Don't buy 9'7" iPad pro if you're not going to use the pencil with it! (It's only an advice...)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by joscejrod, Apr 9, 2016.

1. joscejrod macrumors 6502

joscejrod

The title of the thread says everything. Today, I have been comparing ipad air 2 (starting at 399$. And you can choose the 64gb version for 499$) with 9'7" ipad pro (starting at 599$ with only 32gb). No differences on real performance, with split view or multitasking. About same weight, same dimensions (so same feel in your hands). The cameras are very good, but... I don't see myself carrying a full size ipad to take photos. The screen is almost the same (with antiglare or contrast, true tone not useful with videos or photos (you really have to turn it off if you want to see real colours of that content). Very good speakers with MUCH less vibration at high volume.
    Summary: buying the ipad pro is not worth it, unless you know you're going to use the pencil a lot...

2. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

Today at the Apple store I saw exactly this scenario a Mother of her adult son and his 13 year old daughter. Buying this 80+ year old lady an iPad Pro with keyboard and Printer. The Big iPad Pro so She could see things Bigger. And watch Movies in bed. The old lady could not even Lift the iPad Pro, she had a walker also. 100% shes gonna drop it.

3. RedOrchestra Suspended

As someone posted on another thread -

"The A8X (Air 2) represents the end of an era with Apple you don't want the fastest last gen tech you want the Newest Gen Tech and thats A9 level and A9 level GPU. A9X even better."

BUY the 9.7" iPad Pro.

4. GDF macrumors regular

I disagree. I purchased the iPad Pro 9.7 and also own an iPad Air 2. I think the screen is so much better, that when I use my Air 2 now, it looks very dim and not as colorful. The screens are no comparison. I don't think I can go back to the Air 2.

Also - I am really starting to like the keyboard that Apple made for Pro 9.7. Make the iPad a lot more enjoyable when typing.

I wish what you said below was true, as then I could return the 9.7 and save some money. But, I think the 9.7 could be a keeper. :)

5. Newtons Apple, Apr 10, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2016

Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Is also can not agree. I bought the pencil but barely used it after the first few days. Not sure where it is but the 9.7 is still quite nice, even coming from the Air2

6. joscejrod thread starter macrumors 6502

joscejrod

What things can you do better with this ipad to justify the higher price?

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

The problem is, you've already said that you don't think photography and sound improvements are useful. So, YOUR opinion is that it isn't worth the upgrade. And for YOU, that's fine; don't upgrade.

But for me, and lots of other people: better sound and improved screens/photography are absolutely better AND justify the higher price. The wider color gamut on the Pro screen IS better for photography and videography than the Air 2. And for me, the improved speakers are definitely worth the upgrade.

And even if you're not getting the Pencil or Smart Keyboard today, getting an Air 2 completely shuts out that possibility unless you want to spend again on an upgrade mid-cycle.

The 9.7 Pro isn't for everyone, but that doesn't mean a blanket statement like yours is valid or true, either.

8. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Improved sound quality is a pretty good improvement. Sound is great on the 12.9 version and very good for my filming and tv shows.

9. melman101 macrumors 68030

That's why I'm sticking with my cellular model iPad Air 2. I don't see a reason. However I understand how it's awesome for people. I've had this since launch so I can get a few more miles out of it :)

10. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Summary... "except for all of the things that make the 9.7 Pro better than the Air 2, the Pro is not better than the Air 2." :eek::confused:

11. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I find the screen quality, sound, speed, and accessory options to be worlds better than the iPad Air 2, which is a fine tablet in its own right. I even have a renewed interest in sketching and drawing with my Apple Pencil, which I said I was only going to use here and there for notes. The new smart connector can also not be understated--it turns using a keyboard with iOS into an acceptable option instead of a clunky Bluetooth based workaround.

12. joscejrod thread starter macrumors 6502

joscejrod

Yes, it had justified the higher price if the change had been like old price changes. New ipad at 499 and old ipad at 399. But 200$ more only for the "pro" name. Why is pro? Why 200$ more? Here in Europe, ipad air 2 starts at 429€ and ipad pro at 679€. 250€ more!!! Come on guys... Because it supports the pencil? The change between ipad mini 2 and ipad mini 4 on screen/camera/performance quality was the same(or superior) to changes between ipad air 2 and ipad pro. Remember displaymate review "the screen on ipad mini 4 is the best tablet screen ever with 2% screen reflectance and colour gamut near perfect". But that change didnt' increase the price. So, because of that, that is my opinion...but I'd like to know yours:)

Note: I bought an ipad mini 4 and sold my old ipad mini 2. The upgrade was perfect and worth the Price.

13. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

You seem to keep insisting that this is just an Air 2 with a different name and higher price tag. We're trying to explain to you why that's not the case.

14. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

For elder people with bad eyesight, yes, the big iPad is GOOD. My boss and my mom both got the 12.9 iPP because they liked that the bigger iPad made it much easier to see things on the screen. Yes, it's heavier, but that's what stands and pillows are for.

15. joscejrod thread starter macrumors 6502

joscejrod

Of course is not the same ipad. It's the new generation 9'7 inch ipad. It's speedier, with better screen, better cameras, better speakers...but like it was with:
    -iphone 6>iphone 6s (3d touch, 4k camera, 5 mpx front facing camera, 7000 series alluminum, a9, 2x ram (remember that ipad pro has same ram of air 2), always on siri...) and it was released with same price that iphone 6 was released. 699$.

Why apple has increase so much the entry price of the top-of-the-line 9'7" ipad? That's my question... And about smart connector, a lot of people that have review the new keyboard case for 9'7 model say that shrink model (of 12,9 version) is much worse and not comfortable to use it...

16. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Tell that to the 1st 64-bit CPU folks with the iPad Air 1

17. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

That may be your opinion, but otherwise it's irrelevant to others.

I have both the APPLE Pencil and Keyboard purchased upon their release. While quite nice for my giant, yet rather unwieldy iPad Pro, they're nothing magical.

18. seadragon Contributor

seadragon

The title of this thread is hilarious. Like it's some dire warning. One person's opinion dictates what everyone else should do? Shout to the world not to buy something because THEIR opinion is that its not worth the price? LOL.

Whether it is worth it or not is subjective to each individual, not a global statement of fact.

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Better sound, which is important to a lot of people.

The camera is another advantage. The extra port and keyboard.

I understand that you don't find value in the 9.7" IPP, and personally, I'd opt for the 12.9" over its little brother myself, but I don't think you can that as a matter of fact that the Air is better then the pro. It may be better for you and your needs (which is fine) but others are finding value in it.

20. cynics macrumors G3

I actually agree, in a less aggressive way though.

I feel the price of the Air 2 is good if you don't have plans on using the Pencil.

21. melman101 macrumors 68030

I have the Microsoft foldable keyboard for my iPad Air 2, and my only wish is Thani got a keyboard case instead of it.

Then, that got me thinking about the iPad Pro 9.7" and the apple Smart Keyboard. But oh well, I can hold out.

22. wolfedude88 macrumors regular

wolfedude88

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Every time a new iPad comes out it is better than the last gen, the 9.7 pro is better in every way, but no way should they have jacked up the price a 100. I'm not saying it's not worth it, but considering how the iPad Air 2 was a lot better than the iPad Air 1 and didn't raise 100 dollars, I see no reason this one should have either. It's honestly just because of the pro name.

I realize it has so new accessories it can use that the others can't, but Apple always adds things to make the new ones better.

Still I see why some would need or want the new 9.7 pro, but they should have kept it at the same price.

23. joscejrod thread starter macrumors 6502

joscejrod

You're right. My words could be misunderstood. Maybe my english has sound too aggressive...but the idea is that. 9'7" ipad pro is like an ipad air 3 with pencil support and smart port. Well, in the past apple released ipad mini 3. And all of us can remember how many changes introduced...touch id.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 10, 2016 ---
    Exactly!! You could't have explained it better!!
    This is the idea that I wanted to share with you in this thread...

24. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

I was just going to say much the same thing. There's no doubt the Pro 9.7" is an upgrade over the Air 2, you just can't argue with that, it's better and faster hardware. That's a simple fact.

If it were called the iPad Air 3, people would likely be proclaiming how much better and faster it is over the Air 2.

I'm not saying the Air 2 isn't still a great buy. It's definitely a great and perfect choice for people who's budget it fits. It'll give you many happy years of use. The Pro, will give you probably 2 or 3 years more.

And before anyone starts shouting about the RAM, I'll just say this and I'm not going to argue on it. No it's not, the bottleneck I see when I'm developing apps is not the amount of memory, it's the chipset.

For instance, I've had apps running great during development on an iPad Air with 1GB of RAM. When you drop to the previous generations iPad 3 & 4, both of which have the same RAM, neither of which get anything like the frame rate of the Air 1.

The same is true of iPhones. iPhone 5s and 6, 1GB RAM, lovely performance. iPhone 5, also 1GB of RAM, nowhere like the same performance.

You'd be surprised just how well iOS can cope with 1GB of RAM or more obviously. I still am sometimes when I'm monitoring the load on the system during development. Is there a difference? Well, of course. But is 2GB something to be concerned about? Not for quite some time that's for sure.

I could ramble on for several pages, thank you morphine :D but I won't for a change I'm just going to stop before I end u........
    --- Post Merged, Apr 10, 2016 ---

You may well be right that they are doing it because they think with the Pro name they can just bump up the price.

Another option though, is that we've been lucky these past few years that they have kept the price the same and now is just the time it's increasing. I'm not saying that's what it is, just that there's always more than one possibility.

25. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

For me it is camera, screen and speakers. I am not here to convince you, I do not need to justify my purchases to anyone but myself.