Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pete.kyle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Hey,

As I am sure many of you did yesterday, I upgraded to the leaked 2.0 firmware. It installed correctly but was a little unstable. When using the 'Maps' location finding functionality I noticed it had become substantially more accurate, now to within about 15 metres.

I have now reinstalled the official iPhone 2.0 software that was meant for my original iPhone and the accuracy of location info has gone back to being a few miles.

Can anyone explain this?! Anyone else notice this?!

Pete

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
Yes, I noticed this too and cant find an explanation for it at all. Cell reception is a little weak where I live, so the location info it would give was vastly inaccurate. IE, several miles out. In other locations with a stronger signal it was better. However, since upgrading to software V2, it's shockingly accurate at home now. It seems to have pointed out where I live down to about 50ft accuracy, if not less!? I need to test it more in other places for certain, but so far the results are surprising to say the least.

kiblet

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2008
I came across this thread looking for an explanation for why my "old" iPhone which used to pinpoint my location within about 50 feet, suddenly got much more inaccurate (almost by 2 miles) with the 2.0 update. I always use official firmware/software releases downloaded and installed via iTunes, so I'm not comparing leaked and official versions in my case.

Any info much appreciated, as this is currently way too inaccurate to use for navigation, whereas in the past with that previous (1.1.4, I think?) version I'd used, it was accurate enough to get my bearings in an unfamiliar part of town. I'm hoping there's going to be a fix, because it's pretty useless the way it is, even with a strong signal.

jersey

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2007
I noticed this too. With the "unofficial" it put me on the exact corner I live. Now with the "official" update, it shows I live in NYC. It almost makes me want to switch back.

Phossil

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2004
Hit restore in iTunes to bring you to the latest build, this has been shown to fix a number of problems. The latest build has the same number as the leaked one but for some reason has been shown to be more stable so far.

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
I came across this thread looking for an explanation for why my "old" iPhone which used to pinpoint my location within about 50 feet, suddenly got much more inaccurate (almost by 2 miles) with the 2.0 update. I always use official firmware/software releases downloaded and installed via iTunes, so I'm not comparing leaked and official versions in my case.

Any info much appreciated, as this is currently way too inaccurate to use for navigation, whereas in the past with that previous (1.1.4, I think?) version I'd used, it was accurate enough to get my bearings in an unfamiliar part of town. I'm hoping there's going to be a fix, because it's pretty useless the way it is, even with a strong signal.

yeah they changed the triangulation measurement from blocks to meters.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.