Dow zooms over 1,200 points since Trump victory

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Dec 20, 2016.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

http://money.cnn.com/2016/12/07/investing/trump-dow-jones-1000-points-election/
    Hillary is going to win = fail
    Market it going to plunge = fail.

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Probably the Russians pumping cash into our market to influence our stock choices.

3. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

The dow jump is actually just a fake news story.

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Meanwhile, mortgages are being handed out like candy again, now with Apps (Rocket Mortgage being an example). Same with sub prime auto loans. Cars are being sold with no payments for 5 months.

A crash is coming, it has nothing to do with Trump, and everything to do with the fact that nothing was done to prevent the same systemic issues (derivative trading and default swaps) from last time.

Trump gets to decide if he's going to be FDR 2.0, or Hoover 2.0.

5. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

Let's not start patting each others backs, yet, four years is a long time in Dow years.

6. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

the Dow seems to me like a child's ups and downs to a cartoon. every little thing up and down for no real reason.

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

So, much like the Trump Presidency.

8. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

have there been any ups? or do you mean the child part?

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The Dow is a ridiculous index. That said, stocks are up under Trump.

10. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

It's odd to think that a pro business leader like Trump would hurt the market, but the increase (7.8%) seen since the election is beating the average growth in the year (6.7%). There also might be a psychological push to get to the DJIA to the 20K mark...

However the article does have it's warnings:
    Just be careful about claiming victory at this point. So far two of his tweets made around $3Billion in market capital disappear in a week. (See Boeing and Lockheed-Martin et al.)

11. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

Riots: Fail
    Recounts: Fail
    Russia hacked: Fail
    Threaten electors: Fail
    Trump will not #MAGA: Fail

12. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

Wonder if Trump would send me his tweets, before he tweets them, I could make a killing shorting stocks.:D

13. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Who gives a crap about the Dow? It's the most useless metric. Nobody - literally nobody - in the financial industry gives two tugs of a dead dog's dick about the Dow.

14. yaxomoxay, Dec 20, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2016

yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Financially, what you say is true. Said that, the DJIA still works as an indicator of trust, albeit a very general one.

15. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

No it doesn't, almost all correlation studies have shown the Dow to be rubbish at indicating anything.

For indicators of trust today - whatever that means in market terms - there are much better indicators. For example, the CCI has been shown to be a very good predictor of market trends.

The only reason newspapers still publish the Dow is because it's the oldest index. If you need to compare today's markets with markets from 1900, you need an index that has been meticulously and regularly calculated for 120 years, and thus the Dow is your only option.

I tell people who ask me about stock markets: if there is one thing you remember from this conversation, remember to never consider or look at the Dow at all.

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I wish the financial channels would bother to not cast the Dow as the standard.

17. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Agreed. There is some weird consumer expectation to see it though. Like the giant gaps in bathroom toilet stall walls / doors - every public bathroom has them as if it's a rule that they must have the gaps, yet they're totally unnecessary and we would all be better off without them.

18. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I second this.

19. elistan macrumors 6502a

Are... are we using DJI to establish the quality of presidential administrations?
    Or are we criticizing the prognosticating ability of forcasting firm Macroeconomic Advisers?

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I've heard from people outside the US that our bathroom stalls are rather barbaric compared to much of the world...

21. daflake macrumors 6502a

Umm... Obama is still in office. Just sayin.

The point JK was making was that nothing bad happened after he won. If you are pissed about the stuff above, you should probably take it up with the current administration.

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I understand that, he's a corporatist that ensured corporate welfare was doled out string free on a level never before seen in American history while telling people being (fraudulently) kicked out of their homes to **** off. The crash is coming, and both of these corporate parties are to blame.

23. daflake macrumors 6502a

So you are mad at Trump because of something that hasn't happened yet and may not happen? Nice....

Why not be mad at the person who is watching it happen, you know, they guy already in charge?

24. forcesteeler macrumors 6502

Trump is not even the president yet. Plus Wall Street Dow Ticker is rising because Trump Said he is going to get rid of alot of regulation that was put into place during the 2008 crisis. All these Hedge Funds Trader, and Banks love it because its like christmas,

No regulation, Now i can sell people homes with 400 credit score. Yes you can sell alot of homes now but it will be like 2008 all over again when these people cannot pay there mortgage.

No wonder bernie madoff said the US Government is 1 giant Ponzi Scheme thats why we have crashes every couple of years.

25. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Can you read? The economy has had "red flashing lights" since at least 2013. We've just skated by another election without the house of cards coming down, but it's going to. Who said I'm made at trump for the crash? I clearly stated this is the fault of both parties.

Maybe read my posts before setting up your straw man to knock down?