Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eric Lewis

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 4, 2007
CANADA? eh?
Try this....get one of these older apple keyboards and mouse

0307121-1b.jpg

1133707264609_graphite_kb_w_mouse.jpg

Now your iMac has a beautiful matching keyboard and mouse

I did the same thing!

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I have that set. Though my mouse is quite scratched up. I also have the hockey puck mouse. I think the new KB is great. Would prefer a wireless but I didn't want to wait that long nor did I like the lack of a keypad. I may still buy one with Leo.

CnoteMD

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2007
NJ
I don't really care for the look of the older mac keyboard and mouse. But for those concerned about the "silver keyboard and white mouse", consider getting the Logitech V270 Bluetooth mouse.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_pointers/mice/devices/174&cl=us,en

I have the previous iMac with the white keyboard, but replaced the "mighty mouse" with my silver bluetooth mouse. The new keyboard would probably look great alongside the silver mouse.

docprego

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
I don't really care for the look of the older mac keyboard and mouse. But for those concerned about the "silver keyboard and white mouse", consider getting the Logitech V270 Bluetooth mouse.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_pointers/mice/devices/174&cl=us,en

I have the previous iMac with the white keyboard, but replaced the "mighty mouse" with my silver bluetooth mouse. The new keyboard would probably look great alongside the silver mouse.

I held that mouse next to the keyboard in the Apple store (they sell it) and it is a different color than the keyboard and Imac enclosure. They are sort of a pewter, this mouse is silver. Sure that may be minor but my wife and I thought it was not a good match. Then again it matched a whole lot better than the white mouse.....

docprego

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
A matter of opinion, I LOVE the new keyboard. Best one I ever used.

Unfortunately the same can't be said for the Mighty Mouse. I just can't get used to it. I need separate left and right buttons that don't care if I am pressing one or the other simultaneously. I have a very hard time right clicking with the Mighty Mouse. I am going to replace it with a Bluetooth mouse but it is proving to be difficult to find a good one. Please don't suggest the wireless Mighty mouse. Any other suggestions?

:)

sarah3585

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2007
I think it's about time apple updated the mighty mouse. I bought one as soon as they came out the scroll ball lasted 2 months before it no longer did it's job. They need to make it better and bring out a black/alum version to match the imac.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
It may be ugly, but I'm sure it is better to use than the newer one (with laptop keys)

Actually, the new keyboard is quite nice to use. I too had my doubts about it, however, once I got it, I realized that is really very nice.

Unfortunately the same can't be said for the Mighty Mouse. I just can't get used to it. I need separate left and right buttons that don't care if I am pressing one or the other simultaneously. I have a very hard time right clicking with the Mighty Mouse. I am going to replace it with a Bluetooth mouse but it is proving to be difficult to find a good one. Please don't suggest the wireless Mighty mouse. Any other suggestions?

:)

I have to agree with this post. I too have found the mighty mouse difficult to get used to. However, for me, this might be because I am new to Macs. I just got the 2.4 20 inch iMac on Friday and it is my very first Mac. So, I'll probably continue with the mighty mouse for a little while longer before I decide if I need a replacement mouse.

docprego

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
I have to agree with this post. I too have found the mighty mouse difficult to get used to. However, for me, this might be because I am new to Macs. I just got the 2.4 20 inch iMac on Friday and it is my very first Mac. So, I'll probably continue with the mighty mouse for a little while longer before I decide if I need a replacement mouse.

It's also my first Mac but that is not the issue. The problem is Apple tried to design something so clean looking that they compromised the functionality. I mean what is the real purpose of having one smooth surface on the top of the mouse other than aesthetics? Clearly 2 separate buttons would function much more efficiently (like EVERY other mouse on the planet).

Does anyone own the silver Logitech V270 and a new aluminum iMac? If so could you post a picture of how the mouse looks next to the new keyboard? This is the mouse I am considering to replace the Mighty Mouse with.

DeuceDeuce

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2007
San Dimas, CA
It's also my first Mac but that is not the issue. The problem is Apple tried to design something so clean looking that they compromised the functionality. I mean what is the real purpose of having one smooth surface on the top of the mouse other than aesthetics? Clearly 2 separate buttons would function much more efficiently (like EVERY other mouse on the planet).

Does anyone own the silver Logitech V270 and a new aluminum iMac? If so could you post a picture of how the mouse looks next to the new keyboard? This is the mouse I am considering to replace the Mighty Mouse with.

Although I disagree with you about the Mighty Mouse (I love it and use it with my iMac) here is a pic with the logitech and my new iMac. I have the logitech mouse for my MBP. Hope this helps...

IMG_3103.jpg

IMG_3101.jpg

Jayrod

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2006
Arizona
I think that the new keyboard is fantastic. I also have a MacBook, and so I am used to the keys already. I think anyone who gave the new keyboard an hour or so of playing around on would love it too. The buttons are SO much more responsive than the older keyboards because the keys are so low profile. Also, since the buttons are a little more spaced out compared to other keyboards, I am able to type faster and more accurately. For those who say that the mighty mouse doesn't match - the white buttons against the aluminum keyboard contrast beautifully with the white mighty mouse. Apple hit a home run with the one!

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
I think that the new keyboard is fantastic. I also have a MacBook, and so I am used to the keys already. I think anyone who gave the new keyboard an hour or so of playing around on would love it too. The buttons are SO much more responsive than the older keyboards because the keys are so low profile. Also, since the buttons are a little more spaced out compared to other keyboards, I am able to type faster and more accurately. For those who say that the mighty mouse doesn't match - the white buttons against the aluminum keyboard contrast beautifully with the white mighty mouse. Apple hit a home run with the one!

I tend to agree. I hadn't even used a Mac Book before, but the keyboard may be my favorite part of the new iMac. It is very easy to type on. I type 100+ WPM, and I am typing just as fast, if not faster, with the new keyboard, and I tend to make fewer errors. Very comfortable to use.

docprego

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
Although I disagree with you about the Mighty Mouse (I love it and use it with my iMac) here is a pic with the logitech and my new iMac. I have the logitech mouse for my MBP. Hope this helps...]

Thank you very much for taking the time to do that. is that the V270 exactly? If it is, the color match seems to be very good because the mouse looks very nice sitting with the keyboard.

As much as I am trying to get used to the Mighty Mouse, I find that I am making inadvertent clicks literally all the time. I just think the whole concept of having to lift your left finger off the mouse totally in order to register a right mouse click is absurd.

superspiffy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2007
I just think the whole concept of having to lift your left finger off the mouse totally in order to register a right mouse click is absurd.

Why would you lift your left finger at all? I rest both my index and middle finger on the mouse and click left or right accordingly.

docprego

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
Why would you lift your left finger at all? I rest both my index and middle finger on the mouse and click left or right accordingly.

Because if your left finger is in touch with the Mighty Mouse surface and you right click the mouse will not register a right click. Left click works no matter which fingers are touching the mouse surface. The flaw is in right clicking only.

The other complaint I have about the Mighty Mouse are side squeeze buttons. They are in a very bad location, requiring a complete repositioning of your hand to access them. Admittedly some people will not have to change their hand position to access them but I do.

darkanddivine

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2007
I quite like the mighty mouse. I prefer the idea of clicking with one hand, and using the apple key with my other hand.

I used the new keyboard in a store, and I might actually get one soon. I thought they were very good, nice and responsive, and wouldnt look totally out of place with a white iMac.

nlivo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2007
Ballarat, Australia

just in case you dont know cause you're new to macs...you can customize the mighty mouse so it does have a right click....

xodonniedarko

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2007
North Carolina
Maybe I'm too late to say, but the black keyboards suck. I've had two and the keys were so heavy it was a huge effort to even type. So I finally had to go ahead and order a white keyboard, which looks awkward because i have a black dell monitor and like an ancient grey mouse... and off-white speakers. Haha oh well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.