Dont you think peeking in safari links kinda useless?

aleni

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 2, 2006
Everytime i peek, the preview shows mostly headlines and graphic and i couldnt peek into the news content and i had to pop it anyway to get the idea about the article.

Would be great if apple tweaks it a little bit so when i peek, it shows the middle of the page or at least 30% off the top page. Are you with me?

aleni

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 2, 2006
Got a better idea. How about peek it, swipe a bit to the top. Lift finger, the peek window stays on so we can scroll to check the page, dont like the page? Just tap outside area of the peeking window. Would be awesome.

Reactions: MyCow
Comment

HelloMikee

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
San Diego
Everytime i peek, the preview shows mostly headlines and graphic and i couldnt peek into the news content and i had to pop it anyway to get the idea about the article.

Would be great if apple tweaks it a little bit so when i peek, it shows the middle of the page or at least 30% off the top page. Are you with me?
Agree but I think its super useful to use for photo previews.

Comment

aleni

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 2, 2006
Yes. Super useful for other stuff like previewing email and pictures. And the use in instagram where you can peek someone's album is really great.

Comment

redheeler

macrumors 604
Oct 17, 2014
Agreed, scrolling capability in the preview would be nice. Just look how much space is taken up by the header here, even in portrait mode:
Preview.png
This is one of the disadvantages I noticed immediately, as well as the tendency to pop to the top of the page instead of where the preview is scrolled to by way of an element identifier.

Reactions: AngerDanger
Comment

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
Nope, it's very useful. And really? Scrolling capability? Clearly you don't understand the point of a peek.

Comment

aleni

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 2, 2006
Nope, it's very useful. And really? Scrolling capability? Clearly you don't understand the point of a peek.
Yes it's very useful. But not for peeking the article. Ok lets say im in some news website. I see the link "nasa found liquid water evidence on mars", i peek into it, it shows me nasa logo image and the big text "NASA FOUND LIQUID WATER EVIDENCE" and i cant see the glimpse of the news paragraph.

Why would it be useful?

Reactions: dontworry
Comment

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I find it useless on my macbook as well. I use it for maps and pictures only. Also, on the mac you can actually click on a word to get a definition.

Comment

aleni

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 2, 2006
It's not useless on the mac because it has big screen and can really preview a lot of area in a page.

Comment

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Overall I find peeking a bit awkward. Since the preview is small, my finger/thumb is almost always in the way. Instinctively, I move my finger and the preview disappears.

Comment

dugbug

macrumors 65816
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida
Yes it's very useful. But not for peeking the article. Ok lets say im in some news website. I see the link "nasa found liquid water evidence on mars", i peek into it, it shows me nasa logo image and the big text "NASA FOUND LIQUID WATER EVIDENCE" and i cant see the glimpse of the news paragraph.

Why would it be useful?
So we can cherry pick use cases now? :) Sure if peek didn't help then it didn't help. Don't use it with sites like that.

When dealing with other web content such as posts with a list of links, I just peek until I find something worth diving in. I use peek with safari more than anything else. Extremely EXTREMELY useful.

Comment

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
I find peek useful to avoid clicking into click baiting partial headlines... those stories whose headline doesn't represent its contents.

Comment

redheeler

macrumors 604
Oct 17, 2014
What good is peeking at New Posts on this forum to quickly scan for threads that interest me, for example, if I can only see the first two below the large header? In that situation, the peek actually wastes more time then it saves, as now I have to pop into the page to see any more and hit back to return.
It's not useless on the mac because it has big screen and can really preview a lot of area in a page.
On the Mac you can actually scroll, which is nice. I use Look Up to preview links on my rMBP quite a bit, and have set up BetterTouchTool so it will work with the Magic Mouse on my iMac as well.

Comment

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I agree - it needs scrolling capability - both because the headers often take up most of the preview and my finger obscures the rest. On the Macbooks, this function has full scroll capabilities.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.