Double Standards

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Aranince, Dec 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nanvinnie macrumors regular

2. Aranince thread starter macrumors 65816

It's the stuff in my above article that make me furious. Homosexuals do not want to be treated equally, they want special treatment.

3. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

4. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Wow...so many things wrong with that article (even if we leave the pop-up ad asking me to donate money so that troops can have Bibles...what a fair and balanced site :rolleyes:).

First off, Matthew Shepard was murdered because he was gay. The testimony of the murderers' then girlfriends clearly indicated that the two were going to rob him so that "fags would know their place."

Secondly, no one defends date rape or murder (or any combination thereof), and we won't defend someone's actions just because he's gay. It's terrible that an innocent person lost their life. The murderer in this case should get life in prison, just like most murderers get for their crimes. (on a side note, I believe that overall homosexuals still have amongst the lowest rates of violence as perpetrators, but are unfortunately still targets of violence themselves)

Lastly, you don't understand the nature of hate crime legislation. It isn't intended to make the punishment more punitive, but to ensure that the victims aren't forgotten. Original hate crime legislation was written to ensure that Southern Whites wouldn't be able to get away with murder. With hate crime legislation being at the Federal level, it enables the Justice Department to bring charges when local governments are too bigoted to do so.

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Hang on. Where's the double standard? Please explain this for us.

There is no doubt that such a thing as hate crimes do exist, but in the case described in the article, it doesn't sound anything like a hate crime. It sounds much like a date rape/murder... they happen now and then, regardless of sexuality. Most of them happen to women.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Wait... so you're saying that if someone doesn't jump up and down and scream about some outrageous act, it follows that they support the act?

What does that say about all the Christians who didn't say anything about the Matthew Shephard murder? Does that mean THEY have a double standard too?

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Unbelievable. Yes, this person should go to prison for a very long time. But there's nothing here that indicates this was a hate crime. It was a rape/murder, and don't worry, I'm sure this person will get what's coming to him.

8. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Not a hate crime, unless there was some sort of motivation for the crime based on the person's race, sexual preference, or ethnic group, which doesn't appear evident.

As far as it seems to me from this story, it's just another murder committed by some sick individual. The fact that he is gay is just a side note that has little to do with the story at all.

SLC

9. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I agree, there's a lot of false equivalence in this article.

10. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Just go and read the front page of onenewsnow.com. You'll want to tear your eyeballs out with the stupidity.

11. Queso macrumors G4

Thanks for that insight into my own head. I wasn't aware until now what I really wanted, but suddenly everything is clear.

Of course if I wasn't so screwed up I'd be fancying women anyway. Never mind eh? Perhaps I'd best stop posting and get back to my drug-taking and sin so I can fulfil the expectations of the far right and die early :rolleyes:

For the record, murder is never right. The difference between this and Matthew Shepherd is that this was one effed-up individual acting out his fantasies rather than a group killing someone because he was different.

12. djellison macrumors 68020

No - you're demanding double standards of them. You're suggesting they should be outraged at this specific murder. Why not every single murder? I mean, they're all tragic - why are you furious about a lack of outrage against this particular one?

Doug

13. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I am closing this thread. Why? Because the OP only logged off a couple of minutes ago while everybody was posting, and didn't hang round to support his unsubstantiated and inflammatory comment.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=77413

Do not feed the trolls.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.