Downloading Non-FLV Videos from Activity Monitor

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by knightvisionn, Apr 21, 2009.

1. knightvisionn macrumors member

OK, so let's say I want to download a video, so I find the video playing in the activity monitor.

In this case, let's call it coolvideo.avi

Now, when I double click on the video, instead of downloading it, I get sent to a blank page with nothing but the video.

Is this because of the .avi format, safari, or is the video just protected on the website?

Help please :D

2. hwojtek macrumors 6502a

hwojtek

Activity Monitor has nothing to do with the video. There is always an application playing it. Activity Monitor shows the, erm, activities of deamons, applications - in short "processes".
    In your case, the process involved is a browser using a QT plugin. Once you look up into the address bar, you will see the url to the file. Looks like this: http://server.com/folder/coolvideo.avi
    And once you check the browsers' "File" menu, there is a magic "Save as...".

3. jackerin macrumors 6502a

Format. Quicktime is set to handle playback of AVI files on the internet, so it loads it automatically in that. Meanwhile, FLV does not play natively, nor does it have a specific plugin appointed (all FLV files that is played with Flash is loaded via a separate SWF-file).

Either hold in the alt-key while double-clicking (should download directly) or copy-paste into the download manager.

(Above poster thinks you're talking about the application Activity Monitor.)

4. knightvisionn thread starter macrumors member

This worked. Thanks man :D