Donald Trump's New Economic Advisory Team: The 1%

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bradl, Aug 5, 2016.

1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

And next in the serious of Trump's Blunders, we have this announcement coming from his camp.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...s-economic-team-the-ultra-rich-to-the-rescue/

So a Good 'ol Boys Club and the 1%, and still pisses off the female vote. This is absolutely going to kill the populist movement, and underscore the premise of OWS and their fight against the 1%.

His approach and tack remind me of the Thornton Melon approach to business from Back To School.

This will not turn out good.

BL.

2. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

So is it the fact that these people are in the 1% that bothers you?

3. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Why is it always 1% or 99%? Whatever happened to 100%? "We, the people" and all?
    --- Post Merged, Aug 5, 2016 ---
    Nice. I had a number of colleges not entirely dissimilar to that. To a point. :)

4. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Trump can argue these are business people who know what needs to be done to make more people as wealthy as they are. This is a guy who lives on turning stuff upside down.

Anyway the Repubican base has been voting to give ever more effective power to this collection of people and their peers since around 1980. Why should self-interest suddenlyl overtake their minds?

It's hard to say how Trump supporters who are fans of Trump's politilcal incorrectness will take this. Probably wait to be cued up by Trump. "They can help me make America great again, we have the best ideas, the best ideas.

Maybe Paulson at least can tell us when to short college loan derivatives?

5. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

No. In fact, I'm not bothered by it at all. What I'm finding hilarious is that Trump is undermining his own work for appealing to the lower class, middle class, and blue-collar workers (which you have to admit, he made significant gains on) by bringing in their polar opposite: rich, successful businessmen who actually earned their fortunes off of the people Trump is courting (through hedging against the housing bubble/financial crisis), who all happen to be close friends of his.

We ripped on GWB for bringing in the same good 'ol boys club that was there when GHWB was POTUS; the same thing is happening again, and we wait to see which people, both in and outside of this forum, will give him and them a pass.

BL.

6. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

1% or 99% because we like high contrast. None of this namby pamby 50-50 stuff.

What happened to 100%? Long story involving rounding errrors; dollars to billions is a hassle.

We, the people...

Woody Allen once ran a winter holiday riff in TNR about peace on earth and good will to men. Something about the lamb shall lie down with the lion, and the lamb shall not be too sleepy.

If Trump is in bed with these guys then the 1% should definitely wake the hell up.

7. FieldingMellish Suspended

What's better than successful persons advising on economics?

From Bloomberg: The billionaire has promised lower taxes and dropping the business rate to 15 percent, which Kudlow said is “right out of the Reagan playbook” and could be “the single-most stimulative economic-growth policy right now.”

Kudlow was quick to add that the candidate hasn’t signed off on the Reagan crew’s tax ideas, though he said Trump told them: “Go and talk to some of my staff.”

8. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

When has a democrat (the champions of the little people) ever brought on a "Blue-collar" worker in an economic advisory role? Didn't Obama have Buffet and Schmidt on his economic advisory board? Yeah, they know a thing or two about living pay check to pay check. Usually you pick people who've run a company, as they might actually know something.

9. FieldingMellish Suspended

And it's not all peaches and cream with kisses on top.

Bloomberg: Even the Reagan supporters are leery of Trump’s threats on sweeping trade tariffs. They can support the kind of highly specific sanctions that Reagan used, but not large-scale import taxes. Still, Kudlow said Trump would probably be a strong negotiator on trade agreements.

10. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

because they get laws passed to benefit them take advance of others to get what they want stomp on the little guy going up the stairs of profit. they don't live in the normal world where most of us exist.

11. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

They cut their teeth on "what's in it for me" and it's not possible to erase that after awhile even if their assigned duty swaps to public servant category and the "me" is supposed to become "the USA".

12. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Yeah right. Like politicians don't get influenced by lobbies. Hillary has plenty of 1% in her pocket
    https://www.opensecrets.org/pres16/contrib.php?id=N00000019&cycle=2016&type=f&src=b

13. samcraig macrumors P6

Trump's plan is to create his own government that benefits his businesses so that during and after his 4 years, he will ensure his brand is financially set for years.

I hope he's at least considering some valuable foreign policy advisors aside from himself and his good brain.

14. FieldingMellish Suspended

Is Apple in the 1% and stomping on the little guy going up the stairs to profit?

15. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

No argument on that. But the problem here is that if you've listened to any of his stump speeches, he's been doing nothing but catering to the middle class and saying that he would not need any money or other contributions from those in the higher/upper class. Yet here he is, bringing them in.. Should hypocrisy get a pass?

BL.

16. FieldingMellish Suspended

I don't know. Did Trump happen to conveniently meet these guys on a private plane, isolated somewhere out on the tarmac?

17. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Deflection as usual, leading to an apologist. Thank you for proving my previous post to be correct.

BL.

18. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

My first thought when I read it was "banker and a real estate guy, 2008 here we come!".
    My 2nd thought was "I wonder what they will do to make things better for themselves and their friends"

19. FieldingMellish Suspended

Were Republican emails captured that revealed Trump stacked the deck against his 16 opponent candidates?

20. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Deflection and Apology #2. Keep it up, as you are proving my point.

BL.

21. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Why would the Russians do that? It doesn't help their candidate.

22. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

You have an entire party (democrat) who is the self proclaimed champions of the poor and middle class, yet they haven't lived up the standard you're now calling Trump out for in their appointments.

23. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Why not? People were saying Obama - an "inexperienced and ignorant community organizer who got lucky in a senate election" according to them - had brought in experienced people for areas he didn't know. Both some detractors and some supporters were in virtual agreement.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 5, 2016 ---
    Poor, yes. Wealthy, arguably. Middle? How so?

24. FieldingMellish Suspended

Your point will be disproven when Trump is president and America is made great again. There will be a surplus of jobs for everyone who wants a job.

25. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

No, don't stop. It's really good stuff! Is this all your own material?