Download iOS6 take away your warranty? Is it like jailbreaking? PLEASE RESPOND!

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by imjoee, Jun 15, 2012.

1. imjoee macrumors 6502

imjoee

I don't want to jailbreak or void my warranty. I'd like to get IOS6 but don't know if I should. I want the new features but I don't want to ruin my iPhone

2. Robbietaylor macrumors regular

iOS 6 is for developers only.

3. Futhark macrumors 65816

Futhark

This is not for you until its the final release

4. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Ok unlike those before me I will actually answer your question because what you choose to do with your phone is your business and I am not here to be the Apple police;

downloading ios6 will not void your warranty. Should you take your phone into the Apple store for anything they have no way of knowing whether you are a legitimate developer or not. But they will probably ask you to restore your phone to the current iOS before servicing your phone. Furthermore you can restore your phone to the current iOS before taking it in to Apple anyways so its a moot point.

5. imjoee thread starter macrumors 6502

imjoee

Ok thanks! I'll just wait till it officially comes out. Thanks for properly answering my question #

----------

A developer is Someone who makes an app? How do I become one because I'd like to make an app but I don't want to do it for ios6 id like to make some money off an app I make.

6. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

I too will add a reply that will answer your question, as opposed to climbing up onto the predictable high horse that appears on these forums every WWDC.

Yes, iOS 6 is currently in beta, which means only developers have access to it.

Installing the beta, if you have the means, will not void your warranty in the way jailbreaking is considered to. If you had an issue with your iPhone or iPad whilst and iOS 6 beta is installed, the Genius could well turn you away citing the beta software as causing your problem. Jailbreaking is a hack to enable access to the root of the device as you no doubt know, which is entirely different.

Whilst some here like to get all pompous and frown upon, talk down to, and be condescending to those who enquire about using the latest iOS betas, it's normal that some would like to use the betas without being a developer.

There are services, who I cannot name due to forum rules, who will happily register your device UDID on a developer account for a small fee. The only issue I have with some people having access to the beta software are that some cannot comprehend that the software is not finished, and thus come on here to moan about something not working properly, which in turn angers developers.

Some users, again not understanding that the software is in beta, leave bad reviews for apps on iTunes because they are as yet not compatible with iOS 6, again due to it being beta software.

If you acknowledge the software is in beta, is only in it's first beta release, and don't aim to leave scathing reviews on the App Store because apps don't get work with unreleased software you have chosen to run, by all means source out access to a developer account to enable your device.

Otherwise, hold out until the GM release at the very least.

7. moonman239 macrumors 68000

I don't think you can go back to iOS 5.1 without doing some hacking.

That's what Apple always says when you go to install a beta OS.

8. lewys macrumors 6502

lewys

i hhave instealled iOS 6 beta one and have also restored back to 5.1.1 as apple is still signing it

9. moonman239 macrumors 68000

I'll take your word for it.

10. Rasta4i macrumors member

Rasta4i

11. pmau macrumors 65816

If they did not update the baseband in the first beta you can still downgrade.
    I have not checked it out yet.

12. FreaKGeeKs macrumors newbie

As per, Apple is still signing the iOS 5.1.1 SHSH. So it means you can easily downgrade your device iOS version.

1- download iOS 5.1.1 for your device.
    2- Run iTunes and connect your iPhone / iPad and press shift + Restore on windows and select the iOS 5.1.1 iPSW to restore your device.

13. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

You go to DFU mode, option+click on Restore, choose ipsw file, and off you go.

Been there, done it, worn the t-shirt, on both iPhone and iPad.

14. artgalgenius macrumors member

This page has all sorts of info about the developer program. The resources tab at the top has a lot of reading material you can get started with before actually registering with Apple.

https://developer.apple.com/programs/

15. imjoee thread starter macrumors 6502

imjoee

Thank you so much for the long detailed, responsive message! I will wait till the official IOS6 comes out.

----------

Thanks I'll check it out!

----------

I would have to be able to make apps? Like h e adobe programs or does apple supply them? Is it worth spending the 100$ yearly? Will I get my money back if my app goes onto the store

16. MattInOz macrumors 68030

MattInOz

If your starting today with little or no development background but a strong will to learn the chances of you even releasing an app in this year is slim. Let alone making big bucks.

You can get xCode for free from the Mac App Store for free, which is the main development environment. You'll still need various graphic editors and other bits and pieces not supplied by Apple but you'll work that out as you go.
    Save the first $100 of investment for a few training books on learning C, objective-C and Cocoa-Touch. All these will be based on iOS5 or earlier. iOS6 will probably be public before you get into the specifics of iPhone or iPad development.

If your serious check out the Programming Forums here at MacRumors. There are lots of newbie threads to help you get going in the right direction.

17. jman240 macrumors 6502a

Try the free xcode from the Mac App Store first. Look for tutorials and even open source iOS apps to learn from. There are also 3rd party SDKs out there to speed up development of certain types of apps like http://unity3d.com/ for games etc. Lots of resources out there to look at. I'd start with the basics and go from there. I've also seen lots of good libraries so you don't have to re-invent the wheel every time you want to do something like this http://code.google.com/p/core-plot/.

18. imjoee thread starter macrumors 6502

imjoee

Wow! Sounds like a lot of work! I rather save my time an money for the 13" MacBook air.
    Thanks for the help!

----------

Thanks for the reply! But I dot see myself becoming a goo designer. I'm on graphics so... Haha. I'll save my money for the MacBook air.