Dost a company actually dare turn down the seductive wiles of the iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lowrenced, Nov 4, 2011.

1. lowrenced macrumors newbie

lowrenced

Dost a company actually dare turn down the seductive wiles of the iPhone?

Can you believe it? This is amazing.

"Dost a company actually dare turn down the seductive wiles of the iPhone? As a matter of fact, there is at least one US carrier that has the audacity to say no to Tim Cook's face: US Cellular. During her company's quarterly earnings call, CEO Mary Dillon mentioned that the mobile provider was given the opportunity to sell the iPhone, but Apple's "terms were unacceptable" when considering the risk and profitability involved. It's bad news for anyone on US Cellular that was remotely interested in grabbing one; the good news, however, is that the fact the opportunity was even available -- paired with C-Spire's intentions of selling the devices next week -- will at least give hope to customers of the little guys. Cricket? Cincinnati Bell? Who's up next?"

Why would they do that to us? All i've wanted was one of those flashy devices. Don't get me wrong, android's great and all, but being a mac guy, having an iphone with total syncing capabilities would be great.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I think there was a few other international carriers that did the same.
    I guess the deal wasnt worth it to them and I can see where smaller carriers dont want to pay the "Apple Tax" in order to play ball.

3. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

If you really want an iPhone why don't you move to a different carrier when your contract ends. some carriers even pay the ETF and transfer your number for you.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

What carriers would pay the ETF for you in order to transfer to them?
    I know Verizon or AT&T wont in the US. I highly doubt Sprint does either.

5. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Apparently because agreeing to the terms of the deal would end with them going bankrupt. As far as I know that's a bit more important.

6. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

7. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

6 million US Cellular subscribers would disagree with you.

8. aneftp macrumors 68040

US cellular does not feel they can commit ($600 per iPhone up front times whatever Apple wants them to buy over 2-3 years).

US Cellular feels they there is too much risk.

Sprint had to borrow $7 billion just to cover some of its initial costs.

Maybe Apple wanted a guarantee of say 1 million iPhones purchased per year for the 6 million US Cellular customers ? Maybe something US Cellular feels they can't deliver.

I think Apple cut C Spire a much better deal than they offered Us Cellular.

After talking to people from the miss. Area. C Spire seems to have bulletproof coverage while the other carriers coverage is lacking. Maybe that's why Apple could afford to cut a small company more slack than US Cellular.