"Donald Trump's Long-Held Promise To Pick Rabidly Anti-LGBT Supreme Court Justices"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by thermodynamic, Oct 20, 2016.

1. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/miche...omise-anti-lgbt-supreme-court_b_12551640.html

Which probably means a few more things along with LGBT rights, but the article seems gung-ho in making it gay-only.

Thankfully, after a while, a reference of a little substance (with inference) is presented:

Hope the Log Cabin Republicans don't turn all Mafia III as a result... I'm sure they won't care. Gay republicans last decade didn't so why would they now? Unless they got paid more by a competing lobbying group?

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

3. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Hey ask that guy. If that was a Republican opinion piece you all would be all over it in attack mode.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Not at all. I'd call him a jackass for writing such a stupid piece.

5. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Well he's not a Republican is he still a jack wagon?

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Yes, he's a jackass.

7. jerwin macrumors 65816

Are you sexually attracted to one sex over another? Why is this? Have you ever considered choosing the other side?

Consider that the first "choice."

Taken into account your first "choice," how will you choose to express it? What sort of political choices will you make? What sort of social choices will you make? What sort of cultural choices will you make?

Consider that the second "choice."

The first "choice" informs the second "choice". Some of what the second "choice" encompasses reflects a history of states governments punishing the immediate consequences of that "first choice-- i.e Hardwick was punished for having sex with a gay man, and not for acting "gay".

8. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Is this another way of saying it's a choice? Or saying it's only a choice when a person steps outside the group think?

9. jerwin macrumors 65816

Do you prefer to have sex with women? Do you prefer to have sex with men?

10. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I think that question is too broad. Prefer implies that everyone likes both but just leans one way or another. Instead the question should be framed as "Who are you attracted to, and which gender do you have sex with?"

Have always hated that preference word. It implies bisexuality on everyone's part. I don't think that's the case.

11. jerwin macrumors 65816

But that's the point. Some things are choices. Some things aren't choices. And some choices depend on things that aren't choices.

12. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Homosexuality in my mind is in a way a choice... but not really. There are two factors:
    1) The sex you are attracted to- the opposite in homosexuality. This you cannot chose. You can't change it, shouldn't change it, and don't need to.
    2) The choice whether to express your homosexuality. You could live your life openly as a homosexual, or live in "The closet" pretending to be a heterosexual- getting married to the opposite gender, having kids. In the past the latter was a means of social acceptance and social survival. But I don't think it needs to be that way. And I can only see living in the closet does far more damage to the individual's psyche than good. Most people have th intrinsic need of sexual satisfaction. Therefore point 2 here is irrelevant.

I am amazed in 2016 the topic of LGBT marraige is stil an issue. I don't see why people care so much about other people's love and sex lives- especially considering personal heterosexual details are already quite taboo in our culture. People need to mind their own business.

13. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

It's all about religious control, which the powerful use to stay in power.

14. samiwas macrumors 65816

Nice try, but complete failure.

Being gay is not a choice. Having sex with someone, whether same or opposite sex, is a choice.

I am attracted to women, and only women. But if I decide to go out tomorrow and have buttsex with a dude, that doesn't make me gay.

Still can't figure out how you decided that "The Dems" have said what you quote.