Don't F with Josh Groban - esp if you're Hannity or a Trump supporter

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Jul 2, 2017.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

You might want to step away from twitter before you hurt yourself :p

2. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Love it - sticking it to Hannity and Trump supporters. Getting what they deserve. Making the right's head spin. Isn't that what you would post if it was in reverse? ;)

Also - I wasn't on twitter - I was on Facebook where someone posted a news link.

3. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

the more hate you throw, the more we laugh ;)

Sam, twitter is not good for your health. New study just revealed on cnn. ;)

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Lmao. Read what you posted. Supporters are taliikimg about boycotting him so .......

5. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

LOL - you are misguided. There's no hate here. I posted about something amusing Josh Groban tweeted out.

Also - I haven't been on twitter since this morning. But thanks for your faux concern.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 2, 2017 ---
    Yeah - worthless boycott.

6. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

Well, it was on cnn so you may have a point there. :D

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

This sounds a lot like hate to me.

Hah-hah!

8. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Indeed. And thanks for the deflection. Loved it. I'm guessing you didn't find Josh Groban's replies as amusing as I did.

9. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

I had no idea who Josh Groban was. Had to google him.

10. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

I love replies like this. Sometime they are true. Other times it's clear someone is trying to be "funny."

11. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Except that he's never funny.

12. Gutwrench Suspended

Gutwrench

Dear god he eviscerated Hannity. Lol. :rolleyes:

Actually Hannity only considers himself a talk show host.
    He doesn't think of himself as a news person or journalist.

Swing and a miss Josh.

13. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I thought that was video games. Oh no, that one was in the National Review. Ooohh. Factual!!!

14. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Um Josh referred to him as an entertainer. Like himself. How is that a miss?

15. citizenzen macrumors 65816

The really odd thing is that the more hate trump throws, the more you applaud.

16. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

His response is something I expect from a preteen. Which works explain a lot on multiple levels.

17. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Wise trump is playing everyone like a fiddle. Free press to him and it does not matter how negative it gets. He was on howard stern for chist sakes

18. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I use Duck Duck Go because occasionally get possibly spurious results off Google...

FoxNewsSpoofInGoogle.jpg

19. Gutwrench, Jul 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2017

Gutwrench Suspended

Gutwrench

First he referenced Chris Wallace, Bret Baier, Shep Smith. "News folks."

Hannity doesn't see himself as news folk. He sees himself as a talk show host which I think probably is entertainment. I doubt Hannity feels eviscerated. Bubble...popped. :(

--- Post Merged, Jul 2, 2017 ---
    He's using a laser pointer making the hysterical left bump into walls and the couch.

20. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Hysterical left again? Maybe you should be less hysterical in your posting and stop and read the actual tweet. As I said, he called Hannity an entertainer.

@seanhannity @cnn @NBCNews@washingtonpost @nytimes And sometimes@FoxNews. Chris Wallace, Bret Baier, Shep Smith. News folks. Not entertainers like you and me.

9:44 PM - 27 Jun 2017

21. Gutwrench Suspended

Gutwrench

Are you ok? I quoted part of the tweet. As I said,

22. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

True story: the only time I was ever "grounded" was because I called Josh Grobans music "so gay" (hey, it was the every early 2000's- a very different time. I was probably in early middle school af the time, but mother did not take kindly to such words about her idol.

23. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Hell I'm so old I remember writing a note to my grandma about my prom night in high school and including the fact that we had had a really "gay time." To her in that era, it would have meant we had fun and there would not have been any sexual connotation inferred.

It's true that I did have a lot of fun that night, and despite the fact that to me right now I don't see why it would have been a problem if I'd actually had a gay time as we now construe the word "gay", that was not exactly what was going on down at the beach after we finished dancing the night away and got down to making campfires and getting blankets out of our cars. No way was I going to elaborate on that to my grandma.

I never heard of Josh Groban before tonight, I think. Anyway it sounds like your mom might not have approved of my having said I'd had, much less actually had, "a gay time" at my prom. :rolleyes:

Times can definitely change the tone, weight, even the essence of some words or phrases. Here with the word "gay" over the course of about sixty years, we have three out of the equivalent of "thirteen ways of looking at a blackbird", as Wallace Stevens once suggested were possible with that critter.

We're a lot more casual if not careless about language today than someone like Stevens ever was in constructing his poems though. We soak up and discard trendy words at a pretty good clip every year, and they all manage to make it into mainstream media, too, which used not to be the case even as late as the 70s, 80s.

I'd say around the time Tina Brown started editing at the New Yorker, that began to change. With topical covers on that magazine also came a different approach to writing that at one time seemed to me practically to define the boundary between pop culture and ... whatever that game was the old New Yorker was playing at so well for so long: weekly entertainment for, or edification of, the hoi polloi. I mean the long reads, thirty pages about... how wheat gets shipped from the midwest to wherever it's going? Yet they were fascinating pieces of writing. You got done with one of those long reads, you had learned a lot about something pretty arcane, and liked it.

And then there were the poems of the old New Yorker. If you have not read James Dickey's Falling, you have not properly appreciated womanhood nor the searing ordinariness of middle America. A double page poem based on a tiny news clip about an airline stewardess who fell to her death from a plane in flight over Kansas. I think about that poem with its respect for the wonders of a woman’s body and the withheld mysteries of America and then I think about Donald Trump tweeting his brain farts about women and his platitudes about his plans for America and the contrast is unbearable. I don't want to go back to the sixties but I want to bring some of its values, which do still exist today, out of the shade Donald Trump casts on them. It's okay to respect a woman's body while celebrating her sexuaity, for instance. Okay to look someone in the eye and not lie to him. The truth is acceptable even when it’s like a knife in your heart.

Tina Brown's impact on The New Yorker was profound but gave one the sense of fetching up in the shallows at the same time. Sort of like Donald Trump on Twitter. And nothing at all like David Remnick, the current editor of The New Yorker. With Remnick I still think I'm opening a serious magazine even if I'm in stitches laughing over a cover. With Tina Brown, I rolled eyes and wondered what the hell? about half the time but I was still intrigued and challenged by her innovations. With Donald Trump tweeting, I don't laugh and I do feel like he's abusing his chosen medium rather than innovating with it. I'm getting that sense of fetching up in the shallows too, off Donald Trump, but without the benefit of Tina Brown's sharp eye for topical themes and amusing juxtapositions, and definitely without the considered nature of a David Remnick offering. With Remnick you should know how to swim because he will show you the deep end of the pool without warning sometimes.

Trump's themes are angry or dismal or curiously flat celebrations of pretty ordinary stuff, or just plain trivial. The Season of our Trivial Discontents... that may be the Trump era in 140-character bursts, whether it's about his bashing on someone else, or us bashing on him for grinding away at the little and big things that make America what is has become, a place of singularity and diversity and fragility and strengths and weaknesses. He wants to keep it simpler that it is. We want it to work out better than it is. We need a guy who can think in more than 140-character bursts while we hash it out together.

24. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

What's a Josh Groban? That's not a joke either.