Don't Ask, Don't Tell, Do Kill

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Oct 1, 2008.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

http://www.newsweek.com/id/155656

Gee thanks, Dubya. Those Iraqis sure are enjoyin' that there freedom we gave 'em. :mad:

The saddest sentence is the very last one.

2. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

hmmm...so what is your opinion on the atrocities commited by saddam and his cronies???

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Don't be obtuse. Clearly, many Iraqis are not better off now. Or do you find this acceptable? Wait- don't answer...

4. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Some of the things he did were horrible. I don't see the need to kill a million people because of it, though.

5. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Glocke posted and ran as usual. :rolleyes:

6. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

While dictatorship is a deplorable form of government, the U.S. has to understand that in some countries it's the only way to maintain stability. Saddam was an @sswipe, for obvious reasons, but he was able to keep that peculiar country in check. Iraqis aren't a malleable bunch of generic people who were waiting with bated breath for democracy if only someone would give it to them, their clan-based culture is so radically different from the traditionial western/judeo-christian culture in terms of structure, values and social codes that it's basically a different planet. When you dethrone the guy who's sitting on the powder keg to keep it shut, you can't be surprised if all hell breaks loose.

7. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

vrooooooooom.........

cant sit around and post all day, but i do like to check in.

Anyway, how am I being obtuse? The atrocities of Saddam are well documented.

I think this is just someone looking for a reason to slam W and the US once more.

I agree on the needing a dictator part though. Some societies are just unable to govern themselves.

8. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

It's not unusual for that to happen around here. As soon as somebody gets their opinions challenged and can't reply to it with more propaganda then they disappear after the embarrassment has worn off.

I guess whilst they are running they can't type here, so we all win.

9. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

HAte to disapoint you, but I did reply.

Also, believe it or not, all of us are not college kiddies and need to work for a living and pay attention to our jobs during the day, so cant post every single minute....

10. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Yes, it is true Saddam was a bad man.
    So why are'nt we taking care of the other dictators with atrocities?
    surely they are just as bad if not worse?
    why did Bush target Iraq specifically?....

11. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Bush: "After all, this is the guy who tried to kill my dad at one time"
    link…

Dubbya took it awfully personal…
    :rolleyes:

12. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Hey- some of us are over 40 and work 50+ hours a week and still find time to post. :rolleyes: Get off your high horse.

How were you being obtuse? Well gee Glocke- do you actually think I'm going to defend Saddam Hussein? Do you really? The reason I said that line was sad was because things WERE actually better for the people in the article under Hussein. That is tragic indeed.

Do you think that some atrocities are acceptable and others aren't? It sure sounds like you do.

13. aristobrat macrumors G4

Are you having a bad day today or something? You called the guy out for "posting and running" after he hadn't responded in 20 freaking minutes and now you're bent out of shape because he was sarcastic back at you?

14. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

When I read stuff like this, yeah it p***es me off. It should p*** you off too. And I answered him after he asked a stupid, baiting question.

15. yrsonicdeath macrumors 6502

Sub-issues of this thread aside. Thanks for posting an article I may not have seen otherwise, Lee.

16. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Well thank you. At least someone is willing to comment on the actual article posted. ;)

17. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I guess they already came for the Jews??

Hitler had a different list priorities, but I'm sure Gays were in there somewhere. :rolleyes:

18. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I doubt there are many Jews left in Iraq. We were definitely on the list, but I don't think we were last.

This is why this makes me angry:

My friends and family have been or are over there right now. Is this what they've been fighting for?

19. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

You're not disappointing me because I didn't say that you hadn't/wouldn't reply. I was replying to Lee and saying that it's not unusual for it to happen. Surely my use of 'they' gave this away?

That makes two of us, then.

20. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

So women and homosexuals are worse off now than under Saddam. Glad to know my tax dollars are going to spreading freedom so effectively.

What was the reason we went to war in Iraq again?

21. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Weapons of mass destruction. A war against terror. They could launch and attack within 45 minutes. Any BS reason that you can think of, but certainly not oil.

22. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Not only women and homosexuals, but also Jews, Christians, Yazidis and others. Everybody, in fact, apart from some Kurds and the Marsh Arabs. Besides which, the electricity supply, water supply and health infrastructure were in a better state even after US efforts (contravening the Geneva Conventions as usual) to wipe out power generation during the first Gulf War and years of subsequent sanctions. We had no right whatsoever to target Iraq for regime change or anything else.

23. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Actually minority groups like gays and Gypsies were among the first to be persecuted and shipped off to concentration camps. The inverted pink triangle, which is s symbol of gay pride today, was originally an 'ID badge' that the Nazis made gay men wear on their clothes.

Lethal

24. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I used to wear a pink triangle button in college. People would ask me about it all the time. It was an easy way to come out.

25. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Democracy sure is messy, isn't it?

It's ironic that those who used (and continue to use) Saddam's brutality as a casus belli are now willing to ignore the brutality of the current crop of leaders because they're "our" leaders. Just as Saddam's brutality was once ignored because he was "our SOB" at the time.