Doubling our efforts on secrecy ...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by davidgnomo, Sep 10, 2012.

1. davidgnomo macrumors 6502a

davidgnomo

I wonder if good ol' Tim will state something about the total failure of Apple efforts to keep secrecy on new products ... there's virtually nothing we don't expect from the iPhone 5, I hope we get some surprise ...

2. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

3. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

4. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

5. spacemanspifff macrumors 6502

spacemanspifff

I've seen the new iPhone today. It's taller, might even be a tad wider (I didn't have hands on), with a smaller dock connector. Full alloy (or carbon fibre) back, all black, no two tone, no breaks around the edge. Headphone jack on bottom. Looks very cool!

6. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

1) You are insane if you think Tim Cook will use a product announcement to describe failure.

2) There are a lot of rumors, but many times the rumors don't match the release. Remember the iPhone mini? Or the iPhone 5 that was to release last Fall? Remember the case company that actually made wedge-shaped iPhone 5 cases last year? Remember when the iPad 2 was going to have a retina display? In other words, what you think you know now is not necessarily the truth or the whole truth.

3) Some things Apple leaks on purpose. When the 7" Google Nexus was announced, suddenly in that week the Wall Street Journal, NY Times, and Washington Post all report from "reliable sources" that the 7" iPad Mini is on the way? CLEARLY that was Apple.

7. Boiler macrumors regular

Controlled leaks can be a good thing

A lot of people's livelihoods could be ruined for truly crossing the jobs cook line

8. tmanto02 macrumors 65816

tmanto02

Says the man who lives in space

9. zbarvian macrumors 68010

I hope he reveals a surprise, but I'm doubtful. There's just been too many identical part leaks and even a semi-working model. Plus with the iOS 6 emulator adapting for a 1136 by 640 resolution, I'm convinced we'll see a very similar model to all the leaks.

Unless this is the most elaborate corporate ruse ever, I'm pretty sure it's a done deal. Again, I'd love to be proven wrong.

10. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

That's why he can be trusted, he's the only one up there. Well, that we know of.

11. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

Pictures or it didn't happen. Please don't tell us you don't have a cell phone camera either :p

12. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Tim Cook: "Didn't lose the iPhone in a bar...Mission Accomplished!"

13. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

How much RAM?
    Camera sensor front or rear?
    GPU?
    CPU?
    Thunderbolt?
    USB3?
    LTE?
    NFC?

There's a lot we don't know, and considering what iPhone 5 info is worth, that in itself is no easy thing to protect.

14. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

look the new iPhone leaked,nothing he could do..they were and are in the process of manufacturing millions of them. while he pledged to double apples efforts on product security i'm sure he was talking about the iPad mini and the future apple products becasue there has not been anything on those

15. trlyka macrumors 6502a

trlyka

Come on spaceman.....Don't let people say things about you. When, where and how? Let's go! Cough it up! :rolleyes:

16. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Doubling efforts on security is a broad term. Nothing about that screams "but only for the iPad".

17. shoes222 macrumors member

We can already speculate most of these things pretty well with 90% certainty:
    1 GB RAM
    Faster and Smaller Dual Core Processor (A15 architecture?)
    Same PowerVR SGX543MP2 GPU with faster clock speed and DRAM
    No NFC in this model.
    Possible support for USB3/Thunderbolt with fancy adapter.
    Yes to LTE
    Better WiFi, better battery.
    Same 8MP camera on the back, possibly improved front camera.

Come back in a few days and tell me if I'm wrong with any of this stuff. Where Apple may completely surprise us is with some crazy new software feature, like Siri was last year. That's why I'll be interested in this year's event.

18. SiftWinnow macrumors member

I predict a fairly significant redesign for the new iPhone as opposed to the slightly tweaked versions of the 4/4S we have seen so far.

Samsung created three fake Galaxy III versions to prevent leaks and throw people off. Don't you think Apple is putting at least as much, if not considerably more, effort into ensuring the newest iPhone design isn't leaked?

Think about it: if you were Apple and wanted to intentionally leak a design to placate people into thinking they had seen the new redesign, how would you do it? The answer: do exactly what we have seen so far. Create a fake that gives away the least amount of information about the real design as possible, yet is still believable. Specifically, take an iPhone 4/4S and keep the same exact design and make it longer but not wider, make it slightly thinner, and change the look of the backplate slightly. The combination of those changes is probably the very minimum that Apple could do to the current 4/4S design and have people believe it was the iPhone 5. So why not just leak a simple fake with those minimal changes, fool people into believing they've seen the new design, and then the pursuit for information about the new redesign ends because everyone believes they've seen it.

In actuality, I think the new iPhone is going to be a total redesign from the ground up that looks nothing like the 4/4S with as big of a screen--maybe 4-4.3"--as they could get away with without increasing the overall size much. I really think the screen is going to be at least 4" and most likely even bigger. Just look at the new Motorola Razr M which they say is the size of an iPhone 4/S, but has a 4.3" screen. If Motorola can fit a 4.3" screen into something the size of the current iPhone, you can't tell me that Apple isn't going to do something like that with the new iPhone 5.

Think about it, we knew nothing about what the 4S would look like--even though it ended up being the same, and the 4 was left behind at a bar, which was an unforeseen error. I don't remember back to the 3G, but even if that design was leaked that still means there have been no "leaks" of the design of the last two iPhones. Now with the "doubling down on secrecy" and the fact that this in some ways will be the biggest consumer product launch ever, I think the secrecy has been airtight and I don't think we have any idea what the new version will look like.

19. elementskins macrumors member

elementskins

Finally, a voice of reason. I thought I was alone in this thinking.

Many people have pointed to the cost involved to produce these "leaked" parts as not being reasonable to be done as a fake. But, for a company like Apple, those costs aren't even a blip on the balance sheet, and accomplish a lot of hype without revealing anything real. I don't think the phone we see on the 12th will look anything like the "leaked" phone that's been making its rounds.

But that's just me, and the guy in the post above, I guess :)

20. edurican macrumors newbie

My question is that if the 'real' iPhone is the one in the pictures, why hasn't apple sued their behinds? Not even phone calls? Maybe I'm trying to stay positive on the thought that it may not be the device being shown off on Wednesday.

21. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

They might not even have to put money into it... It could be a prototype for all we know.

I hope we get something we haven't seen simply because that would be pretty incredible to be truly surprised during the keynote. I think the media would go crazy, especially if it was something epic.

Another potential possibility is the phone we have seen leaked is an update to for the 4/4S with the new adapter and 16:9. It also would not need a bigger battery because it doesn't have LTE. (This is something I doubt will happen, but I suppose anything could happen)

I want that to happen, but I think we will get a more refined and polished version of the iPhone we have seen leaked. But it would be cool to be surprised on Wednesday.

The thing that leaves me the most curious, is how there doesn't seem to be any attack by Apple on the "GooPhone i5" or whatever it is. The fact that they are claiming to sue Apple if they try to release the new iPhone in China (I have even seen this on Yahoo, but it may have been a link on Yahoo to another page like the one below). I can't see why Apple would just let that happen.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-09-06/enter-goophone-i5-looking-a-lot-like-apples-iphone-5

22. mytakeontech macrumors 6502a

I doubt this is controlled leak but I would be pleasantly surprised it was :)

23. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

If you have to speculate it means you don't know and secrecy has succeeded.

24. nfl46 macrumors 603

Maybe he was talking about 2013 and beyond products. I mean, we don't know much about the Apple TV...of course the iPhone 5 parts were going to leak...its not like we knew tons of details about it 6 to 10 months ago.

25. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Yes, but by that same reasoning it also doesn't mean every aspect of their business.