Download both SD & HD versions of iTunes Movie Purchases

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by m021478, Mar 10, 2013.

1. m021478 macrumors 6502

To the best of my recollection, in the past when I would purchase a movie from the iTunes store it would download two copies of the movie ~ one in 1080p (HD), and one in 720p (SD) resolutions. Now, when I purchase a movie it seems to only download the 1080p version.

I know that you can specify in iTunes preferences whether you would like to download the 1080p or 720p version, but what I would like to achieve is what used to happen which was downloading both SD & HD versions. This way I could sync the SD version to my iOS devices, and play the HD version on my computer and on my Apple TV 3.

Did something change? Am I missing something? Is there any way to download both versions of a movie as I used to be able to?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

Just for clarification, 720p is HD, albeit 1080i/p often gets called Full HD.
    SD is 480i/p and lower in NTSC centric countries (Japan and USA), 576i/p is the SD resolution in PAL centric countries (almost all the other countries on this little rock).

3. m021478 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes I realize 720p is sometimes considered HD, but with all due respect, I'm sure you realize that that tidbit of information is completely unrelated to my original question.

Does anyone else have any feedback related to whether or not there's a way to download both 720p & 1080p versions of a purchased iTunes movie, as I believe used to be done by default?

4. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

5. simsaladimbamba

While it is not related to your original question, it (the original question) was showing a lack of knowledge, as the above sentence does too. 720p is not sometimes considered HD, it is HD.

6. m021478 thread starter macrumors 6502

Dude... go somewhere else and waste someone else's time. You're not helping. Please.

I appreciate your consideration.

----------

This was very helpful. Thank you for your assistance!

7. simsaladimbamba

Sorry, I just wanted to clear things up regarding HD and SD, as I never saw 720p being described as SD. That is all. I leave you alone now.