downloading photos - assigning names to groups of photos

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by userjoy, Jan 10, 2012.

1. userjoy macrumors member

I would like to be able to download photos from my camera onto my external hard drive, so I can access them with Finder (NOT iPhoto). And in doing so, I would like to be able to assign one name to a group of photos and have it number them - so I could mark a bunch of photos, then move them all from the camera to the disk with filenames like Steve1, Steve2, Steve3, etc.

Is there a way to do this?

On my PC when I connect my camera I can open a photo download wizard that lets me mark the photos I want to download, give them all one name, and it will put them in the folder I indicate and name them sequentially.

If I used windows explorer it's only a bit harder - I could mark the photos, move them, and then use one rename command to rename many photos to a single name, and they'll come out numbered.

I don't see any equivalent to the windows download wizard at all. I think I should be able to copy to my external hard drive, but I can't find any way to rename more than one file (or photo) at a time - the only way to rename seems to be to click on an individual file (or photo) and type in a new name, then do the same for the next photo.

How can I do this on a Mac? I have a Macbook Air, running OS X 10.7, in case that matters.

I couldn't find an answer to this in the fora - if there is one already, please direct me to it.

Thanks for all advice!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. userjoy thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. So the supposedly oh-so-elegant Mac operating system can't do this simple task and one has to pay for add-on software to do it - after having paid 50% more to buy a Mac instead of a PC? Yipes!

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Windows doesn't come with Name Mangler's capabilities built-in, either. You can use Automator if you choose, but Name Mangler is much quicker, simpler and more robust. At 10 bucks, it's a bargain. I got it years ago, when it was free.

5. userjoy thread starter macrumors member

Geez, so there seriously is NO way to rename a group of files in the mac operating system? And no way to mark photos and assign names to them while downloading?

(Both are trivial in Windows, without add-ons - I've been doing them for years. Perhaps namewrangler has all kinds of other capabilities that windows doesn't, though.)

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I already said you can use Automator, which comes with Mac OS X.

7. axeldtf macrumors 6502