Doom 3 On A Stock 12" PowerBook G4 w/ SuperDrive?

BurtonCCC

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 2, 2005
Wheaton/Normal, IL
Anyone suggest this? It's a completely stock computer... the stats on the computer are on the Apple Website now... I'd get them and post them here, but I'm at school on one of their Winblows machines... I just don't want to buy the game and then realize that it runs like crap because I don't have enough RAM or my video card is too slow... are there different performance levels like resolution I could set in the game's options to get the best possible gameplay from my little book? Anybody have this same configuration with this game? Satisfied? Far too many fragments in this thread? :confused:

Daniel

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
IMO = "In My opinion"

Doom3 will not run well on a 12" PowerBook, the minimum requirements say a G5 and that is a G4 so you don't meet the minimum. Sorry :(

Edit: Somehow I spelled "IMO" "IMP", oops.

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2004
yippy said:
IMP = "In My opinion"

Doom3 will not run well on a 12" PowerBook, the minimum requirements say a G5 and that is a G4 so you don't meet the minimum. Sorry :(

The minium requirements don't specify that you need a G5. Look around on the forum buddy; there are many people playing Doom 3 on their powerbooks.

Check Apple's online store for Doom 3 to see exactly what the system requirements are before you make your purchase.

brennan.rusnell

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2005
Performance on 12" PB

Hello,
I own a 12" Powerbook with 768MB RAM, 1.5GHz (see my signature below). I haven't run it on Tiger yet, but with all the settings turned down, I can run it at about 23-25 FPS, which isn't all that bad.
Unreal Tournament 2004 runs MUCH smoother, but if you're a die hard Doom fan, it will run, and I've seen worse performance from other titles.

Hope this helps.

toezter

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2004
Madison, WI
yippy said:
IMP = "In My opinion"

IMP is one of those things you see in DOOM 1 or 2, possibly 3 (i've never played)

IMHO - in my humble opinion
IMO - in my opinion

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
Quot from Apple's online store:

System Requirements:

* Operating System: Mac OS X 10.3.6 or later
* CPU Processor: PowerPC G5 or later
* CPU Speed: 1.5GHz or faster
* Memory: 384 MB or higher
* Hard Disk Space: 2.2GB free disk space
* Video Card (ATI): Radeon 8500 or better
* Video Card (NVidia): GeForce FX 5200 or better
* Video Memory (VRam): 64 MB or higher
* Media Required: DVD Drive
So either it requires a G5 or the store is wrong, that is where I got my info.

Jsmit

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2004
Boston
Seems like the apple store is wrong. From the horse's mouth, Aspyr;

Minimum System Requirements

Doom 3 runs on any iMac G5, or any Mac that meets the requirements below

Operating System: Mac OS X 10.3.8 or later
CPU Processor: PowerPC G4/G5 or later
CPU Speed: 1.5GHz or faster
Memory: 512 MB or higher
Hard Disk Space: 2.0GB free disk space
Video Card (ATI): Radeon 9600 or better
Video Card (NVidia): GeForce FX5200 or better
Video Memory (VRam): 64 MB
Media Required: DVD Drive
Recommended System Requirements

Doom 3 runs best on a Power Mac G5 2.0 GHz or faster

CPU Processor:powerPC G5
CPU Speed:2.0GHz or faster
Video RAM:128MB

crachoar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
Ohio
brennan.rusnell said:
Hello,
I own a 12" Powerbook with 768MB RAM, 1.5GHz (see my signature below). I haven't run it on Tiger yet, but with all the settings turned down, I can run it at about 23-25 FPS...
Liar, liar, liar, liar, liar, liar.

I have that exact computer (sig outdated, too lazy) - not to mention - I've played it in Tiger...

The game runs like ass, and the only time you'll ever get 25FPS is when you're looking at the ground, or pressed up against a wall. And yes, I have everything on low. Not to mention the fact that you will probably have a stuck mouse cursor on your screen at all times (which is really cool).

Do not buy this game. Ever. It's terrible. Download it and try it out if you have to - but for the love of god, don't pay for it.

If you still have some desire to play this game (I don't know why) - then get it for the Xbox (if you have one). Doesn't it make you feel good, knowing that a 700mhz P3 / 4mb GeForce 3 can run Doom 3 just fine - but your 1.5ghz G4 / 128mb 9700 can't?

brennan.rusnell

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2005
Not a Liar

crachoar said:
Liar, liar, liar, liar, liar, liar.

I have that exact computer (sig outdated, too lazy) - not to mention - I've played it in Tiger...

The game runs like ass, and the only time you'll ever get 25FPS is when you're looking at the ground, or pressed up against a wall. And yes, I have everything on low. Not to mention the fact that you will probably have a stuck mouse cursor on your screen at all times (which is really cool).

Do not buy this game. Ever. It's terrible. Download it and try it out if you have to - but for the love of god, don't pay for it.

If you still have some desire to play this game (I don't know why) - then get it for the Xbox (if you have one). Doesn't it make you feel good, knowing that a 700mhz P3 / 4mb GeForce 3 can run Doom 3 just fine - but your 1.5ghz G4 / 128mb 9700 can't?
Excuse me?

I am not a liar. Why would you think I would come on here to midlead someone? What good does that do for anyone? I am just trying to say that it is playable. No, it's not as smooth as it would be on a new G5, but all things considered, I think Doom 3 is an alright experience on a 12" Powerbook.

Thanks.

ATRAX

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2005
crachoar said:
They redid the game to run on the Xbox from what I read.

And at barefeats they show that the PB 1.5 ran Doom better than the old iMac G5 on medium settings with shadows off.

http://barefeats.com/doom3b.html

_pb_boi

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2004
Ya can argue out the minimum specs all you want. Bottom line is, it's gonna suck on anything less than a Power Mac G5. On an iMac G5, you'll get *acceptable* performance with graphics turned down. On a 12in Powerbook, you'll be lucky to survive the first level due to very low fps.

Frankly, you've a snowballs chance in hell of reaching anywhere near 25fps on a 12in Powerbook - could we see some screenshots of that, with an fps counter running?

andy.

freeorangeshoes

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2004
if it's any consolation, i thought the game pretty much sucked. talk about repetition. half-life 2 was much better (i know you can't get it for a mac).

crachoar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
Ohio
Yes, I am calling you a liar. But it's not because you want to be - it's because as a mac gamer, you've come to expect low quality...

See, mac ports have always sucked. When the game devs actually spend time to develope a mac release, alongside the PC release - then good things happen.

So as a mac gamer, you seem to think that low performance is normal, when in reality, it's not. It's just you being shafted by the game companies...

Of course, it wasn't always like this...

For example, Blizzard games (and before Doom 3, id Software games).

So, what you find 'acceptable', really is not. I just realized that you have the twelve inch powerbook with the 5200. Whoops, I thought you said you had the fifteen. See, I have the better video card and I can't get anything above 3fps when fighting enemies.

Sure, I can get 25fps when I'm looking at a wall, or the ground, or outside on Mars (when there aren't any enemies - but never during gameplay.

So if you're getting 25? Wow...

Basically, Doom 3 is a crappy game anyway, and runs like ass. Only get it for the Xbox if you can. And even then, I'd suggest getting Halo 2 or something else instead.

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
Doom 3 sucks on macs, period. Buy it for Xbox.

I'm not even happy how it runs on the lowest settings at 640x480 on my G5 with a Radeon 9800 Pro, I can't imagine playing it on a powerbook, let alone a 12" powerbook with a the 5200.

TheGimp

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2004
anywhere, usa
I own a stock 12" 1.5ghz Powerbook and and dual 1.8 Powermac G5 w/Radeon 9800SE video card and 2GB system ram.

Doom runs on the powerbook and I can run around in the corridors until the enemies appear, and then everything slows to a slideshow - no exaggeration. All this at 640x480 everything except bump-mapping OFF.

The Dual 1.8 runs Doom 3 almost "great". It does not suck. Maybe I have to choose between 800x600 shadows ON or 1280x1024 shadows off in order to average 40 fps, but that doesn't have me pining for the XBox's low-res, washed-out textures. In fact, the game is still playable at 1600x1200 on my system. Don't listen to these fools. Doom 3 as a game may arguably suck, but if it does it is not because it's on a mac.

IMO

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
TheGimp said:
I own a stock 12" 1.5ghz Powerbook and and dual 1.8 Powermac G5 w/Radeon 9800SE video card and 2GB system ram.

Doom runs on the powerbook and I can run around in the corridors until the enemies appear, and then everything slows to a slideshow - no exaggeration. All this at 640x480 everything except bump-mapping OFF.

The Dual 1.8 runs Doom 3 almost "great". It does not suck. Maybe I have to choose between 800x600 shadows ON or 1280x1024 shadows off in order to average 40 fps, but that doesn't have me pining for the XBox's low-res, washed-out textures. In fact, the game is still playable at 1600x1200 on my system. Don't listen to these fools. Doom 3 as a game may arguably suck, but if it does it is not because it's on a mac.

IMO
Ummm... don't listen to these fools? You just pretty much said it sucks on your mac laptop, which is what this whole thread is about... a mac laptop.

Speaking of "fools"... you sound just like another mac user with low standards who doesn't mind when their frames per second dips to the unplayable levels. Play it on a fast PC then on your powermac. Averaging 40 fps in Doom 3 is not what I would consider "great"... sure, I can get near 40 fps, then a couple of enemies come on screen and the experience is horrible with 15 fps. Great game to play, as soon as the fun parts start the game is a semi-slideshow.

Have you even played the Xbox version, let alone on an HDTV in 480p? Looks sharp for running at the resolution it does, and it very rarely drops in fps.

_pb_boi

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2004
TheGimp said:

IMO
As ZildjianKX said, you just royally contradicted yourself there. I wouldn't consider playing a slideshow anywhere near 'great' - and it's Powerbook performance this thread is about - and Powerbook performance you were referring to - not dual 1.8GHz playability.

andy.

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
It's barely playable.

But really, not worth it -- I recently upgraded the PC and without the extra shaders and details (on the Powerbook), it's just another FPS. At least if you bought it for PC or XBox, it'd be just another pretty FPS.