Downgrade from Lion to Snow Leopard??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bigpoppamac31, Jun 18, 2013.

1. bigpoppamac31 macrumors 68000

I have a MBP (Early 2011) refurb. It shipped with Lion although I was hoping it would have shipped with SL. If I bought a copy of SL from the Apple online store could I install it on my Mac as a downgrade? i think my big concern is that my apps are all updated so they may be new enough that that won't support SL. I have not upgraded to ML so I'm still on Lion. Many people still say that SL is the best OSX Apple has done so far. I had SL on my previous Macbook (black) but when I got my new MBP I transferred everything from my bootable SL backup and wrote over it with a Lion backup. In any event would a downgrade be possible?

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You need the special grey restore DVDs for that model; retail SL is only version 10.6.3 and lacks the necessary drivers (I think 10.6.6 was the minimum required). You might be able to find the DVDs on eBay.

3. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

Why would Apple sell it at 10.6.3 and not the latest SL release version?

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It's comparatively expensive to produce new DVDs and the demand won't be high enough to justify it.

5. benwiggy macrumors 68020

If you go back, you'll find just as many people complaining about bugs and changes in Snow Leopard as did about bug and changes in Lion.
    If I were you, I would stick with Lion, while you work out whether your apps need updating, and then get Mavericks when it comes out later in the year.

"Many people still say that Mavericks is the best OSX Apple has done so far." :D

6. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

Maybe. I'm just saying that it seemed like Lion and ML got more mixed reviews then did Snow Leopard. It seemed like SL got such great praise cause it was so rock solid and everything worked so well. Plus I do miss the old Expose. I've always hated "mission control" in Lion.

That being said I know there are some features of Mavericks that I am looking forward to. Like the new Safari, Maps, Multiple Displays, and I'd like to have Airplay. And like I said If I were to revert back to SL I'd be worried about my apps not working cause they are too new and no longer support SL.