Donald vs the press, a huge cluster.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacNut, Nov 21, 2016.

1. MacNut, Nov 21, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2016

MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

http://nypost.com/2016/11/21/donald-trumps-media-summit-was-a-*****-firing-squad/
    Glad to see Trump turning into a president...

2. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

You need to find a way to make links work again.

3. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

4. zin macrumors 6502

Probably not true. Made up, like the liars they are.

It'd be great if it were true, however. American mainstream media needs more than a verbal dressing down.

5. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Yep. I think the press needs it big time. They should also talk less about gossipy stuff, that's for the web.

6. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Good luck. The press has been getting away with it since the late 40s. Doesn't stop Trump from speaking twaddle and digging himself hole after hole of lie.

7. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Tell the profanity filter that.

8. twietee, Nov 21, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2016

twietee macrumors 603

twietee

He's an attention *****. His whole friggin' enterprise needs the media all riled up and hysterical.

He beats that horse of the lying press till everybody gets their "news" from silly facebook feeds.

9. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

So this was an of the record meeting, why would the media agree to something off the record that they could not report on.

10. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Well, that "filter" is more or less like an open secret so. I don't mind fixing it myself.

11. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

so were the candidates.

12. samcraig macrumors P6

Given his record. Totally true.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 21, 2016 ---
    I'll take "conversations no other President-elect has ever had with the media for $200"

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

14. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Generally, off-the-record meetings can give room for sorting out coverage negotiations, something that would very good for an incoming president to have.

This shouldn't have been an opportunity for a "dressing down." If Trump thinks this, he should have the conviction to let in a camera and a recorder.

While I think cable media screwed up the Trump story, this is a ridiculous reaction from the President-elect.

15. Hawkeye16 macrumors regular

They did a good job of not reporting something that was "off the record"... oh wait.

Plus he wasn't too far off. The media (on both sides) was nothing more than a circus show this election cycle. Not even trying to hide extreme bais.

16. samcraig macrumors P6

Now that there's no Hillary - Trump needs a strong enemy to project onto. The media has been a great punching bag for him to cry victim. This shouldn't surprise anyone.

He doesn't want the media to fall in line. In fact, he wants them ferociously angry at him so he can divert attention away from more important matters.

This is how he operates and shouldn't surprise anyone.

17. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

That depends on who leaked the story to the NY Post. Note, only a few outlets agreed to the meeting and the off-the-record constraint. The NYP is not held to that same standard.

18. vrDrew macrumors 65816

It's going to be a long four years. I was at the gym the other day, and someone came in and turned the tv on to Fox News. Even though I had earphones on, and couldn't hear his braying lies and bigotry, it was still hard to avoid catching sight of that loathsome cretin.

I was discussing with my mother how things could be worse. I remarked that a four-year prison sentence would probably count.

And then she reminded me that prisoners often get time off for good-behavior. And I realized that America cannot hope to get such relief. We are stuck with Trump and his gloating, his boasting, his fundamental dishonesty. His vulgar clothes and his obnoxious manner. No matter how hard we try, no matter how well we behave - we're stuck with him It's possible he might die, or resign, or be impeached. But I'm not the sort of person who would wish for that. And an impeachment or resignation would the country through still more undeserved agony.

I feel our country has been sentenced to suffer a horrible punishment for crimes I know I did not commit.

19. Hawkeye16 macrumors regular

You feel a 4 year prison sentence would be better than living through this presidential term? You should probably read the quote in your signature.

20. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Mainstream media wasn't nearly as awful as at least one of the candidates.

21. vrDrew macrumors 65816

No: I said that a prison term would be worse. So would a deadly cancer diagnosis.

But there is the possibility one might recover from cancer. And one's prison sentence might be commuted in some way. But we are almost certainly stuck with Trump for the next 1500-odd days.

22. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Ha. I joked to my editor that I wanted another international assignment and he said, "You and everyone else." My friend just went back to Bangkok and I'm incredibly jealous that she won't have to deal with this.

23. macmee Suspended

macmee

I would think it must be kind of fun to write about and attend his conferences in person.

And if he personally attacks you, then it's kind of cool because not a lot of people can say they've been attacked by Donald Tru--

oh wait, nevermind.

24. chown33 macrumors 604

Older than that:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_journalism

Yellow journalism, or the yellow press, is a type of journalism that presents little or no legitimate well-researched news and instead uses eye-catching headlines to sell more newspapers. Techniques may include exaggerations of news events, scandal-mongering or sensationalism.
    The term was extensively used to describe certain major New York City newspapers around 1900 as they battled for circulation.[3]​

"Those who do not remember their past will be condemned to play it backwards and find hidden Satanic messages."
    -- Jorge Santana

25. samcraig macrumors P6

When has Trump won any libel cases? That should be "some" indication of whether or not the media has been reporting on him accurately or not.