Don't dance at the Jefferson Memorial

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Surely, May 29, 2011.

1. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Chose not to watch, but why would you even want to?

Next stop, dancing at the Tomb Of The Unknowns, at Arlington?? :mad:

2. Surely thread starter Guest

Surely

I don't see how one would lead to the other? They weren't there to disrespect Jefferson. :confused:

I watched the video, and I felt it was worth posting here for others to see. It made me a bit angry that people aren't able to express themselves freely at Jefferson's memorial, of all places. It made me a bit angry that the officer/security threatened to arrest them if they started dancing, and when they asked what the charges would be, the officer didn't know and said "you'll find out."

I understand that these people may have been antagonizing the officers a little, but that isn't enough to arrest people, is it?

3. 184550 Guest

I didn't have to watch either; the title was enough of a tip off for me.

IMO its quite obvious the only aim of 'Adam' is provoke 'The Man'.

People like that deserve the **** they get.

4. Surely thread starter Guest

Surely

I agree that if your aim is to provoke without reason or cause, you deserve the consequences. I'm sure they expected to be arrested, however I don't think they did this for ***** and giggles.

It doesn't bother you that if you, as a freedom-loving American, decided to do something as harmless as dancing at a place like the Jefferson Memorial, you would be arrested for it? Even if you were with a few other people? :confused:

Wouldn't it have made more sense to allow them to dance, keep an eye on them to make sure they didn't do anything destructive, and then let them go on their way? That way the police look tolerant, and the dancers get to be happy that they were allowed to express themselves freely.

5. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I agree. Who wants to join me for a ho-down at ground zero? :rolleyes:

6. 184550 Guest

Not at all. I studied for four years in the DC area. I know that the various law enforcement agencies there have zero tolerance for inane displays of freedom of speech.

Now, had they had a permit/ other authorization for their little exercise, sure, go wild.

No, it wouldn't. That's how trouble starts. Group One might be perfectly harmless but Group Two joins in and suddenly things go to hell in a hand basket.

It's much easier and effective to limit that sort of behavior from the get go.

People should know better not to **** around in DC of all places. Law enforcement there doesn't like it one bit. And for good reason.

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I found the police reaction to be overly authoritarian and heavy-handed.

But that's the police for you.

That's why I suggested in the other thread that resisting arrest was a bad idea.

'Cause they will mess you up.

8. Surely thread starter Guest

Surely

Sure that's bad taste/disrespectful, but is that against the law? I don't think dancing at the Jefferson Memorial is disrespectful. If anything, it celebrates Jefferson's views on freedom of speech and expression.

Once they were told to not dance, they should have listened. By dancing, they clearly antagonized the security/police. However, the officer should have provided a proper explanation as to why they weren't allowed to proceed when they asked for it. He did not, and only really said: "you'll find out", meaning that they would find out after they were arrested. He could have told them to hang on a second while he called headquarters to ask for the specific law they were about to break. "Don't do it because I said so," or something along those lines isn't good enough IMO.

I agree.

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

When it's the police, it's good enough at that moment.

They have the mace, the batons, the tasers, the guns and the training, and they'll use them.

Your best recourse is to seek legal council ... after the arrest.

10. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

11. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Attention whoring?

12. localoid, May 30, 2011
    Last edited: May 30, 2011

localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

A bit of background...

In Oberwetter v. Hillard (May 17, 2011), the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit held that “silent expressive dancing” is impermissible inside the Jefferson Memorial.

Quoting from that decision:

Unfortunately, the court didn't specifically address whether or not bears will be permitted to continue dancing within National Parks and parklands...

[​IMG]

But, reading words of the court, perhaps humans could be legally prohibited from doing so...

13. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I'm not sure what kind of threat silent dancing poses to the Constitution, but if that's the ruling, then the park cops were within their rights, I guess, to tell those people to stop. I just wish they'd explained why.

That said, the dancers were clearly looking to cause a disturbance. I can't be 100% sympathetic to them either.

This is one of those issues where neither side is clearly "right".

14. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Isn't it strange how the 'conservatives' on this forum - who usually support the public ownership of guns as a constitutional check on the power of the state - are the first to give the state excuses when people are arrested and thrown in jail for just dancing? :rolleyes:

I suppose if the dancers had formed an armed militia and shot at the police instead then that would be OK?

15. KnightWRX, May 30, 2011
    Last edited: May 30, 2011

KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Quite the contrary, it was a very big tribute to Jefferson to get arrested at his memorial for essentially doing something prohibited for no good reason. After all, Jefferson is the man who said :

Anyone that is saying these people were doing something inane and deserved what they got have just pissed all over Jefferson and disrespected one of the US's founding fathers in a big way. Shame on you if you're from the US and posted something along those lines.

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

17. wpotere Guest

The whole point of this was to invoke a response and they got it. That makes the video pointless in my opinion. :rolleyes:

18. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Which part of that Jefferson quote didn't you understand, wpotere?

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

So in America, you can have people like the nutjobs protesting funerals, but you can't dance in a public place.

Yea...

You don't see anything wrong with that? In what world is dancing a provocation for anything (besides after club sex I guess).

This is the land of the free?

The ruling states that the memorial is a place of somber reflectance and dancing or things of that nature cause their own focus so shouldn't be allowed.

How that gels with Wesbourough being able to clearly cause a scene at a scene truly meant for remembrance like a soldier's funeral is beyond me. A clear disconnect between these two rulings is all I see.

20. 184550 Guest

Did you miss Post 13?

Or

Did I miss the fact that 'Adam' obtained a permit?

21. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Ridiculous, is this America or a Police State? Sad to see this film. This is what we are becoming a police state for the police state by the police state and you can only do what we say you can. The Constitution and Bill of rights are dead it appears at least in Washington DC. Sickening indeed. This isnt what Jefferson,Washington or Franklin ever intended. The Terrorist have won and the police state loves it.

22. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I went threw it and watch the video. They were just trying to cause problems. Sorry they got what they deserved and from what I saw the police kept their cool pretty well from the asses trying to make a scene. I watch them arrest arrest and just being held for a day is minor compared to what they can be charged with and they nicely are providing there own evidence to be charged with arresting arrested and causing public disorder.

It looks like they got what they deserved. They were ask to stop and not make a scene. They choose to go against it and got arrested for it.

Image if you could not go to visit DC anywhere with out someone or some group making a huge scene at any of the monuments. Get your permit and it will be fine and you can go hog wild.

23. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Not so, I saw a couple that barely slowed dance and they were arrested without committing any crime. ACLU should be all over this. No law was broken this was a simple the police state is in control and you cant do anything that we dont like. Looks like the Terrorist did win. No idea at all what Jefferson stood for or what he wrote. A . All those wannabee cops should be fired and their boss asked what law was broken what crime was committed?