Downloading via torrents. Very slow since I switched to mac...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by james6000, Jul 31, 2007.

1. james6000 macrumors member

james6000

I've been with my MB for about a month now and recently tried to download some torrent files using transmission. But for some reason the speeds are ranging from 0.0 KB/s - 0.2 KB/s.

I'm using exactly the same port as I did when I used on windows (where I was using the unbeatable uTorrent) but the files don't really seem to be downloading.

Can anyone help me on this or is it something to do with port forwarding again (I hated dealing with that on windows)? I've read up on the transmission help forums about upnp and dmz and confirmed all those. I'm using a Netgear DG834PN wireless router if that helps.

2. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

Okay, two thoughts...

1) Try Azereus and see if you get the same low speeds?

2) Could you potentially be on a different IP completely dropping your ratio?

3. nutman macrumors regular

Is your firewall on? Or maybe you need to forward your ports on your router.

4. james6000 thread starter macrumors member

james6000

1) Tried and same result

2) I use a dynamic rather than static IP but that never used to affect speeds.

I haven't installed a firewall on the mac. If you are referring to the router I've enabled all incoming and outgoing connections

5. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

I believe a firewall is included (search in finder), but since you are unaware of it it probably was never enabled in the first place.

I have no clue what the issue could be, try ethernet instead of wireless, my router is very bad so I get slow speeds on it.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

System Preferences -> Sharing (It's not enabled by default.)

Secondly, are you making sure your upload speed isn't overwhelming your connection?

7. james6000 thread starter macrumors member

james6000

In this sharing window, which check boxes should I tick?

8. apb3 macrumors regular

apb3

xtorrent consistently gives surprisingly speedy d/l of torrents for me, both wirelessly and wired. Once you pay for it, that is... Give it a shot.

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

None of them need to be checked unless you want to enable that service.

10. JangoFett124 macrumors regular

Xtorrent uses the Transmission download engine. Seems odd that you encourage purchasing before seeing better results...

11. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

Agreed. I switched to Azureus a while back from BitsOnWheels. My speeds are much better. Port Forwarding is router specific, not OS. You'll need to load Netgear's software to do that.

12. james6000 thread starter macrumors member

james6000

But the annoying thing is, it's not that my speeds are slow, it's that they don't seem to be downloading at all. Where everything else works fine internet wise.

If this helps, in the transmission network settings, it says "Port is stealth" with a red dot and "Error mapping port" with a red dot. I have automatically map port box checked.

13. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

James,

I use Transmission and have the same router as you. My experience was pretty much the same as yours. I followed the instructions on Transmission's website re; port forwarding/opening etc., and now every thing's fine. It's the router that needs to be configured IIRC.

14. james6000 thread starter macrumors member

james6000

Really? Please could you link me to the said web page?

15. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

I misled you a bit there, the info's actually within Transmission Help. However, this thread on Transmission's forum covers the basics.

16. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

While Transmission's help topic is useful, you could also use the great guides at portforward.com to set it up, too.

They also offer a relatively cheap but incredibly useful programme named PFConfig, which automatically configures a router to do exactly what you want. I have a copy running on VMWare (it's Windows only), don't use it much, but it makes it far easier than configuring the two routers in the house. Especially when the interface of one was written by a drunk. I think. :rolleyes:

You may also be interested to know that Azureus is one of the slower Mac torrent clients. While the only (IIRC) fully featured one on the Mac, it's Java underpinnings seem to do nothing for it's pure speed, and memory use. Transmission is overall better in terms of footprint and transfer rates. I've used both enough, on a dedicated 300mbps line, to see that Transmission just does a little better.

µTorrent is also on it's way to the Mac (linky), but I've been hearing continual reports about this for almost two years.

17. james6000 thread starter macrumors member

james6000

Thanks SO MUCH!!. That forum was perfect. I've got the green light now "Port is open" and there is actual downloading occurring in transmission (although not as fast as uTorrent).

18. apb3 macrumors regular

apb3

Odd in what way. I suggested he try out the app as he seemed to be having technical issues with sharing, ports etc... Never had to even deal with that with xtorrent.

James: Glad it worked out anyway.

19. Zw42a macrumors member

I tried uTorrent and some other torrent programs but I'm still with Transmission. Never have any problems with firewalls or low speeds.

20. Oli2007 macrumors newbie

Torrent sound

I recently started to download torrent files and have just finished downloading a film but when it plays on RealPlayer there is no sound?

Can anyone help?

Oli UK