Double message alert tones - why??

jbrown

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2002
London
When I receive a text message - I receive an alert tone. Then bout 2 minutes later, I receive another alert tone. But I only have one received message.

Why is this and can I stop it - it's annoying as I think there are 2 messages:roll eyes:

cheers

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
it's easy to miss if you don't know where to look. i'd have expected it to be under settings --> messages or maybe sounds, but nope. glad i was able to help.

Prof.

macrumors 601
Aug 17, 2007
Chicago
Repeated alerts also drain your battery faster since the screen turns on for a few seconds. Plus it's just annoying.

Eso

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2008
They introduced the second alert before they had notification center because it was much too easy to miss a text alert. Now that there's the notification center, I have no idea why they haven't removed it.

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
What a stupid useless feature
Yes, I agree. And its a standard setup on a new 4S. Once I noticed it, I immediately searched in the phone on how to turn it off, although I thought it would continuously bother me until I read the message until I saw how the setting was.

A notification light would be far more useful...

I used to think that, but then I owned a Blackberry for 2 years. That light got really annoying.

Technically, the iPhone has a notification light feature. Its in the Accessability settings (I dont have my iPhone handy to tell you the exact routing). The camera LED flashes when a new message arrives. Its pretty pointless if your phone is laying on its back like most iPhones do.

mbell1975

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012
No, I mean an LED light that blinks every 5-10 seconds after you miss a call or get a text you didn't see. Much easier then having to look at your phone all, the time