download album art of album that's playing?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by eroxx, Mar 18, 2011.

1. eroxx macrumors 6502a

Why can't I find a program that downloads album art? I'd love something that searches the whole library, but I'll settle for something that downloads album art for the currently playing album. I've googled, searched the app store, etc ... Please help! :) thanks!

2. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

iTunes has a Get Album Artwork pick in the Advanced Menu; this will add artwork to the more popular stuff, provided it's properly tagged. Other than that, you're on your own, especially if your "currently playing album" is not recognized by the iTunes store. If you've ripped your CD yourself or gotten the music from... ahem, other sources, the metadata likely won't match Apple's database.

You could always fill in the artwork yourself-- it's drag-and-drop. I use two Web-based sources myself:
    Album Art Exchange: very high quality, searching leaves a little to be desired.
    Discogs.com: inconsistent image quality and tends to be skewed to electronic/dance/house/techno, but search function is powerful and entries have full track information for imports and alternative releases of an album. This is quite important for DJs and dance music collectors, as import 12" single covers are often different from country to country, especially when another label is involved.