Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Theros

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 11, 2010
Hello, i have been for some time out of the Mac world.

Currently, i want to replace my Alienware 15 Early 2015 for a MBP 15" Retina (Im tired of Windows).

My last Mac was a MBP 15" 2012 (Classic model, no retina), but i remember that the performance in OS X had sometimes slow downs in teamfights, like i just play Starcraft, CS:Go/Quake Live and Dota 2, i dont seek for a high end gpu.

I know that Macs aren't for gaming (Specially coming from my Alienware's 970M), but like i dont play the most newer games, i think that fits my requirements (Also, i want to use it for university, learn xcode and sync more easily with my iPad/iPhone notes).

How is the performance with Dota 2 in OS X? Any issues with the 2015" model? How is the performance with the 2014 15" 750m?

Like i dont live in the US and with the current dollar, is really expensive in my country to buy the recent model (Almost 3k the 2015 15" with discrete gpu), so the older 2014 model is my second option.

Greetings

Last edited:

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
The 750GT is a bit faster than the 650GT you had in your classic MBP. Nothing to write home about.

sabbyp

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2013
I play dota2 semi-regularly on my rmbp 15 with the 750m.

The new source 2 client is always going to perform better under bootcamp + newest nvidia drivers + overclocking (msi afterburner/nvidia inspector)

but it'll play reasonably under osx if you dial the details down. Expect something like 40-50fps medium to high settings at a sub 1080p resolution.

sebott

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2015
Poland
I also plan to buy 15 inch Macbook Pro 2015 (with dGPU). The only games I play are Dota 2, WoW and Hearthstone. Could someone tell me how do these games perform under OSX (I do not want to bootcamp). Thx in advance and sorry for my English!

Theros

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 11, 2010
I also plan to buy 15 inch Macbook Pro 2015 (with dGPU). The only games I play are Dota 2, WoW and Hearthstone. Could someone tell me how do these games perform under OSX (I do not want to bootcamp). Thx in advance and sorry for my English!

At the end, i bought the 15" model with the dGPU.

With WoW and Hearthstone (including SC2 also), runs without problems at max settings.

Dota 2 runs without problems, in the 50-60fps average with everything at max, just some options like Antileasing and Ambient Occlusion disabled. The game still has a bug with the resolution (You can find my post at Valve's Github Dota Issues forum), when i try 1920x1200 i just can see the 1/4 of the screen but if you minimize the game with CMD+H and maximize it again, the issue is fixed.

Obviously you can use Bootcamp, but like i bought the 15" just for work basically and i have a desktop for gaming (I dont expect the same performance of my GTX 970), for me is not worth installing Windows just for 2-3 games (OS X is not perfect, but playable in decent settings).

Ovedius

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012
Norway
The new source 2 client is always going to perform better under bootcamp + newest nvidia drivers + overclocking (msi afterburner/nvidia inspector)

(I am most assuredly being somewhat tongue-in-cheek here)

You can not possibly be serious?
Overclocking your Macbook?

I have the 2015 15" Retina with the M370X and this thing throttles the GPU like a mother****er.
-and I swear it got worse in Bootcamp after upgrading to El Capitan (some suggest the BIOS has been tweaked) but I can't be sure.
If I overclock it, it will assplode.
And you overclock the GT 750M?
Why did they go with the M370X? :(

But on topic, I would not worry about running DOTA 2.
I figure if Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 run at 1680x1050 on high without even maxing the fan speed, DOTA 2 will run just fine.

Ovedius

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012
Norway
Like i dont live in the US and with the current dollar, is really expensive in my country to buy the recent model (Almost 3k the 2015 15" with discrete gpu), so the older 2014 model is my second option.

They recently adjusted the prices here in Norway as well.
And the top of the line 15" is now ludicrously expensive.
But on the other hand, I can now sell my Mac and get quite a lot more than I paid for it, kind of.
-not that I want to, but I could.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
The 750GT is a bit faster than the 650GT you had in your classic MBP. Nothing to write home about.

They're actually identical chips. They're even clocked the same on the rMBP (even though the 750M is suppose to be clocked a little higher). The only difference is 2GB of vRAM vs 1GB. I doubt dota 2 uses more than 1GB, even on high.

RoboWarriorSr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2013
I've heard mixed results with Dota 2 but theoretically it should be more than enough to play as the Iris 6100 can easily play the game. WoW play around low-medium setting 50 FPS on Iris 6100 (framerate probably lowers when in very intense battle to 30-40 FPS). My 4s play Hearthstone so I'm 100% any computer with a decent integrated graphic cards is more than enough to play it. The 9400m play the game very well so any computer you buy today will do the job (My HP Stream 7 with its Intel HD graphics and only 4 EU plays it fine on low).

Barna Biro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2011
Zug, Switzerland
Don't play games under OSX and you should be fine ( use Windows for gaming ).
Dota 2 is not a very demanding game ( except if you want to max out everything ).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.