Downloading music in Canada now illegal on P2P

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by haiggy, Jun 12, 2008.

1. haiggy macrumors 65816

Infact, not just music but books and movies. You cannot copy a DVD onto your computer you own, the only exception to copying to your computer is with music CDs.

Previously, uploading music, movies, etc and hosting all of it in Canada was illegal. Soon that is about to change, and downloading will also be illegal. Apparently authorities will be going after people although I'm not sure to what degree they will enforce this new law, but you could be fined $500 -- I heard this information from my local news station.

Full Article:
    http://www.cbc.ca/arts/music/story/2007/11/19/copyright-law.html

2. nick9191 macrumors 68040

I think what you meant to say was downloading music off Peer to peer networks unless the music is freeware will soon be illegal.

3. haiggy thread starter macrumors 65816

That will be illegal, yes, as well as downloading movies and books, etc. The only exception is importing music CDs which is legal. DVDs it is not.

As I said, it's a big change because it WASN'T illegal to download music off of a P2P network, only to be sharing the files. It was more of an ethics thing, not a law.. until now.

Edit: Oh, I think I see what you mean. My thread title suggests downloading music off of places such as iTunes is illegal... gotcha.

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

no i think he means that this hasn't been enacted yet and still has to pass into law.

5. haiggy thread starter macrumors 65816

Ah, I guess that too. I heard it is a for sure go though. We'll see.

6. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Well, I'm assuming that it's all been quite illegal for some time, in that it is a violation of international copyright law. You folks are just adding some national laws on top of that that may be enforced a bit more tightly.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

While I do download music sometimes, I actually think that downloading music like this should be illegal. I'm not going to defend downloading just because I benefited from it.

Downloading has now been taken away from us, but honestly, any loophole that allowed us to download entire albums without payment of some sort should have been patched up ages ago. This was a long time coming.

8. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Much better article:

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/3025/125/

I don't think it can be overstated just how much I want a working digital distribution system that I can legitimately pay for. I'm a working professional and I view buying music and movies as an important contribution to the artists -- doubly so if it's a Canadian artist.

This isn't a progressive bill that's going to allow artists rights to flourish and encourage the growth of digital distribution. It's nothing short of a hand-out to American interests, and the bill is being fast-tracked through the House of Commons in a dishonest fashion counter to promises made by the Conservative party, and does not include the public-level negotiations Canadians were promised. Meanwhile, the frankly illegal practices of Canadian ISPs that undermines the possibility of a digital distribution system continues to make such systems impossible, without the federal government lifting a finger. The priorities here are clearly not to establish a fair system, but to allow for a US-style bludgeoning of P2P users.

9. Izzy macrumors member

This legislation is troubling.

From the Globe & Mail: "What has some critics especially concerned about the bill is that uploaders and anyone caught hacking "digital locks" - such as copy controls or digital rights management (DRM) technology - could face damages of up to $20,000."

I want artists to be compensated for their creations and I can understand an effort to stop piracy but I think this goes too far. My concern is the effect that this is going to have on personal privacy.

Canada is also negotiating an international agreement called Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA). According to Canwest News Service, "The deal would create a international regulator that could turn border guards and other public security personnel into copyright police. The security officials would be charged with checking laptops, iPods and even cellular phones for content that "infringes" on copyright laws, such as ripped CDs and movies.
    The guards would also be responsible for determining what is infringing content and what is not."

This goes too far. The government shouldn't have the right to go snooping around on my Macbook just because an industry is desperately trying to protect its dying business model.

10. haiggy thread starter macrumors 65816

Wow that's retarded................. hope that doesn't go through at all. If it does, Canada is just super retarded. Someone else gets to determine if all your songs are downloaded and just look around on all of your electronic equipment? No thanks. Also, unlocking phones will be illegal? What? No unlocked iPhones in Canada? WTF are they doing/thinking...

Thanks for the article it was a lot better.

11. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Or not.

13. haiggy thread starter macrumors 65816

lol? We've got it way worse if this bill passes. It's more like Welcome to America and beyond, where you no longer have ANY rights. You atleast have some.

14. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

This goes a lot further towards protecting American interests than Canadian, as well as this bill's connection to ACTA.

Anti-circumvention laws also makes it illegal for Canadians and Canadian companies to modify, improve, or interact with protected media unless they have permission from US-based manufacturer. This puts the Canadian tech industry at the mercy of the American tech industry. This also means that the above mentioned Canadian film/record/digital entertainment industries are going to have to comply to American standards and employ American-made technologies.

Additionally, the RIAA applauds your country's awful DMCA. Why wouldn't the similar CIRA also want a similar bill? I doubt they care if this caters to American interests as long as they get their piece of the pie.

15. millar876 macrumors 6502a

millar876

So, if its doing to become illegal to download a song without paying a fee for our Canadian cousins, could you theoreticly get busted and fined for downloading the free single of the week from the itms, or even downloading one of those "pay what you want to (even if its £/$/€00.00) albums a couple of bands have done?

16. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The new laws are being pushed at the behest of the CRIA. Feel free to theorize away, and to look for ghosts in the machine if it makes you happy -- but I don't see how it can get any clearer than that.

17. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

The new law is being pushed in no small part due to intense external pressure from: American lobbies, the MPAA (priority watch list) and RIAA, demands from David 'Horty Port' Wilkins, US Senators, Governor Schwarzenegger (ad nauseam). The bill mirrors the US DMCA in many important ways, and is being pushed through without consultation from Canadian Consumer groups and key Canadian stakeholders. The bill is being tabled by a Canadian political party with a history of strong ties to American industry. There's nothing shocking, conspiratal, or even unusual in my statement that Prentice is acting in no small part due to heavy pressure from the US government and multinational media advocacy groups. "At the behest of the CRIA" is a gross oversimplifaction.

18. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Your implication that the CRIA is being manipulated by US interests doesn't wash with me. To accept that I'd have to be convinced that rights-holders interests in protecting their works are somehow inherently different in Canada than they are in the US. Oddly enough, it's always been so easy to point fingers at the RIAA for their role in tightening copyright laws here, but when their analog in the Canada does it, it must be someone else pulling the strings. Doesn't make much sense to me.

19. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I'm implicating the CRIA is capitalizing on, not being manipulated by, US pressure.

Canadian industry and law being effected by powerful US corporate and government interest doesn't wash with you?

I'm not pointing fingers at the RIAA, nor the MPAA, US media advocacy groups, the US government, or for that matter the CRIA. I am squarly pointing my finger at the current Canadian federal government for bowing to said pressures without an honest dialogue with Canadian consumer rights groups, the Songwriters Association of Canada, and a number of Canadian industry leaders and copyright experts.

20. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I think you should go back and read the article again, which clearly states that recent court decisions in Canada have made prosecuting rights violators difficult. And again, you haven't shown in any way, shape or form how the interests of Canadian rights holders differ from the interests of American rights holders.

21. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

Theft is theft, whether or not you are breaking a digital lock and stealing a download or breaking a door lock and stealing a CD. Way to go Canada!

22. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

lol i feel i should have the right to back up dvds and not have my laptop searched if they felt like it

23. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Nor did I set out to. Keep moving the goalposts, though.

It's not a question of whether P2P file swapping is a form of theft — because it certainly is — it's a question of the rights you have to ownership of digital media once you've purchased it. A balance needs to be struck between consumer rights and creator rights, which is something this bill does not do. Canadian copyright law typically changes once per decade, and thus such a bill needs to be carefully considered with input from all parties.

To quote Michael Geist, this bill does not protect consumer rights because:

Everybody dropped the ball on file sharing, and it's long past due that creators were duly compensated. But not at the cost of consumer rights.

24. monke macrumors 65816

monke

I don't like that one bit. We can't control our own personal property. That's like saying we aren't capable of controlling our own personal property, and then taking control of it.

I could see banning downloading anything and everything but banning something we buy is ruthless.

I could go on forever, but I really don't feel like it.

Although I highly dislike it, its a better then the "we're adding $5 to your internet bill for illegal downloads" thing that they were talking about.

25. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

No, that was my original question. It hasn't changed just because you've decided not to answer it.