Don't want to Get Raped By A Cop: 'Don't Get Pulled Over'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Technarchy, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

As a society, we are way too casual about the crimes of rape and sexual assault.

It's such a heinous act that can ruin lives and families.

So when cop uses his "power" to intimidate and harm sexually, that's a crime worthy of life in prison as far as I am concerned.

Though, apparently I have it all wrong. Don't want to get raped by a cop, don't break the law. Seems legit...in Oklahoma...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/23/oklahoma-police-rape_n_5870752.html

I wonder, if a female officer was raped on the job after pulling someone over, I wonder what his response would be?

"If you are a female cop expect to get raped. It's an occupational hazard"

2. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

there are many reasons not to trust cops in many states .

http://beforeitsnews.com/alternativ...probes-using-same-glove-in-texas-2729142.html

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles...olonoscopy-by-cops-wins-16-million-settlement

WHY ARE THOSE COPS STILL EMPLOYED and not in jail?

3. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

4. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

How many officer in Oklahoma didn't rape anyone? No matter what the profession, there are always a few bad apples.

5. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

You two planned this? ;)

I think the OP took this out of context. The comment about not getting pulled over was a stupid comment and a dumb attempt at saying that not breaking the law is always the best choice. Except this attempt is a FAIL.

Some of these guys need a filter installed.

6. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I knew you wouldn't disappoint me! :D

7. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Is that even an answer?

"There are always a few bad apples" might explain a pizza delivery driver caught speeding.

It doesn't excuse cops committing sexual assault.

We'd like to think that police officers are subject to somewhat higher standards of background checks and training. We'd sort of like to think that police officers, as a rule, held themselves to a slightly higher standard of individual conduct. We'd like to think that a police officer had sworn an oath to protect the weaker and vulnerable amongst us - and not use them for their own sexual gratification.

Yes, in any group there will be some who don't quite measure up to the standard. But having cops commit sexual assault on female motorists is indicative, to me, of a widespread problem within the larger community of police officers. That a fundamental failure of leadership has permitted a culture of entitlement and immunity from consequences among their officers. And that it was this culture that allowed the criminal acts to occur.

Thats the problem that happens every time a cop walks away from killing an unarmed black teenager. Thats the problem with cops looking the other way for other cops speeding tickets and DUI stops. Thats what happens when cops brush a fellow officers domestic violence under the rug. After it happens enough times, the "bad apples" (as you so delightfully put it) begin to figure out that they can get away with pretty much anything.

Stop making excuses for the cops.

8. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

So what do you want to do? Fire all cops? Arrest every one of them? Why bother with pesky trials, we can just lock them all up. Oh wait, who'd run the jail? Who'd patrol the streets? 99% of the police in Oklahoma City are not accused of raping anyone, yet you want to call this a widespread problem. It's three cops out of hundreds.

I'm really surprised at how some people want to prejudge others but scream bloody murder if they are prejudged. I am not making excuses for the three. Suspend them. Investigate, charge and try them. That is how we do it in the USA. But don't damn the whole force because of the actions of three.

9. vrDrew macrumors 65816

No.

I'd just like, for once, for cops to be held to the same standard as everyone else.

Take a look at this video (dash cam showing a cop shooting an unarmed black motorist on an alleged seatbelt violation).

Why did this police officer think it was appropriate to open fire in this situation? Think very hard before answering that.

The reality is, even though this cop has been fired - and charged with an assault; he'll walk on the criminal charges. Because even if a Grand Jury indicts him (doubtful) - he'll go in front of a Jury made up of White Southerners who'll manage to acquit him at trial. I'll bet money on that.

Thats what I want to stop. But its not going to happen as long as enough smug, white middle class people, the same folks who are always making excuses, or changing the subject, or blaming the victims think that its someone else's problems. That its always going to happen to someone else. That black kid in a hoodie is always the bad guy, and the white cop with a gun in his hand is always on their side.

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Wow. No issues there.

Nobody asked to "fire all cops".*

You're making some highly irrational leaps.

*Ban all guns ... fire all cops ... is this symptomatic of a reactionary mind? I'm sensing a pattern here.

11. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Yet, across this nation every single day, 99% of the law enforcement officers don't rape anyone, don't rob anyone, don't cover up any crimes... Yet, you paint them all as evil. This thread is about three officers. Three out of how many LEO in Oklahoma City? And you want to throw all of them in there.

You know there was a time that Americans believed that all Jewish were misers who would swindle you. That all blacks would rob you. That all native Americans were drunks. All priest would rape boys. And so forth. Guess what? A small percentage of of these were true and it wasn't fair to be prejudiced against a whole group of people based upon a few.

I'm not going to dissuade you from your prejudices. So it's time for me to bow out of this conversation. Just remember, not everyone wearing a badge wants to do you harm. Many of them are willing to lay their life down for yours.

12. chown33 macrumors 604

That's a fair question.

You've mischaracterized his point. And created a straw man. No one actually said that, except you.

You've either mischaracterized his point, or you've completely missed it.

Here's what he wrote:
    1. Yes, in any group there will be some who don't quite measure up to the standard.

2. But having cops commit sexual assault on female motorists is indicative, to me, of a widespread problem within the larger community of police officers.

3. That a fundamental failure of leadership has permitted a culture of entitlement and immunity from consequences among their officers.

4. And that it was this culture that allowed the criminal acts to occur.
    I've split it into one sentence per paragraph, and numbered each one. This is to make it easier to examine.

Sentence 1: He says that some won't meet the standards.

Sentence 2: He says that sexual assualt indicates a widespread problem. He DOES NOT say that sexual assault IS the widespread problem, but that it INDICATES (points to) a widespread problem.

Sentence 3: He identifies what he perceives to be the widespread problem: leadership failure, a culture of entitlement, and unaccountability (immunity from consequences) amongst other officers. THOSE are what he sees as "the widespread problem" INDICATED by the sexual assault.

Sentence 4: He reiterates that it's this culture of unaccountability that is the problem which allowed the sexual assaults to occur.

I am somewhat surprised that you can complain about how others mischaracterize your posts or fail to read them correctly, yet you do exactly the same thing, apparently without even realizing it. Your post started with a completely reasonable question, but it then veered off into mischaracterization, fanciful straw-men, and completely missed the central point of the post you replied to.

13. Technarchy thread starter macrumors 603

Technarchy

Cops are civilians entrusted to service the public.

They are civilians with a sworn position. That's it.

This whole rules for civilians and rules for cops needs to go.

If I had pulled over several women and raped them, I would be in jail till I die. That's the equivalent penalty that any cop should face.

And it should be candid, not grudgingly either.

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Kind of like how you paint Democrats, the unemployed, people on welfare, people in favor of stricter gun laws, those who question authority and pretty much any topic we discuss in this forum? Dude, no one has a bigger paint brush than you.