Don't buy an iphone today!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Italianblend, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

I was just thinking how tragic it would be if someone bought a new iphone today, the day before the announcement of the next model.

Of course, some people wouldn't really care if they had the latest and greatest, but I'm thinking more in terms of price - because you probably can save yourself some money on an iphone 5 or 4S in a few days...

If you bought an iphone today, tell us why!

I guess there are people who are just walking around a mall, walk into an apple store, and just on a whim, buy an iphone...without knowing anything about the announcement.

2. Brenz macrumors member

I don't think you will find any of those people here....

3. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

4. powerslave12r macrumors 6502a

Doesn't Apple automatically update unfulfilled orders with the latest update anyway?

5. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

Is the new iPhone coming tomorrow? Wow, didn't hear anything about it. I planned on going to buy a new iPhone 5 tomorrow at 10 a.m. PT,

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

From apple, 30 days, carriers have their own return policy, many seem to have a 14 day return period.

7. Italianblend thread starter macrumors 68000

Italianblend

What do you mean? How will they update the order if you walk in and buy an iphone 5 today?

----------

No, the new iphone isn't being released tomorrow. There is a keynote presentation tomorrow that will unveil the new iphones. If you were going to buy an iphone 5 tomorrow, you might want to hold off for the new model, or hold off until the new pricing takes effect. Just investigate it before you go in and buy it.

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I bought one two weeks ago for my wife, knowing full well what happens tomorrow. It's a case of there's money for it then or no money for any phone now. And my wife didn't want to wait another month.

So…we got her an iPhone 5.

9. powerslave12r macrumors 6502a

I was thinking placing an order online.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, they can just return it tomorrow.

11. Afbar1114 macrumors 6502a

when do the usually go on preorder? and will i be able to get one on preorder? lol

12. Jman13 macrumors 68000

I was at the Genius bar on Sunday getting my iPhone 5 replaced (dust trapped in the camera...walked out with a nicely new (refurbished) iPhone 5. While I was waiting and the tech was trying to clean out my camera (got all but one big spot out, thus the replacement), I heard another 'genius' talking to a customer with a 3Gs right next to me. Her touch screen had started going wonky, and he told her the repair price for out of warranty repair, then told her it might make more sense to upgrade instead. (I agree)....and then started talking about the 5 vs 4S vs 4 and the pricing...she said she was interested. The guy left to go get some stuff, and I leaned over and simply said....BTW, the new iPhone will be announced on Tuesday, so you may want to wait a bit, since even if you want a 5, it'll be cheaper....

The Apple guys may not have been happy, but I had to save a customer from instant regret. :)

13. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Apple gives you a time window to return your device. You can buy an iPhone 5 now, and return it after a few days.

14. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

Ignore the OP he is spreading rumors.. just order or buy the iPhone tomorrow.
    There is absolutely no way a new iPhone will be announced tomorrow.
    :apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

15. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

I went to Bullring Birmingham tonight to get my i5 replaced as it had a faulty vibrate motor. They even tried to fix it while I waited but said it was the same on the replacement sensor. I got a new i5.

That aside, the i5's were still flying out the door, I guess some people just don't realise? :eek:

16. Serelus macrumors 6502a

Serelus

I am pretty sure that those who don't know about tomorrow's event will get informed when they walk into a store anyway.

17. avanpelt macrumors 68030

"Tragic" is an overstatement. Take the iPhone 5 back and exchange it for the new one. No harm done.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The challenge is that the new iPhones may not be immediately available tomorrow but a couple/few weeks from now.

19. skyking517 macrumors regular

I work for a carrier partner and I am definitely letting people know, and yes people are coming in to but iPhones today and don't have a clue. I would be a grimy sales person to sell someone a 4 or even a 5 today.

20. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

You'll know when. By all the queues!

To the OP I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who don't know about tomorrow's announcement. However I doubt they read Macrumors.

21. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Some of us just don't care. I don't need the newest or greatest and all the features that I've seen reported here about the 5S are insufficient to motivate me to wait for the new iPhone or return one to get the new iPhone.

Add in the usual "malfunctioning, bad build quality test batches" that the new iPhones tend to be at launch before Apple gets the manufacturing process down right and it's just not worth it for us.

22. scott99 macrumors 6502a

A friend of mine texted me on THE DAY Apple announced the the iPhone 5, that he just bought his first iPhone, the iPhone 4S. I told him he had time to return it and wait for the 5, I doubt he did it though, he's lazy.

23. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

To whom is this admonition directed?

The readers of MacRumors? One would be safe in assuming that the readers of this Forum probably have a pretty good idea the a new phone is coming out in the immediate future...and can make their decisions well informed.

For those who do not read MacRumors? Ahh...well...:p

:rolleyes: :D

24. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The term preaching to the choir comes to mind :)

Most people here won't buy a new phone, just because they know about it. Many consumers don't have their finger on the technical news pulse so they're possibly unaware

25. dave420 macrumors 65816

Just don't tell that to the person who just agreed to buy my iPhone on Craigslist ;)

If you can get a good deal on a phone then it still could be a good time to get one.