Download of the Zebra wallpaper (MBP Retina) allowed by author

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fredsarran, Jun 20, 2012.

1. fredsarran macrumors 6502

fredsarran

I received a email from Steve Bloom with a link to how to obtain the wallpaper showed at WWDC2012 on the new MacBook Pro Retina :

http://www.stevebloomphoto.com/download.php

Sadly, the resolution is only 1440 by 900px and a massive watermark plastered on the photo !

2. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

Low res nastiness, and you're right about that HUGE watermark, waste of time.

3. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

watermark smack dab in teh middle of the photo. And huge, like you said. What a bunch of *****. I'm not gonna use a pic with a huge eye-sore in the middle of it on my desktop.

4. fredsarran thread starter macrumors 6502

fredsarran

Yeap, thats just stupid what they have done. Nobody will use it.

I emailed them back explaining those issues of low rez and massive watermark.

5. fs454 macrumors 65816

Is it not possible to shoot the guy a couple bucks for a proper resolution version?

It's pretty ignorant for him to post this up saying "get the amazing wallpaper for your iPhone/iPad/Mac" when it barely meets the native resolution for any of these devices and also has a giant watermark on it, especially after Apple used it(for a huge payoff) to specifically advertise the ultra high-resolution Retina display.

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Not sure of the fuss
    I don't find it to be a very interesting picture myself
    Wouldn't be my choice for anything

7. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

agreed whats with the big hard on for zebras on your desktop?

also why would you want a wallpaper that was advertised to millions, have some originality

8. JPOWA macrumors regular

The wallpaper is present on the last update of Mountain Lion! ;)

9. Taylor-C macrumors 6502a

Link please! :)

10. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

11. Taylor-C macrumors 6502a

Huh... I meant for the image not the operating system...
    Were you just joking about the image being there? :confused:

Might just have to pay the £50 and then leak it for everybody!

12. Taylor-C macrumors 6502a

Here is the image if you cant be bothered to sign up for stuff to get the free (i.e. crap) wallpaper :)

Attached Files:

13. leenak macrumors 68020

Although the watermark is a bit much with the info on the left side, it is the guys property so he has the right to do what he wants. If you love, love, love the photo, you could pay $76 for it or you could jump through the small hoops the guy set up to get the wallpaper.

I'd personally just look elsewhere.

14. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

its likey just BS since there are so many of these zebra threads im sure it would of been posted already, the ML outter space wall was posted within minutes of the first Developer Preview

15. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I would've rather purchased a hi res for $5 but whatever.

16. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

I just lost quite a bit of respect for Steve Bloom for putting up such a long-winded request process for a highly watermarked photo. What was the point...?

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

[MOD NOTE]
    Do not post the actual hi res images in this thread, otherwise they will get deleted. The author has not given approval to freely give away his work and we must respect that.

18. monkthehonk macrumors member

not sure if it was true or not, but if it was actually in the developer preview for mountain lion, doesn't that make it ok to make available?

19. Bradllez macrumors 6502

Bradllez

This is what confuses me.

I see nothing wrong with what I did.

20. fs454 macrumors 65816

I'm not sure I agree entirely. Apple has certainly paid massive royalties to the photographer to use this photo for both promotional purposes and to include it in their next operating system which will be distributed to millions, it's just not available yet as the OS hasn't officially released. I'm not sure why this particular photog is pulling back so hard, I mean, it literally is displayed on Apple's front page.

Obviously, I respect the forum rules and won't post it/encourage it to be posted, but this is a particularly weird situation.

21. powerocool macrumors 6502

powerocool

The retina sized wallpaper 3200x2000 is included in the latest Mountain Lion. Is it really a big deal to not post this?

22. fs454 macrumors 65816

It seems to have been okay in the past to do this, which is why I think this situation requires further review.

23. Zorn macrumors 6502a

Zorn

I think the issue is that here the author is making a big stink over it. Which is definitely his right, but it still makes him a jerk. Apple undoubtedly paid him a huge sum to use this image in the promo stuff for the new MBPs, so to sort of flip off the users who want the wallpaper for personal use, by requiring a email list signup, a facebook like, and then only giving out a low resolution version with tons of advertising all over it, just very poor form.