Don't expect to be blown away by the quality of the retina display on the iPod 4.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by whocaresit, Sep 4, 2010.

1. whocaresit macrumors 6502a

The iPod touch LCD doesnt use the IPS technology the iPhone 4 has. Meaning, backlight bleeding and effects will remain like the iPod 2 & 3.
    And it also looks like the contrast ratio won't be the same as with iPhone 4. (800:1)

It will be inferior compared to the iPhone 4 display

Concrete evidence:

2. MaCamZa macrumors 6502

MaCamZa

Have you got any evidence? They may leave it out in the tech specs and all, but they have done that about the camera too and its megapixels... Apple has hit a brick wall and are going mad!

I thought a retina display is a retina display! If Apple changed anything to it, i will be disappointed greatly! One fault after another as soon as it was released!

3. fel10 macrumors 68000

fel10

Either way, it is going to be better than the display the iPod Touch has now!

4. SoraLimit macrumors regular

Honestly, the IPS part, while it may be cool, doesn't interest me. I mean, when are you gonna view the iPod in an extreme angle?

The clarity of the screen, with the 326 PPI interest me more.

5. MaCamZa macrumors 6502

MaCamZa

The viewing angle doesn't interest me either! I'd rather be private than let everyone see what im doing if i was at a cafe and people walk past!

The only thing that im wanting is the 4x contrast thing that the iPhone has. Can anyone confirm that?

6. fel10 macrumors 68000

fel10

I was also wondering about that!!!

7. MaCamZa macrumors 6502

MaCamZa

Apple really need to put out their information more carefully! Another call from me to Apple tomorrow!

8. MaCamZa macrumors 6502

MaCamZa

After watching Engadget's Hand's On video, i still feel the iPhone's display looks much better! I think Apple didn't add the 4x Contrast as they did on the iPhone 4... Although i really wanted it! Check it out for youself;

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/01/ipod-touch-2010-first-hands-on/

^^ Video near bottom of the post, not page.

EDIT: I paused a part of the video in which you see both of the home screens. The photo is below and you can clearly see for yourself how much better the iPhone looks! (iPod Touch 4; left)

http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=250177&stc=1&d=1283643679

You can really see the difference on the Safari icon in the dock and the Camera icon in the top right.

9. fel10 macrumors 68000

fel10

Ok, I went to Wikipedia, (I know, not the most reliable place), an it says that the new iPod Touch has the same contrast ratio as the iPhone 4! 800:1

10. MaCamZa macrumors 6502

MaCamZa

I just hope so! But check out my EDIT on my previous quote. Its got a comparison.

11. joe1946 macrumors regular

12. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

I wasn't aware Apple was trying to impress iPhone 4 owners with the iPod Touch. I highly doubt your average iPod Touch customer will give a rats @$$.

13. jason221 macrumors 6502

14. Aero26 macrumors regular

I'd call that one shopped and I've seen a fair amount of shops in my day. :/

15. randomerratum macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure it has to say "screen image simulated" or something to that effect if it's not an actual photo in an advertisement.

At least I'm sure that Apple wouldn't blatantly mislead the public with some doctored images if it'd just be easier to avoid showing it at an extreme angle.

16. joe1946 macrumors regular

Show me a link to a review that says the Retina display on the iPod Touch G4 does not look the same as the iPhone 4 at normal viewing angles or do you people just like to be BS artists.

17. samven582 macrumors 6502a

Check out Engadget's hand on video. You can clearly see from the video that the viewing angles on the iPod touch and iPhone are different.

18. gta50419 macrumors 6502

they could have saved money on putting that retina crap in and gave us a decent cam instead smh

19. ryan0402 macrumors 6502

did the old one have ips or isp or whatever cause i never minded my 2g as bad :(

20. gta50419 macrumors 6502

yep they would, they posted this as the ipod touch...but look at the bottom of the right ipod....it has a "phone" button....all those pics are probably fake/photoshopped pic of iphone 4 screens to make the display on ipod look better than it actually is

[​IMG]

http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/features/more-features.html

21. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Haha, yea. Don't think so. Remember all those pictures of the iPhone/iPad with Flash on the screen? Apple ended up having those images pulled.

Look at all those pictures they have. They all have a line showing "glare" that goes down the screen at a perfect angle... and in all the pictures with multiple "glare" lines the lines are all exactly parallel. That's because it's all rendered. http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/specs.html
    http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/features/

Also, I see someone pointed out the bad phone button misplacement. Also they have an Emergency Call button on their iPods too... [​IMG]

So yea... It's all rendered...

Hehehe. Just noticed another funny... Either the photos are all rendered or they took all the pictures in 1 minute or waited until the next day to take them. Every picture is at 9:41 AM :D I don't just mean every one I posted... but all of them they use.

22. joe1946 macrumors regular

Do you understand what normal viewing angle means ? This is my normal viewing angle and both Retina displays will look the same .
    [​IMG]

23. 7even macrumors 6502a

I say who gives a ... as long as they can avoid a) yellow screens and b) inverting blacks that some of the early iPod Touches had.

24. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Who cares. It's perfectly understood about this IPS thing at this point. If not, Google search IPS and learn more about what it is. Viewing the iPod touch directly should yield a pretty similar experience as on the iPhone 4. I'm happy to have 4 times the pixel count. To hell with the viewing angle. If it was done to see the prices of this new feature-packed ipod stay right where they were with the last gen, I'll deal with it.