Download any type of files with Safari

Discussion in 'iPad' started by brandaopj, Apr 4, 2012.

1. brandaopj macrumors member

Hi,

How can I download files with safari to my iPad? Is it possible to send it directly to Dropbox?

Thanks

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

If you want to download image files, just email them to yourself or save them to your camera roll.

3. brandaopj thread starter macrumors member

I am not thinking in any kind of file in particular...

4. Capt T macrumors 6502a

I use goodreader to download file, since that is usually what I am looking at them in. In safari you just add a g to the front of the address, and it downloads to goodreader.

5. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

I don't know much about safari since I don't use it, but you can download any file with Atomic and yes, there is a send to Dropbox option. Another nice feature it has over safari is user agent switching, so you can make sites think you're on a desktop if their mobile site sucks.

6. brandaopj thread starter macrumors member

Is this functions available in lite version?

7. mac.junkie macrumors member

mac.junkie

If you press and hold on a PDF, for instance, it'll give you the option to open with iBooks or Open in... You can then choose Dropbox from the Open in... option.

8. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

I think the only way the lite version is hobbled is a limit on the number of tabs you can have open, but you might want to check the app store description to see if it lists other things.

9. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

Basically you can’t download just any type of file. There has to be a “handler” for the filetype. There’s a few built in, and other apps can register their ability to handle certain content.

For example, if I open a PDF in Safari, I have the option to open in iBooks, but there’s an “Open In” option with a list of apps that have registered their ability to handle PDF format: iBooks, Kindle, Notability and DropBox.

10. brandaopj thread starter macrumors member

11. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

It’s exactly what I explained above. There isn’t an app on your iPad that’s registered itself to handle an APK file. Basically if there’s no way to handle the file, iOS doesn’t provide a way to download it, because it would basically be sitting inert on the device.

OOC, why are you trying to download an Android package to your iPad?

[edit]

Yeah, that’s a Tapatalk Beta for Android ...

12. brandaopj thread starter macrumors member

Because I have an android phone and I was looking for new apps in the iPad. I was trying to send the file to dropbox and then download it with android, but in this case is not possible.

By the way... Atomic cant handle the file to. Even the paid version can't do it.

13. Feed Me macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

Safari can download any file you throw at it - it just can't do anything with them unless it's an image file, PDF, video, etc.

For instance, your .apk file downloaded perfectly on my iPad, and I have it sitting in a tab. If you have an app installed like iFiles (AppStore) which can handle files of any type, you can choose to open the .apk in the app.

iFiles also has the option to add your Dropbox account, and allows you to upload the .apk to Dropbox. All done on your iPad.

14. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

Ahhh, gotcha!

If I’m looking around like that I generally just add the URL to my Safari Reader list, and then grab it later via my notebook.

You do raise an interesting point about DropBox. Since it can technically handle any file, it must be “inheriting” the file type handling from other apps.

Nice, I wondered about that app, got it marked in my wish list. Looks like it registers itself to handle all file types, and save to DropBox, even if there’s not an app that can handle it. BTW, I think you are getting the download-ability because of iFile, I can’t download something like an APK either.

15. Feed Me macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

[​IMG]

Weird

16. brandaopj thread starter macrumors member

Thank you :)

17. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

No that’s awesome, and the expected behavior! You’ve got iFiles so the downloader function shows it as an option. I would guess if you click your “Open In” button you’ll see iFiles as well. My open button is inert, because I don’t have anything on my iPad that knows how to deal with APK files.

For now, I think you just convinced me to score iFiles!

18. brandaopj thread starter macrumors member

I've just bought it and works like a charm. Another feature of this app is the hability to download folders from Dropbox :)

19. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

Squashy should email the iFiles guys and get some commission. Two sales in like 10 minutes :D

20. Feed Me macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

These will count as my 6th and 7th sales of iFiles directly because of me :p
    I purchased myself a copy, and whenever one of my friends gets a new iOS device, I always gift them a copy of iFiles too.

21. Still100 macrumors regular

Wow, ifiles looks like quite a good app, better than good reader but I'm reluctant to buy yet another app that doesn't meet my needs. It says it can edit text files in the cloud, has anyone tried that with a WebDAV server?

22. klover macrumors 6502a

Huge fan of iFiles. I can download vids/music and then open it in directly in Cinexplayer, etc.

It's pretty much laptop-like file access and control. Even has .rar support.

23. Still100 macrumors regular

Does ifiles allow you sync folders? That's the big plus of goodreader that I've not seen elsewhere.

24. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

Both GoodReader as previosuly mentioned and the iCab browser for iPad will also allow you to download and store (and then upload if you wish) files of any time.

25. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

Filer
    Airsharing
    Atomic Web Browser has Dropbox Built in.