Dont you think peeking in safari links kinda useless?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aleni, Sep 29, 2015.

1. aleni macrumors 68020

Everytime i peek, the preview shows mostly headlines and graphic and i couldnt peek into the news content and i had to pop it anyway to get the idea about the article.

Would be great if apple tweaks it a little bit so when i peek, it shows the middle of the page or at least 30% off the top page. Are you with me?

2. mobutt macrumors 6502

Completely agree. Especially in landscape it's a joke.

3. aleni thread starter macrumors 68020

Got a better idea. How about peek it, swipe a bit to the top. Lift finger, the peek window stays on so we can scroll to check the page, dont like the page? Just tap outside area of the peeking window. Would be awesome.

4. terraphantm macrumors 68040

I find it useful for viewing picture links. Otherwise I end up just popping it

5. HelloMikee macrumors 6502a

HelloMikee

Agree but I think its super useful to use for photo previews.

6. aleni thread starter macrumors 68020

Yes. Super useful for other stuff like previewing email and pictures. And the use in instagram where you can peek someone's album is really great.

7. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Agreed, scrolling capability in the preview would be nice. Just look how much space is taken up by the header here, even in portrait mode:
    Preview.png
    This is one of the disadvantages I noticed immediately, as well as the tendency to pop to the top of the page instead of where the preview is scrolled to by way of an element identifier.

8. TurboPGT! Suspended

Nope, it's very useful. And really? Scrolling capability? Clearly you don't understand the point of a peek.

9. aleni thread starter macrumors 68020

Yes it's very useful. But not for peeking the article. Ok lets say im in some news website. I see the link "nasa found liquid water evidence on mars", i peek into it, it shows me nasa logo image and the big text "NASA FOUND LIQUID WATER EVIDENCE" and i cant see the glimpse of the news paragraph.

Why would it be useful?

10. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I find it useless on my macbook as well. I use it for maps and pictures only. Also, on the mac you can actually click on a word to get a definition.

11. aleni thread starter macrumors 68020

It's not useless on the mac because it has big screen and can really preview a lot of area in a page.

12. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68040

Lobwedgephil

13. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Overall I find peeking a bit awkward. Since the preview is small, my finger/thumb is almost always in the way. Instinctively, I move my finger and the preview disappears.

14. dugbug macrumors 65816

dugbug

So we can cherry pick use cases now? :) Sure if peek didn't help then it didn't help. Don't use it with sites like that.

When dealing with other web content such as posts with a list of links, I just peek until I find something worth diving in. I use peek with safari more than anything else. Extremely EXTREMELY useful.

15. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

I find peek useful to avoid clicking into click baiting partial headlines... those stories whose headline doesn't represent its contents.

16. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

What good is peeking at New Posts on this forum to quickly scan for threads that interest me, for example, if I can only see the first two below the large header? In that situation, the peek actually wastes more time then it saves, as now I have to pop into the page to see any more and hit back to return.
    On the Mac you can actually scroll, which is nice. I use Look Up to preview links on my rMBP quite a bit, and have set up BetterTouchTool so it will work with the Magic Mouse on my iMac as well.

17. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I agree - it needs scrolling capability - both because the headers often take up most of the preview and my finger obscures the rest. On the Macbooks, this function has full scroll capabilities.