Downloading to Iphone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TroutChaser, Jan 10, 2012.

1. TroutChaser macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I recently got this iphone 4 for my Christmas present.
    I set it up set my ringtone and message alerts.
    they are not the best offering.
    I would like to download some custom ringtones and message alerts, but it is almost impossible to do. If someone would be kind enough to give me some simple steps as to get this accomplish I would be very appreciative.
    if the instruction are somewhat lenghty you can send them to me directly at
    junbug45@hotmail.com

thanks everyone,
    trout

2. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Congrats on the new iPhone. There are two ways to get media onto your iPhone (ringtones, movies, songs etc...):

1. You have to purchase them from the iTunes store on your iPhone

or

2. You can download any media on your PC/MAC, then sync it to your iPhone using iTunes on your PC/MAC.

Go here for further instructions/tutorials: http://www.apple.com/itunes/how-to/

3. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Welcome to Apple.

You have just run into one of the thing I and other do not like about Apple. The system is near closed and Apple want you to use iTune to do most anything.

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

While there are things I don't particularly care for in the Apple eco-system, the relationship between hardware/software is not one of them. It's stupid simple to make ringtones in iTunes with your own media, let alone garageband and the multitude of apps/websites that let you do it. Yes, you have to go through iTunes to actually transfer the custom tone, but everything else can easily be done outside of it.

5. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Sorry but it is even MORE "stupid simple" to just move a file onto my SG2 via USB and you are DONE!

No garage band or iTunes required.

6. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Just any file you want and it automagically knows which section/time frame you want to play? I'm not being snarky, I'm just curious if your phone can actually do that.

7. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Sorry I am not into converting songs into ring tones. I moved all my ring tones from my RIM blackberry I had been using for years and years and they sounds even better on my SG2. I will try but just about anything you move into the Notification folder in your device or the micro SD can be used as a ring tone, notification or alert. Android does not care.

Sorry, I was being snarky. I love both devices;)

8. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I used to think like that (it would be nice to drag & drop like a flashdrive) but I like how I can use Smart Playlists in iTunes & the organization features it brings. Either way, iTunes is bloated & slow though.

9. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

No, no problem, I guess I just see it as you're going to have to modify the original file anyway (unless you're using legacy tones) in some fashion, and iTunes/Garageband make it really simple to do so. I tend to use all my music for my tones, so I don't generally download sounds, and you're right, in that case it is more annoying.

10. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Do not get me wrong. I own and use the latest iPod, iPad 2 3G and a 4S. They are awesome. I also use a 27 MAC at both office and house but where I jump off the boat is were I formatted both the MAC drive with very small iOS partitions and use bootcamp with Win7 Pro on both. I get the best of both worlds.

Each of us have our own ways.

I am very interested in adding the Nokia ACE 900 to the collection, it will use the same size SIM card as the iPhone so going back and forth will be easy. I think WIndows will be a player soon. With Mango and the new Win 8 tablets arriving soon, they are not done yet!

11. cynics macrumors G3

Too much work!

Download ringtone you want from the web on the phone.

Done.

Worst case edit it on the phone. Best thing about android is the absence of a computer. Oh and the ability to bypass the market to get stuff free. :)

12. TroutChaser thread starter macrumors newbie

FSMBP thanks for the reply nd to everyone else who also replied.
    The Iphone is a challenge but I hope to master it soon.

Trout.