downloaded 'Find My iPhone' on itunes in my mbpr, but can't find it.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Appletise, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Appletise macrumors member

l thought it would be found in the "SpotLight" or in utilities, but can't find it. currently track my iphone with icloud.com but it looks imprecise (please see attachment) compared to
    'Find My iPhone' in my iphone, as shown by https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/find-my-iphone/id376101648?mt=8

l was hoping for same precision using this feature on my mbpr

Attached Files:

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Precision is affected by location, not by the software used to locate.

You'll get excellent precision when your iPhone is out of doors, full bars and able to get GPS signal.

You'll get half decent precision if you are indoors but using WI-FI

Basically, the less info there is for your iPhone to be located, the less precise said location will be.

3. chrfr macrumors 603

Your phone has GPS capabilities, but Macs do not, so "Find my Mac" will be less precise because the location is determined by the Mac being able to locate nearby wifi networks. It seems as though the location precision is augmented by having your phone nearby and on the same wifi network, but I have no proof of that.

4. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Reading the post slightly differently from the others that responded. An app "downloaded" to your Mac through iTunes is just making it available locally on the Mac to then install on your phone. You don't download apps in iTunes for use on the Mac, you use the Mac App Store for that. This would be why you couldn't find a "Find my iPhone" app in Spotlight.

To find your iPhone from a Mac, you use iCloud.