

11. ViperDesign macrumors 6502a

ViperDesign

So just like normal things in life, sometimes you rethink what's good at certain ages. Like alcohol, cigarettes, marijuana etc.... Things change because people die and people get smart.

It's time we got smart about guns. There are too many deaths and too many guns.

12. samcraig macrumors P6

Arming teachers? These same teachers have to pay for their own elmer's glue.

13. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Maybe a defense weapon locked in the principals office but holster on each teacher seems a bit much.

14. ViperDesign macrumors 6502a

ViperDesign

Here's a simple solution (s)

No backpacks allowed
    One main entrance into school.
    Upgrade security so if another door opens video will show what's happening. Only can open from outside except cases of an emergency

That alone would help cut down on the ability to get into the school

15. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

16. TiggrToo macrumors 6502a

TiggrToo

Kids run outside for recess, wacko with a gun sits outside waiting for recess. Meanwhile School has less teachers to watch over the kids after having to pay half their budget on electronic security measures, resulting in more confusion and multiple children murdered in the playground.

Brilliant plan there. What's next, mini Trumpian border walls around our schools, gun turrets, armed guards at 50 yards outside each school, minefields?

We need to get out this the reactive mode - all this is reactive noise.

We HAVE to start looking into the causes of why people go postal and stop THAT from happening.

17. RootBeerMan thread starter macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

I'm certainly not fine with it. I remember when an 18 year old, who served or not, could go in and get a drink in a bar. Of course that was back before the harridans against freedom started their yammering. Fortunately not all states have embraced the 21 or older for a smoke. Any fool that wants to kill themselves with smoking should be able to. Just as they're allowed to join the military and take their lives in their own hands. I, like many people, am pro-choice on pretty much everything. Nanny's need to keep their hands to themselves and stop interfering with the rest of the populace.

18. ViperDesign macrumors 6502a

ViperDesign

While you're looking at figuring that out another person will do it. They do it because they are crazy.

Not once did I say arm more people or add turrets. Way to take what I said and completely go crazy with a simple solution.

19. RootBeerMan thread starter macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

I am certain that there are plenty of instructors in this country who would be more than willing to train teachers pro bono. I've taken classes and very few are expensive. The state would be able to cover any expenses quite easily.

20. nrvna76 macrumors 6502a

I think his point is if you fortify the actual school you just move the target point for an attack. Such as school start or stop, or the school bus, etc..

21. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Since Handguns are concealable and rifles are not, are probably why an age restriction. I think we need to move everything to one age. Either your a legal adult or your not. 18 or 21, whatever.

I consider the AR-15 round to be underpowered in many cases. Pro's and Con's to every rifle.

As I stated before, Its not like the NRA is that powerful, just the people and members who stand behind the NRA are.

22. TiggrToo macrumors 6502a

TiggrToo

Your solution was not simple. You any idea how much synchronized security doors with video cam control costs? Schools can barely afford textbooks and pencils as it is and you want them to blow tens of thousands on security measures that'll do nothing to help fix the problem?

And no backpacks? You for real?
    --- Post Merged, Feb 21, 2018 ---
    Hers - but apart from that, correct!

23. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

Nobody on the education system wants to see teachers carrying guns. It’s an incredibly foolish idea.

24. ViperDesign, Feb 21, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2018

ViperDesign macrumors 6502a

ViperDesign

Backpacks help conceal items so why not ban them.

Do you honestly think any solution will not be a costly one?

25. linuxcooldude, Feb 21, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2018

linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

I know some state lotteries are suppose to go toward education. If so, where is all that money going?

Our school, no backpack or lockers.