Donald Trump's strong stance on NK worked, Little Kim backs down!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by darksithpro, Aug 14, 2017.

1. darksithpro macrumors 6502

Trump's strong stance on North Korea seems to have payed off guys and gals. That's right! The little dictator backed down. You guys where worried about his fiery rhetoric, but it seems to have payed off. Good job Trump!

https://www.wsj.com/articles/north-...attack-threat-1502751054?mg=prod/accounts-wsj

"SEOUL—North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has decided not to launch a threatened missile attack on Guam, Pyongyang’s state media reported on Tuesday, but warned that he could change his mind “if the Yankees persist in their extremely dangerous reckless actions.”

2. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I doubt it since he came off like a rubber worm but that won't stop him thinking he scared the little prick.

3. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Depends on where you read this, as it sounds like another article to fit someone's narrative.

We have this from the BBC:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-40931775

No-where does it say that Kim has "backed down". The sources (both the BBC and yours) state that Kim has been briefed on the plans to launch. As he hasn't launched doesn't mean he's backed down. So you may want to change your OP, let alone the title of the thread, because it is false.

BL.

4. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

Wow, that's great news. This has the potential of being the start of a deescalation. That is assuming Trump doesn't tweet something to stoke the flames.

This obviously is just one small gesture. Honestly I wonder if they even have the capability to effectively target Guam.

NK still has not agreed to stop nuclear weapons development. But this is a step in the right direction. There is still of course a long way to go and things could reverse very quickly.

I suspect China deciding to instantly enact the sanctions probably made them realize China will not be supporting them.

5. darksithpro thread starter macrumors 6502

The WSJ said Kim decided against the Guam launch, that means he backed down.

Mattis might have also had something to do with this:

6. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

The way I see it this is Kim's way of backing down. Kim, as a dictator, doesn't strike me as the type of person who will explicitly concede. This is his way of backing down while also saving face.

7. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

And I see no mention of NK scuttling their nuclear or delivery ambitions.

8. darksithpro thread starter macrumors 6502

This is YUUUGGEEE! Trump's got balls man.

9. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

He hasn't backed down. If he were backing down, he would scrap his plans for firing at Guam altogether. Being briefed != backing down, nor does waiting = backing down. You and the OP are drawing way too much into what the articles are telling you.

Again from the BBC article:

Last week, North Korea warned that a plan was being drawn up to fire four missiles into the sea off Guam, where US bombers are based.

North Korean leader Kim Jong-un has been briefed on a plan to fire missiles towards the US Pacific territory of Guam, state media says.

So by all means: explain to all of us on how being briefed on a plan = backing down, let alone waiting on what we do. That does not mean backing down.

BL.

10. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I could argue that Trump has nothing to do with this development, but it doesn't necessarily matter...any de-escalation is a win.

11. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

I'm not sure this is "YUUUGGGEEE". Its a great step in the right direction though. There's still a long way to go for NK to disarm their ICBM and nuke projects.

I don't like Trump, but I'm willing to praise him on what he does well, and criticize him on what he does wrong- as objectively as I can. The fear I have with Trump is he often takes one good step forward, and then takes 2 bad steps back.

12. darksithpro thread starter macrumors 6502

A nice way of saying thanks, without giving POTUS any credit.

13. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

14. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

If it made you feel better, I could say "thank you Trump". My point is that I'm happy with the result so far.

15. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

It appears to me he is deescalating the situation by signaling this change. Call it what you want, but even "reconsidering" his plans to bomb Gaum is a very good thing.

16. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

See post #14.

And proof that one should never go the early crow.

BL.

17. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

18. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

19. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

20. darksithpro thread starter macrumors 6502

And in that link it reads "But Kim stated he would watch the “foolish and stupid conduct of the Yankees” a little more before deciding whether to give an order for the missile test."

He's grandstanding to save face, after he backed down.

21. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

You added in "backed down", not the article. That is your opinion on the issue, not what has transpired.

Again, see post #14. And again, proof you never go the early crow.

BL.

22. darksithpro thread starter macrumors 6502

Actually no, the threat of a trade war with China prompted them to do that.

23. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

man, I can't have any fun in this thread...

24. darksithpro thread starter macrumors 6502