Donors to G.O.P. Are Backing Gay Marriage Push

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Macky-Mac, May 14, 2011.

1. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

Republican donors providing a major source of funding for a pro gay marriage bill? Who would have thought?

NYTimes report

2. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Perhaps some forward thinking conservatives who've realized these bogus "family values" bs campaigns aren't working anymore?

3. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

4. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

That really is outstanding of them. I consider myself fiscally conservative, but socially liberal. I side with Liberals because I refuse to impose a pointless, capricious, morality on others. Perhaps that might change, but I'm not holding my breath.

5. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

It's smart thinking on their part. Left on it's current course, the Republican base will continue shrinking over time. They cannot continue to attack what they consider to be outside groups and push them away. Because as some point, they themselves will become an outside group. And then what will they do?

The best course of action for the Republican party would be to drop the social issues, and run on a purely economic one. Oh...and drop the big business backroom back patting deals while they are at it. Those aren't serving them well in the perception of people either. They need an image makeover. Maybe doing things like supporting rights for ALL people will help.

6. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

That sounds like the Libertarian Party.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Andrew Sullivan had an interesting take on his blog.

8. IntelliUser macrumors 6502