Don't call pregnant women 'expectant mothers' as it might offend transgender people

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by RedOrchestra, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

2. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Before you guys get too angry, you might look at the source.

It's another of those silly booklets aimed at preventing future lawsuits. If you have ever read through one or had to run through some nonsense video training sequence, you know that they tend to be ridiculous. They are not generally reflective of underlying cultural sentiments. They're focused on the appearance of potential liabilities. That's how they sell these silly training materials.

3. RedOrchestra thread starter Suspended

I disagree, I think this language position by the BMA is incredibly troublesome.

4. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Fair enough. I'm not a fan of political correctness, and this doesn't seem necessary.

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Who the hell calls them Expectant mothers? I have never heard that term in public.

6. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

"I disagree, you should never check the source until after you get angry"

7. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

8. RedOrchestra thread starter Suspended

Are you saying that "The British Medical Association, the trade union and professional association for doctors and medical students in the UK" who have issued this directive for their workplace is not credible and such directive will have no influence outside their workplace - is that what you're saying?

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

10. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

11. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

I am not surprised at anything lately. Especially since we've had no Christmas, but Frankie's Holiday.

12. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

"A large majority of people that have been pregnant or have given birth identify as women. We can include intersex men and transmen who may get pregnant by saying 'pregnant people' instead of 'expectant mothers'."

im not going to say "pregnant people" ever again! I didnt know it was so easy to get pregnant...

13. iDemiurge macrumors 6502

iDemiurge

This is pitchforks and torches material folks. Everyone who calls a pregnant woman a "expectant person" not to offend some brainwashed identity-militant should be unfit to live in society. Have no fear to be vocal. Enough is enough.

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Whatever. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't worry too much about that trickling down into the common vernacular.

15. GrumpyMom macrumors 603

GrumpyMom

When I was a kid a popular skit on Saturday Night Live had characters called "Coneheads" and if I remember correctly the kids in the family called the mother and father "parental units". It seemed so funny back then but now I'm starting to think it's going to become "a thing". :confused:

16. Herdfan macrumors 6502

I have never really heard it used in spoken language, but there are signs at some local stores reserving parking spaces for "Expectant Mothers". They are pink with a stork on them.

17. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I have. But no big.

This is about what healthcare workers call their patients ... not about what anybody says on the street.

So I wouldn't sweat it.

18. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Well it's better then saying, hey are you getting fat?

19. citizenzen macrumors 65816

That would be one bad doctor.

20. iDemiurge macrumors 6502

iDemiurge

This is what healthcare workers will eventually be FORCED to call their patients, contributing to make health care even more alienating to patients, not to mention the alienation this terminological uptightness is already producing among the general public.

21. skottichan, Jan 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2017

skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

I'd never heard it either, and I have a lot of friends who're mothers and they'd not heard it either. I asked my mom, she's in the medical field (Occupational Therapist), and some doctors, generally the freshly out of school ones, use "Expectant Mother".

I wonder if it's a UK vs US thing?

I grew up in the 80's and I got hooked early on SNL by one of my uncles, and calling my mom "Maternal Unit" became a thing for me. I still refer to her as that as an adult.

22. A.Goldberg, Jan 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2017

A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I doubt this reccomendation will trickle down to medical vernacular, aside from what the BMA publishes. I think it's important to remember the transgender community, especially the pregnant transgender community, is quite small.

Side note, there are plenty of things in medicine that still go by "outdated" or alternative terminology.

23. GrumpyMom macrumors 603

GrumpyMom

As I was thinking on this a little more, I became puzzled why a transgender person would be offended by the term "expectant mother". Honestly, from the few transgender people I've known in my life, I've known them to be pretty laid back and flexible in their thinking and actually probably wouldn't. I think this is probably someone trying to head off potential trouble with those on the very fringe in their viewpoint.

I guess it's because of the way my mind works so literally sometimes, but to me if a person is biologically able to carry a baby to term, that person must still have their female organs and is therefore still technically biologically female. The word for a female parent is "mother". "Expectant mother" is therefore a proper term for a biological female awaiting the birth of her child.

Once the child is born, if this person chooses to resume living as a man or start living as a man and act in the role of a male parent, then "he" can then designate the term "father" or whatever he chooses. I certainly would respect that.

I get that someone who is biologically female but sees themselves as male might balk at the term mother, but jeez, if that's the case then how does she/he even wrap their mind around a pregnancy to begin with? Because until medical science has a breakthrough, in our species, only biological females can bear children. It's a very female thing to do.

If you can't embrace that female part of yourself for nine months, before you change your biology and lifestyle to match your mental perception of your gender, it may be best to consider a surrogate, rather than to deny the feminine nature of what you're undertaking and denying the majority of women their right to be called an "expectant mother" or just plain old "mother".

I think this almost discriminates against women who are mentally and physically women, if we bend our language all pretzelly to pretend women don't have babies and that men do, just to avoid POSSIBLY offending the teeny tiny fraction of humans who want their bodies to perform an exclusively female function while believing themselves to be male.