Download videos from youtube and apple iphone license

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by umen, Apr 28, 2013.

1. umen macrumors newbie

Hello
    i want to create youtube video downloaded'r for offline personal use ( when we drive and there is no fast net connection )
    for personal use . i know that as regarding to YouTube license its gray area and apple doesn't allow it in iPhone
    but i found out that iphone app named : PlayTube
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/play-tube-best-youtube-player/id541802975?mt=8

enable downloading to some-kind of closed directory called 'cache' , my question is how can it be ?
    it seams that it doesn't break any license by doing it .
    how come?

2. xStep macrumors 68000

I noticed that the first three reviews said the cache was no longer included. Either the creator was told to remove it by YouTube or they removed it for some other unknown reason.

As to how one might make a cache version. I'd think the stream is a type like H264 and that simply encoding it into a container such as a .MOV file and saving it to the apps local folder would work. You'll need to figure that out on you own. :)

3. umen thread starter macrumors newbie

well the free version can download it to cache , any way i know how to make youtube download , my question is license question .
    by the way can i ask the apple IOS about such type of questions ? somehow ...

4. xStep macrumors 68000

Apple will tell you what Apple will say; We can't tell you the legal issues, consult a lawyer.

If you read the EULA on YouTube, I'm sure somewhere it says that you may not download the content to a device. Only streaming is allowed. An exception might be made if YT has the ability for the poster to set an exception. I don't remember seeing that.