Downloaded High Sierra but didn't install. How to remove.

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by lambertjohn, Oct 1, 2017.

1. lambertjohn macrumors 6502a

I went ahead and downloaded the High Sierra installation file to my 2015 MacBook Pro 15, but after reading all the negative reviews, I've decided not to install it. So I'm guessing it's sitting somewhere on my hard drive, taking up space, but where? I'd really love to get this thing off my hard drive as if I had never downloaded it to begin with. Probably a really simple thing, and I'm sure I'm going to be embarrassed when someone points out where it is and how to do it. So that's my question, anyone have any idea how to find the file and delete it?

2. Partron22 macrumors 68020

Partron22

Look in your Applications folder.
    It's "Install macOS High Sierra.app"
    My copy is 5.18GB long.

3. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

Patron22 answers where it is.

But... I suggest that you DON'T delete it.
    Rather, move it somewhere else for now -- an archive volume, etc.
    If at some point in the future you want to try it, you won't have to redownload it.

Or... if you have a USB flashdrive of 16gb (or larger) around ... use either "Install Disk Creator" or "DiskMaker X" to create a bootable USB flash drive installer. Then, just put it away for safekeeping.

4. lambertjohn thread starter macrumors 6502a

Great idea! Thanks! I'll dump it to a flash drive and install when I'm not such a coward. My 2015 runs great the way it is, so I'm going to wait a couple of revisions and see what happens. Thanks again!
    --- Post Merged, Oct 1, 2017 ---
    It was there. Thanks! And you're right, 5.18GB. Big!