Downgrading will cost 3500€ :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DaninSpain, Jul 18, 2016.

  1. DaninSpain macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2016
    #1
    Hi.
    I currently have a 3kg 2011 17" MBP 2.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor with 16gb Ram.
    I make short films for a living and this laptop has been well and truly hammered over the last 5 years. FCPX is a very demanding piece of editing software. I now almost exclusively use 4k footage which has my poor laptop calling suicide helplines.
    So. my question is; has anybody using this sort of demanding software upgraded their MBP to a new model and really thought it was worth the expense? And, when I say expense, I mean expense: 3600€. Is it much quicker/better than my old model?
    I state in my title 'downgrading' because I will be forced to accept a smaller screen as the 17" no longer exists.
    I like my MBP, so not really interested in changing to a Windows laptop.
    I need my portability , so therefore a desktop is no good.
    Even though I use ext HD's for my work, I want a decent size built in HD, hence the added expense as they only offer SSD internal storage.
     
  2. Freida macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2010
    #2
    Yeah, the 17" is truly missed by me too but it doesn't look good. I have 15 retina and even though it handles the stuff well, the screen is just small. But this topic was here few times and people just get angry that we wanna have 17" back. :)
    Lets see what fall will bring. Maybe they will (and should) simplify the line up to 12, 14, 16 which would at least give us a tiny bit more :D

    17" 1920x1200 in retina would be amazing though. I would buy it immediately
     
  3. Fishrrman macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2009
    #3
    There aren't going to be any more 17" Mac laptops.
    From this point on, 15" is "the biggest you're going to get".

    So.... your choice is....
    - Get a retina MacBook Pro,
    or
    - Wait for the NEW retina MacBook Pro's, which (as they say) are "coming soon".

    The new ones should have some VERY nice updates...
     
  4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2013
    #4
    Not sure what your question is??? They don't make the 17 inch anymore, if you want a desktop replacement laptop with OS X and a dGPU then the 15 inch is your only option.

    Yes it is a lot quicker for FCPX due to far better graphics and some new architecture, however upgrades in mobile NVIDIA and AMD graphics cards will be in new laptops and hopefully macs (AMD only I would guess) in the near future so I would would wait for that then decide. They are far better on power consumption and provide a big performance boost according to the official blurb so now is not the time to buy if you can wait a month or three.

    @ Freida it's not that people are angry that you want a 17 inch MacBook Pro, that is perfectly understandable, however banging on about it on message boards does nothing, it's boring, pointless and will not magically make Apple start producing one after 5 years.
     
  5. Freida macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2010
    #5
    You are correct. I did submit Apple feedback though :D
     
  6. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #6
    Can you use a rMBP and have it hooked up to an external monitor, to give you the larger display you need?
     
  7. tubeexperience, Jul 18, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2016

    tubeexperience macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2016
    #7
    What you have to understand is that these days, Apple is all about selling flashy products to 14-years olds.

    Professionals like you are NOT Apple's intended customers any longer, hence no 17" MacBook Pro for you.

    I am hanging on to my 17" MacBook Pro knowing that Apple won't release another.
     
  8. tonyunreal macrumors regular

    tonyunreal

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2010
    #8
    If Apple somehow pulls a 16" rMBP this year I would definitely buy one in a heart beat, my 2011 17" feels like its on its last leg even with an SSD upgrade. The macOS coming out next year will probably drop support of this model as well (pure speculation).
     
  9. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

    ApolloBoy

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2015
    Location:
    San Jose, CA
    #9
    Actually it will support your 17" MBP as long as it's a 2010 or newer model.
     

Share This Page