Downgrade Familytalk plan from 700m to 550m for 2 iPhone 3GS's

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ultravioletfly, Jun 19, 2009.

1. ultravioletfly macrumors regular

So my wife and I each got an iPhone today on a Familytalk plan with 700 min, the lowest offered at the Apple Store. Now, when I log into our wireless account info and click on "change rate plan," I am offered the 550 min plan, which is $10 less than the 700 min plan. This ends up being $119 a month, compared to $129.

After selecting this option, I think I just have to click the Submit button, but I've been hesitant to do so. Has anyone downgraded their familytalk plan like this before? Was ATT cool with it?

LC

2. RickyD53 macrumors regular

The ATT rep told me and my sister that if the 550 familyplan wasnt enough for us we could upgrade to the 700 without a problem and not having to restart the 2 year plan. so im guessing that downgrading shouldnt be a problem either.

3. joekun macrumors regular

I did the exact same thing last year on 3G launch day. Of course it didn't go into effect until the next month, but I have had no issues whatsoever, go for it.

4. rfrankl macrumors 6502

I recently downgraded from the 700 to 550 also with no problems. I always thought the 700 was the lowest, then when I was looking at my upgrade ability, I saw the 550 which is still plenty enough for my wife and I. $10 savings per month is $10 per month.

5. x0lliex macrumors member

We have two lines (both iPhone 3G's) on the 550 plan and have been for the last year. With two iPhone data plans and two $8.99 1500 messages plans (TMS4) our bill with taxes and fees is $127.xx each month. Not too bad. Oh that is with my company discount (22%).

6. Incindium macrumors member

If you downgrade your minutes plan like that will you still retain your rollover minutes? I've got enough rollover minutes currently that even with going over every month I could go a year before I ran out of them if I get to keep then after downgrading. I'm planning on getting a 3gs and dropping $10 a month for minutes would help me stomach the $30 data plan better.

7. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

You will keep your rollover minutes. But becareful; make sure the lower minute plan also doesn't have a lower data or MMS plan.

8. Spiffyis5150 macrumors member

No, you won't keep all of your rollover minutes. AT&T has had a policy in place for a while now that they reset your rollover minutes to whatever plan that you switch to. This was put in effect especially for people downgrading as they had some people who get a really large plan and accrue the rollover minutes and then downgrade their plans and keep the rollover minutes accrued from the larger plan. I'm not so thrilled about it because they are doing it for any plan change which seems silly to me if you upgrade a plan that you lose rollover minutes. Here's the URL of the link for losing rollover minutes from AT&T's website(although they say nothing about upgrades, over in the ATT forum at howardforums.com, people have indicated they lost their rollover minutes when their plan changed):

http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-..._dyncharset=UTF-8&solutionId=52371&isSrch=Yes