Dont you guys think this would be a good ad for the iPhone 3G??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by maiden16tiger, Jul 8, 2008.

?

Do you think Apple should use this as an Ad?

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    6.1%
  2. No

108 vote(s)
    93.9%
  1. maiden16tiger macrumors member

I created this ad a while back for the iPhone 3g, but i havent heard anything from Apple after i told them about it. I made this myself... so tell me if you think apple should use it as posters in their stores or banners..etc....

NO COPYRIGHT!....

this the "Example" the real one doesnt have the words "example or "no copyright"

Attached Files:

2. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

I would say it's too busy in comparison with Apple's tendencies of simplicity in their posters.

3. Babiipiink macrumors member

i would have to agree.. Apple is simple and would just be straightforward with the product; "what you see, is what you get" kind of thing, i think.

4. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

5. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

6. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

It does not look anything like an Apple ad at all.

7. Pooshka macrumors 65816

8. gibbz macrumors 68030

Since I guess we are throwing in 3 minute photoshop jobs, here's mine.

Attached Files:

9. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

^^
    I can see that being an ad.

The one up top is to busy as others have stated.

10. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

nope. the second one puts way too much emphasis on the back of the phone. apple is selling the phone, remember? not the plastic part that your hand holds on to.

both are way too busy.

11. gibbz macrumors 68030

I appreciate the replies, but i was just trying to show anyone can come up with some crappy photoshop job. I'll leave the advertising business to Apple. ;)

12. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    hmm i wonder who the 1 yes is among 29 no's...

13. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

oh don't worry, i knew. :)

14. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Apple does not accept any unsolicited work so they probably rejected it without even looking at it. Sorry.

Apple’s Unsolicited Idea Submission Policy

15. gibbz macrumors 68030

Great question. If we only knew.....

Is this too harsh? Only meant in fun.

Attached Files:

16. friekunater macrumors 6502

I like it actually -- it may be more passable on a white background though IMO

17. wilhoitm macrumors 6502

Cool! How did you make the iPhone on the left side, is that a picture or a photo?

Marcus

18. MacFly123 macrumors 68020

I think this thread is filled with mean spiritedness. There are a lot of people on this site that are learning and acquiring skills and they put a lot of work into things and people are just shooting them down blind.

Give people some credit. How do you expect them to improve? Constructive criticism is ok but i'm not sensing that here.

I think your Photoshop job has some cool qualities, but yes it is a bit derailed from Apples simple style. Good job though, keep it up. :)

19. Akaal macrumors member

Akaal

I completely agree, the first few posts i made about a website, i was shot down like a helpless dog. Very rude and very egotistical people on this forum,
    who need to grow up and look in the mirror once and while and criticize themselves first.

20. Akaal macrumors member

Akaal

Ive been into graphics and photoshop for well over 5 years, and this isnt actually a bad piece of work. I like the concept of the faded screens in the back. Like many have said, apple keep their backgrounds white and simple. maybe just change the black to white?

Keep experimenting with layers, im sure improvements can be seen as you go along!

PM me if your interested in submitting some iPhone graphics/wallpapers on a website.

Thanks,
    :)

21. Petoz macrumors 6502

Petoz

Did you actually send it to Apple? And propose they use it? I am impressed you can photoshop, and all that, because I would not have a clue how to do it (my little brother does it and it confuses the blep out of me). However, I think Apple know exactly the kind of advertising they want, and have some top notch professionals on the job, and as has been said before, it looks far too complicated for what I imagine as an Apple advert. So I don't really see it working for them

22. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Ok, constructive criticism it shall be.

It's not the worst PS job in the world if you're just starting out, but it's not an ad. An ad has a catchy tagline, brief or descriptive, maybe some written copy, probably a corporate logo, and a theme or idea it wants to get across, not just some photos wrangled together...(unless you're selling clothes or liquor, then all bets are off). Your pic says "iPhone 3G". What about 3G? Is it better? Faster? Cooler? Cheaper? What?

Why is it sitting in a blue whirlpool? The whirlpool is nice and all, but what does it have to do with 3G? Is it part of the corporate identity? It makes the phone look like it's meant for water, or worse, sinking in water. Generally speaking, it's best not to show non-waterproof electronics in a watery environment in an ad. Some will find it too shocking.

The screenshots behind the phones mean nothing to someone who doesn't know what an iPhone is or does. If it were a real ad, the imagery should try to have some sort of relevance to as many who see it as possible.

In the future, if you want a better reaction from the Internet People...

1. Don't tell people what they should think ("Dont you guys think this would be a good ad"). Ask hey, what do you think. Better yet, just say, here's an ad I made. Period. Fear not, people will tell you what they think.

2. Don't tell everyone you sent it to Apple and haven't heard back. That only shows that you assume it's awesome. When you tell the world something you did is awesome, you will invariably find out it's not nearly as awesome as you thought. No one likes a bragger. And even if it was the most brilliant ad on the planet, you wouldn't hear back from Apple. Apple's advertising is handled largely by Chiat-Day. Send the ad to them and you probably won't hear back from them either, but you can try.

3. Don't plaster your image with "EXAMPLE" or "no copyright". This again assumes that it's so awesome we'll all want to steal it and somehow get rich off of it. It's another way of bragging, which as mentioned, no one likes. As the poll indicates, no one will be stealing your image or getting rich from it.

If you're serious about advertising, take some classes, or find an internship at an agency. Then make some new ads, but don't post them at a tech gossip site. Print them out and show them to your mom, your aunt, your grandpa, etc. If they like the ad and understand it, chances are others will too.

23. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

It's the context in witch he submitted it. He asked if this would be a good ad for Apple to use and said he had submitted it, implying that he thought his ad should be used by Apple. To do something on an amateur level and expect it to be suitable for an advertising campaign for a multi billion dollar company pretty much guarantees you will be shot down. Now if he had posted it and said hey I'm new to photoshop and thought I would use an iPhone ad as a practice exercise what do you think he would have gotten a very different response. I think it's ok and has some good qualities but it's just not on the level of something I would expect to see from Apple's ad campaigns.

24. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

Also you should know putting the words "NO COPYRIGHT" on your work indicates that you do not wish to have your work copyright protected and that it is free to take and use.