Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Septillion

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2013
China
I mean, it managed to be skinny while actually being thicker. The space between the letters is reduced.

Maybe on an Apple Watch it is essential to reduce the length of a line but I can never see the necessity of doing that on a Mac or an iOS device.

I don't like it.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
If I called it fat I would look bad and people would think I was a jerk.

Generally, I like the change since I have a watch too. It will make my devices similar which I like.

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
I mean, it managed to be skinny while actually being thicker. The space between the letters is reduced.

Maybe on an Apple Watch it is essential to reduce the length of a line but I can never see the necessity of doing that on a Mac or an iOS device.

I don't like it.

i also do not like it. to me it looks like a san serif version of a Fixed Width font, rather than a beautifully made computer TTF font. its really hideous.

Reactions: !!! and jpg

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011

I don't like it.

Me either. I Noticed the YouTube app uses it now and it just doesn't look as nice or seem as readable as Helvetica.

I've used it too (I'm jailbroken) systemwide and it just doesn't feel right. My preferred font is Zosimo but Helvetica just feels better for a stock font.

Last edited:

devinthomas

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2013
It reminds me of Chicago, from the good old days. I adore the font on OS X (RIP github freedom), and I'm excited for the change.

However, this is Apple and everything is tailor made. We've only seen it on the Apple Watch. San Francisco will likely be a font family across Apple devices with important similarities that demonstrate consistency but subtle tweaks that make them more suitable for the device displaying it. Just wait until Monday and then decide.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
it looks very dated to me

edit: i dont even notice it on the actual device

Last edited:

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
YouTube for iOS uses ‘Roboto’, a poorly executed sans serif. Trust that Apple will make the appropriate subtle changes to ‘San Francisco’ making it shine on iPhone like it does the Watch.

Roboto is not a great font, I find SF to be much, much better. But Roboto is still a country mile better than Helvetica Neue.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
I have San Francisco installed as my system font on both my Macs and I think its much more legible then Helvetica Neue. I can't wait until is comes to iOS and is standard on OS X. It works OK but there are some areas where the font messes up (like in Reminders and Calendar). Here's what it looks like in screen shots on my 1080p display for those who haven't seen it (last pic shows the issues in Calendar with the date showing 0/0/2016):

Screen Shot 2015-06-05 at 2.45.10 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-06-05 at 2.44.37 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-06-05 at 2.47.56 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-06-05 at 2.48.27 PM.png

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
To be honest, whatever font they will use in the next generation of mac OS X or iOS, if I can read anything with little or no difficulties, I will accept it over time. Otherwise, I may blame that font into ashes.

Reactions: KALLT and GreyOS

Will22

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
I like SF a million times more than the awful comic sans looking font that's an option on android. Whenever I see a screenshot with that font it makes me cringe:eek:

Fortunately you can change the font on android.

windywalks

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2004
I also changed my Yosemite system font to San Francisco on my 13" rMBP and it really does look skinny. So skinny apparently, that when the clock's at 11:11 I sometimes wonder what the heck were they thinking - it just looks like four parallel lines stacked together. I think it's a matter of optimisation, but the font sure looks weird every now and then.

Planey28

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Birmingham, UK
I also changed my Yosemite system font to San Francisco on my 13" rMBP and it really does look skinny. So skinny apparently, that when the clock's at 11:11 I sometimes wonder what the heck were they thinking - it just looks like four parallel lines stacked together. I think it's a matter of optimisation, but the font sure looks weird every now and then.

As you say, that's just optimisation issues because you're unofficially changing the OS X system font, and using an unoptimised version of the font. There won't be any spacing issues once Apple change it over, and it'll be much more legible than Helvetica Neue as it was specifically designed as a display font.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
I have San Francisco installed as my system font on both my Macs and I think its much more legible then Helvetica Neue. I can't wait until is comes to iOS and is standard on OS X. It works OK but there are some areas where the font messes up (like in Reminders and Calendar). Here's what it looks like in screen shots on my 1080p display for those who haven't seen it (last pic shows the issues in Calendar with the date showing 0/0/2016):

View attachment 558771 View attachment 558772 View attachment 558773 View attachment 558774
I actually think that looks really good! I've been very... So-so about all this, but that looks much better imo. I don't know what's different, the spacing maybe? In all the iOS screenshots I've seen, the letters are too far apart and a bit quirky looking. However I have faith in Apple to tweak this and make it look great, like how it is in your screenshot. Possibly even better.

frozentoast

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2007
For a great example of how ‘San Francisco’ will be rendered on the phone, those of us with Apple Watches can open the ‘Activity’ app to see a rounded version with proper spacing.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I have compared San Francisco font with Helvetica font in an Apple Store.
To tell the truth, I can hardly realise the difference between two of them. The only noticeable difference is the illustration of digits, which in SF digits are rounder, while in Helvetica, digits are a little bit taller.
In my view, both are OK, but I think SF should be better if I have a retina display Mac.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
More and more I’m falling in love with “SF”. Here’s a video from Apple outlining some of its features and design choices:

https://developer.apple.com/videos/wwdc/2015/?id=804

via Daring Fireball
As I was watching this I was reminded of all the knee jerk "I don't like this" reactions mostly based from the Watch font being hacked on to iOS/OS X. As if Apple was just going to take the Watch font and shove it on iOS and OS X without any adjustments. Really people?

Reactions: frozentoast

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Pure San Francisco looks too compact to me, but the version in El Capitan is a modified form. Credit to @redheeler

"San Francisco on the left, 10.11 font on the right."
font-comparison-png.559609

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
Pure San Francisco looks too compact to me, but the version in El Capitan is a modified form. Credit to @redheeler

"San Francisco on the left, 10.11 font on the right."
font-comparison-png.559609
The fonts are actually called SF Compact (Apple Watch, on the left) and SF (OS X El Capitan and iOS 9 system font, on the right.)

Reactions: Sym0
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.